Epson Stylus Color 640

Hi
I am new at this but could someone give me some information on how fis to
the subject printer problem.

The problem seems to have began when I accidentally clicked the print button
on Office 97 instead of the save button.

When this happened I quickly click the stop button on the progress meter and
aborted the print.

However after that the printer; paper, ink, and power lights came on and
have been flashing since then. When I try to print anything including the
test patterns the message comes up that there is a problem sending to the
device connected to Ipt1.

The printer has approximately 50 sheets of a good grade of paper and newly
filled ink cartridges and is not jammed. The printer had been working fine
until this point.

I have tried powering down completely and uninstalled and reinstalled the
drivers but the problem still exists.

My Christmas cards where to be printed this weekend but at this point I
really wish that I had brought my Dot-Matrix printer along.

Help
lifesrailroad@hotmail.com
20 answers Last reply
More about epson stylus color

    Is the print spooler stuck in stop or pause mode? You may have to delete
    any jobs left in it.
    Are there any self-test modes that work without a cable plugged into the
    printer? Key combinations on the printer?

    "ALBERT C. GOOD JR." <retirement@pa.net> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I am new at this but could someone give me some information on how fis to
    > the subject printer problem.
    >
    > The problem seems to have began when I accidentally clicked the print
    > button
    > on Office 97 instead of the save button.
    >
    > When this happened I quickly click the stop button on the progress meter
    > and
    > aborted the print.
    >
    > However after that the printer; paper, ink, and power lights came on and
    > have been flashing since then. When I try to print anything including the
    > test patterns the message comes up that there is a problem sending to the
    > device connected to Ipt1.
    >
    > The printer has approximately 50 sheets of a good grade of paper and newly
    > filled ink cartridges and is not jammed. The printer had been working
    > fine
    > until this point.
    >
    > I have tried powering down completely and uninstalled and reinstalled the
    > drivers but the problem still exists.
    >
    > My Christmas cards where to be printed this weekend but at this point I
    > really wish that I had brought my Dot-Matrix printer along.
    >
    > Help
    > lifesrailroad@hotmail.com

    As far as I can see the blinkin lights are the test mode.
    Just tried your recomendation but no success.

    I have rebooted and checked the pause mode and as far as the computer is
    telling me it is not in pause mode.

    Also have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver after dumping outstanding
    print jobs.

    ALBERT C. GOOD JR. wrote:
    > As far as I can see the blinkin lights are the test mode.
    > Just tried your recomendation but no success.
    >
    > I have rebooted and checked the pause mode and as far as the computer is
    > telling me it is not in pause mode.
    >
    > Also have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver after dumping outstanding
    > print jobs.
    >

    > "SteveB" <sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message
    >
    >>Is the print spooler stuck in stop or pause mode? You may have to delete
    >>any jobs left in it.
    >>Are there any self-test modes that work without a cable plugged into the
    >>printer? Key combinations on the printer?
    >>

    >>"ALBERT C. GOOD JR." <retirement@pa.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>I am new at this but could someone give me some information on how fis

    >>>the subject printer problem.
    >>>
    >>>The problem seems to have began when I accidentally clicked the print
    >>>button
    >>>on Office 97 instead of the save button.
    >>>
    >>>When this happened I quickly click the stop button on the progress meter
    >>>and
    >>>aborted the print.
    >>>
    >>>However after that the printer; paper, ink, and power lights came on and
    >>>have been flashing since then. When I try to print anything including
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>test patterns the message comes up that there is a problem sending to
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>device connected to Ipt1.
    >>>
    >>>The printer has approximately 50 sheets of a good grade of paper and
    >
    > newly
    >
    >>>filled ink cartridges and is not jammed. The printer had been working
    >>>fine
    >>>until this point.
    >>>
    >>>I have tried powering down completely and uninstalled and reinstalled
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>drivers but the problem still exists.
    >>>
    >>>My Christmas cards where to be printed this weekend but at this point I
    >>>really wish that I had brought my Dot-Matrix printer along.
    >>>
    >>>Help
    >>>lifesrailroad@hotmail.com

    Sounds like you reached the limit for your ink sponges. A flag gets set
    after a certain amount of usage which requires you to replace your
    sponges (only if you really want to) and to reset the service flag ( you
    have to). There's a button pushing sequence which many people have
    trouble with. I suggest you just down load this free utility and to
    clear the flag.
    http://ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

    ALBERT C. GOOD JR. wrote:
    > As far as I can see the blinkin lights are the test mode.
    > Just tried your recomendation but no success.
    >
    > I have rebooted and checked the pause mode and as far as the computer is
    > telling me it is not in pause mode.
    >
    > Also have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver after dumping outstanding
    > print jobs.
    >

    > "SteveB" <sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message
    >
    >>Is the print spooler stuck in stop or pause mode? You may have to delete
    >>any jobs left in it.
    >>Are there any self-test modes that work without a cable plugged into the
    >>printer? Key combinations on the printer?
    >>

    >>"ALBERT C. GOOD JR." <retirement@pa.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>I am new at this but could someone give me some information on how fis

    >>>the subject printer problem.
    >>>
    >>>The problem seems to have began when I accidentally clicked the print
    >>>button
    >>>on Office 97 instead of the save button.
    >>>
    >>>When this happened I quickly click the stop button on the progress meter
    >>>and
    >>>aborted the print.
    >>>
    >>>However after that the printer; paper, ink, and power lights came on and
    >>>have been flashing since then. When I try to print anything including
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>test patterns the message comes up that there is a problem sending to
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>device connected to Ipt1.
    >>>
    >>>The printer has approximately 50 sheets of a good grade of paper and
    >
    > newly
    >
    >>>filled ink cartridges and is not jammed. The printer had been working
    >>>fine
    >>>until this point.
    >>>
    >>>I have tried powering down completely and uninstalled and reinstalled
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>drivers but the problem still exists.
    >>>
    >>>My Christmas cards where to be printed this weekend but at this point I
    >>>really wish that I had brought my Dot-Matrix printer along.
    >>>
    >>>Help
    >>>lifesrailroad@hotmail.com

    If you don't want to try the button pushing thing first I found this
    post that Art Entlich posted awhile back (thanks Art, nice job).

    "EPSON 440 and 640 PRINTERS:

    To set the printer into EEPROM management mode:

    With the printer and computer OFF, disconnect the printer from the
    computer at the printer.

    With printer OFF hold down Load/Eject+Cleaning buttons, while holding
    them, press the ON SWITCH

    This Enters the EEPROM Reset mode. (The Load/Eject LED blinks for a few
    seconds.)

    To Reset the EEPROM:

    While the Load/Eject LED is blinking (for about 2 seconds), press down
    the Cleaning switch for 10 seconds.

    After 10 seconds, both Bk and CMY ink LEDs come ON simultaneously.

    Confirming the both LEDs are ON, release the Cleaning switch. The
    printer automatically starts initialization operation to reset the
    specified addresses in the EEPROM.

    Once your printer has completed the initialization process, turn it off
    via the power button.

    With both printer and computer OFF reattach the printer cable to the
    printer.

    When you next need to turn it on, it should function normally."

    This is starting to make sense.

    However the printer only has a:

    paper eject button which sets the head in the position to replace the
    cartridges,
    a button with three ink drops over it and,
    a off / on button
    There is no black ink button that I can see any where on the printer.

    Am I correct in presuming that the button with the ink drops over it is the
    CMY button?

    :)

    ALBERT C. GOOD JR. wrote:
    > This is starting to make sense.
    >
    > However the printer only has a:
    >
    > paper eject button which sets the head in the position to replace the
    > cartridges,
    > a button with three ink drops over it and,

    The button with the three ink drops is the Cleaning Button.

    > a off / on button
    > There is no black ink button that I can see any where on the printer.

    That is correct. There is however an LED which indicates when the Black
    cartridge is empty or low. LED is Light Emitting Diode not a button.

    > Am I correct in presuming that the button with the ink drops over it is the
    > CMY button?

    No, as stated earlier, that is the Cleaning Button. There is no CMY
    button. There is however also a LED that indicates when the color
    cartridge is empty or low. The colors happen to be Cyan, Magenta, and
    Yellow, or CMY for short.

    If this is still not clear as to which buttons and LEDs are which I
    suggest you check page 116 of the manual. If you don't have the manual
    handy you can download here
    http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/sc640_/sc640_u1.pdf

    > :)
    >
    > "tomcas" <tomcas@mjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>ALBERT C. GOOD JR. wrote:
    >>
    >>>As far as I can see the blinkin lights are the test mode.
    >>>Just tried your recomendation but no success.
    >>>
    >>>I have rebooted and checked the pause mode and as far as the computer is
    >>>telling me it is not in pause mode.
    >>>
    >>>Also have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver after dumping
    >
    > outstanding
    >
    >>>print jobs.
    >>>

    >>>"SteveB" <sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message

    > delete

    > meter

    > and

    >>>the

    >>>the

    >>>newly

    >>>the

    >>If you don't want to try the button pushing thing first I found this
    >>post that Art Entlich posted awhile back (thanks Art, nice job).
    >>
    >>"EPSON 440 and 640 PRINTERS:
    >>

    >>To set the printer into EEPROM management mode:
    >>

    >>With the printer and computer OFF, disconnect the printer from the
    >>computer at the printer.
    >>

    >>With printer OFF hold down Load/Eject+Cleaning buttons, while holding
    >>them, press the ON SWITCH
    >>

    >>This Enters the EEPROM Reset mode. (The Load/Eject LED blinks for a few
    >>seconds.)
    >>

    >>To Reset the EEPROM:
    >>

    >>While the Load/Eject LED is blinking (for about 2 seconds), press down
    >>the Cleaning switch for 10 seconds.
    >>

    >>After 10 seconds, both Bk and CMY ink LEDs come ON simultaneously.
    >>

    >>Confirming the both LEDs are ON, release the Cleaning switch. The
    >>printer automatically starts initialization operation to reset the
    >>specified addresses in the EEPROM.
    >>

    >>Once your printer has completed the initialization process, turn it off
    >>via the power button.
    >>

    >>With both printer and computer OFF reattach the printer cable to the
    >>printer.
    >>

    >>When you next need to turn it on, it should function normally."

    I have a feeling this was coincidence, and you have just hit the magic
    number on your Epson printer and it has reached the protection number,
    telling you the waste ink pads require replacing. If this is the first
    time this has happened, and you have owned the printer from new, that
    means you've had this printer from a good number of years, since the 640
    is an old printer in the Epson line up.

    There is always a slight risk that the ink pads could be filled and
    might leak. As I stated it is unlikely with a printer this old, because
    the majority of the dye ink is water and glycol and both do evaporate
    over time. However, for your own safety, you may choose to place the
    printer on a tray, or on some absorbent pads or paper with a plastic
    liner under it, to make sure it will not damage your furniture.

    Here are the basic instructions to reset the EPROM in your printer:

    EPSON 440 and 640 PRINTERS:

    To set the printer into EEPROM management mode:

    With the printer and computer OFF, disconnect the printer from the
    computer at the printer.

    With printer OFF hold down Load/Eject+Cleaning buttons, while holding
    them, press the ON SWITCH

    This Enters the EEPROM Reset mode. (The Load/Eject LED blinks for a few
    seconds.)

    To Reset the EEPROM:

    While the Load/Eject LED is blinking (for about 2 seconds), press down
    the Cleaning switch and hold for 10 seconds.

    After 10 seconds, both Bk and CMY ink LEDs come ON simultaneously.

    Confirming that both LEDs are ON, release the Cleaning switch. The
    printer automatically starts initialization operation to reset the
    specified addresses in the EEPROM.

    Once your printer has completed the initialization process, turn it off
    via the power button.

    With both printer and computer OFF reattach the printer cable to the
    printer.

    When you next need to turn it on, it should function normally.

    Art

    ALBERT C. GOOD JR. wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am new at this but could someone give me some information on how fis to
    > the subject printer problem.
    >
    > The problem seems to have began when I accidentally clicked the print button
    > on Office 97 instead of the save button.
    >
    > When this happened I quickly click the stop button on the progress meter and
    > aborted the print.
    >
    > However after that the printer; paper, ink, and power lights came on and
    > have been flashing since then. When I try to print anything including the
    > test patterns the message comes up that there is a problem sending to the
    > device connected to Ipt1.
    >
    > The printer has approximately 50 sheets of a good grade of paper and newly
    > filled ink cartridges and is not jammed. The printer had been working fine
    > until this point.
    >
    > I have tried powering down completely and uninstalled and reinstalled the
    > drivers but the problem still exists.
    >
    > My Christmas cards where to be printed this weekend but at this point I
    > really wish that I had brought my Dot-Matrix printer along.
    >
    > Help
    > lifesrailroad@hotmail.com

    There is a very slight ambiguity in the instructions below that may be
    what is confusing you. I have added some details that hopefully will
    allow you to step through it.

    Art

    Maybe this will help:

    >>"EPSON 440 and 640 PRINTERS:
    >>

    >>To set the printer into EEPROM management mode:
    >>

    >>With the printer and computer OFF, disconnect the printer from the
    >>computer at the printer.
    >>

    >>With printer OFF hold down Load/Eject button (That's the one that
    loads the paper... it also will eject a loaded paper) and the Cleaning
    button (that's teh one with the ink drops above it), and while holding
    those two buttons down, press the ON SWITCH

    >>This Enters the EEPROM Reset mode. (The Load/Eject LED (light) blinks
    for a few seconds.)

    >>To Reset the EEPROM:
    >>

    >>While the Load/Eject LED (light) is blinking (it will do so for about
    2 seconds), press down the Cleaning button (again, the one with the ink
    drops above it) for 10 seconds.

    >>After 10 seconds, both Black and CMY ink LEDs (those are the lights)
    come ON simultaneously.

    ALBERT C. GOOD JR. wrote:

    > This is starting to make sense.
    >
    > However the printer only has a:
    >
    > paper eject button which sets the head in the position to replace the
    > cartridges,
    > a button with three ink drops over it and,
    > a off / on button
    > There is no black ink button that I can see any where on the printer.
    >
    > Am I correct in presuming that the button with the ink drops over it is the
    > CMY button?
    >
    > :)
    >
    > "tomcas" <tomcas@mjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>ALBERT C. GOOD JR. wrote:
    >>
    >>>As far as I can see the blinkin lights are the test mode.
    >>>Just tried your recomendation but no success.
    >>>
    >>>I have rebooted and checked the pause mode and as far as the computer is
    >>>telling me it is not in pause mode.
    >>>
    >>>Also have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver after dumping
    >
    > outstanding
    >
    >>>print jobs.
    >>>

    >>>"SteveB" <sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message

    > delete

    > meter

    > and

    >>>the

    >>>the

    >>>newly

    >>>the

    >>If you don't want to try the button pushing thing first I found this
    >>post that Art Entlich posted awhile back (thanks Art, nice job).
    >>
    >>"EPSON 440 and 640 PRINTERS:
    >>

    >>To set the printer into EEPROM management mode:
    >>

    >>With the printer and computer OFF, disconnect the printer from the
    >>computer at the printer.
    >>

    >>With printer OFF hold down Load/Eject+Cleaning buttons, while holding
    >>them, press the ON SWITCH
    >>

    >>This Enters the EEPROM Reset mode. (The Load/Eject LED blinks for a few
    >>seconds.)
    >>

    >>To Reset the EEPROM:
    >>

    >>While the Load/Eject LED is blinking (for about 2 seconds), press down
    >>the Cleaning switch for 10 seconds.
    >>

    >>After 10 seconds, both Bk and CMY ink LEDs come ON simultaneously.
    >>

    >>Confirming the both LEDs are ON, release the Cleaning switch. The
    >>printer automatically starts initialization operation to reset the
    >>specified addresses in the EEPROM.
    >>

    >>Once your printer has completed the initialization process, turn it off
    >>via the power button.
    >>

    >>With both printer and computer OFF reattach the printer cable to the
    >>printer.
    >>

    >>When you next need to turn it on, it should function normally."

    I tried top down load the uti;lity as suggested, it seems to have installed
    butwhen I try to start it usng te desktop icon or when I reboot nothng seems
    to be happening.

    I tried to use a email link that was provided and also to contact the online
    help again nothing was happening.

    Albert
    operations@pa.net

    > ALBERT C. GOOD JR. wrote:
    > > As far as I can see the blinkin lights are the test mode.
    > > Just tried your recomendation but no success.
    > >
    > > I have rebooted and checked the pause mode and as far as the computer is
    > > telling me it is not in pause mode.
    > >
    > > Also have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver after dumping
    outstanding
    > > print jobs.
    > >

    > > "SteveB" <sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Is the print spooler stuck in stop or pause mode? You may have to
    delete
    > >>any jobs left in it.
    > >>Are there any self-test modes that work without a cable plugged into the
    > >>printer? Key combinations on the printer?
    > >>

    > >>"ALBERT C. GOOD JR." <retirement@pa.net> wrote in message

    > > the

    > > the

    > > newly

    > > the

    > Sounds like you reached the limit for your ink sponges. A flag gets set
    > after a certain amount of usage which requires you to replace your
    > sponges (only if you really want to) and to reset the service flag ( you
    > have to). There's a button pushing sequence which many people have
    > trouble with. I suggest you just down load this free utility and to
    > clear the flag.
    > http://ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

    I look after several Epson 640s and get this quite a lot with one of them -
    all lights on and flashing.
    Is there a grinding noise when you switch it on? It might just be stuck.
    Switch it off and slide the ink cartridge carrier left a right a few times -
    leave it pushed fully to the right and switch back on again.
    This always clears mine.

    No grinding noise.
    However I have been noticing that the head carriage does not return fully to
    the parked position.
    With a little nudging it can be persuaded to return to the parked position
    and at that time there is a kind of ratcheting wound for the approximately
    one and a half inch that it take to contact the stops in its resting
    position.

    Since the carriage is pulled along by a toothed belt, I checked to be
    certain that was not slipping but it seems to be tightly gripping the
    carriage.

    The only way that I have been able to get the carriage to move completely
    from right to left and then back is if the power is interrupted (Ie; plug
    pulled, when that carriage has done so during the start up cycle. However
    even when that carriage is manually pushed to the parked position it still
    displays the blinking lights.

    "Richard J. Webb" <r.webb@sheffield.ac.uk> wrote in message
    > I look after several Epson 640s and get this quite a lot with one of
    them -
    > all lights on and flashing.
    > Is there a grinding noise when you switch it on? It might just be stuck.
    > Switch it off and slide the ink cartridge carrier left a right a few
    times -
    > leave it pushed fully to the right and switch back on again.
    > This always clears mine.

    My only caveat is: do not force the head if it seems difficult to move.
    The head has a locking tab when it is parked which if not moved can be
    broken off. If a person can figure out where it is, it can be manually
    moved down out of the way. It is usually a white tab slightly under the
    head.

    Art

    Richard J. Webb wrote:

    > I look after several Epson 640s and get this quite a lot with one of them -
    > all lights on and flashing.
    > Is there a grinding noise when you switch it on? It might just be stuck.
    > Switch it off and slide the ink cartridge carrier left a right a few times -
    > leave it pushed fully to the right and switch back on again.
    > This always clears mine.

    Hi ALbert,

    As I mentioned to you in private email, your carriage guide bar (the
    chrome one the carriage rides along) may require cleaning and
    relubrication. All Epson printers are very sensitive about free
    movement of the carriage to avoid mis-stepping with the stepper motor
    and the toothed belt. In actual fact, the toothed belt is designed to
    allow a clutched (spring loaded) gear on one side to slip if the stepper
    motor gets out of sequence. That is the grinding sound some people
    occasionally here, as the printer resets the stepper motor and belt
    positions.

    Art

    ALBERT C. GOOD JR. wrote:

    > No grinding noise.
    > However I have been noticing that the head carriage does not return fully to
    > the parked position.
    > With a little nudging it can be persuaded to return to the parked position
    > and at that time there is a kind of ratcheting wound for the approximately
    > one and a half inch that it take to contact the stops in its resting
    > position.
    >
    > Since the carriage is pulled along by a toothed belt, I checked to be
    > certain that was not slipping but it seems to be tightly gripping the
    > carriage.
    >
    > The only way that I have been able to get the carriage to move completely
    > from right to left and then back is if the power is interrupted (Ie; plug
    > pulled, when that carriage has done so during the start up cycle. However
    > even when that carriage is manually pushed to the parked position it still
    > displays the blinking lights.
    >
    > "Richard J. Webb" <r.webb@sheffield.ac.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >>I look after several Epson 640s and get this quite a lot with one of
    >
    > them -
    >
    >>all lights on and flashing.
    >>Is there a grinding noise when you switch it on? It might just be stuck.
    >>Switch it off and slide the ink cartridge carrier left a right a few
    >
    > times -
    >
    >>leave it pushed fully to the right and switch back on again.
    >>This always clears mine.

    Hi Art

    I checked the guide that the head follows and found that it has a film of
    light lubricate on it but it seemed otherwise clean.

    The oil has a Grey substance mixed in with it.

    The head does have a slight tendency to stick as the head is moved manually
    form right to left and back again
    after the machine has started it start up routine and the plug has been
    pulled while the head is in the middle of its travel.

    The is a "L" shaped white tab that protrudes from the lower track that the
    head assembly rides on. This tab seems to be undamaged. But with plug
    pulled and the head in the middle of its travel, it does not depress when
    light finger pressure is applied. It also seems to be attached one way or
    another to the tray that holds the pad.

    Also this tab is located to the left of the heads parked position and that
    makes me wonder if it is the same tab that you talked about in your email.

    Also I have questions about the "pad". It is hard almost as hard as a
    abrasive scrubber. As I remember the place where the pad is located had a
    soft foam surface about 3 months ago when the printer was streaking and
    installing full cartridges didn't seem to help. At that time I had wiped
    the surface of this part with a wet foam tipped swab. That seemed to cure
    the streaking problem.

    If I where to replace this part where would I get the replacement part?

    Thanks
    Al.

    "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
    > Hi ALbert,
    >
    > As I mentioned to you in private email, your carriage guide bar (the
    > chrome one the carriage rides along) may require cleaning and
    > relubrication. All Epson printers are very sensitive about free
    > movement of the carriage to avoid mis-stepping with the stepper motor
    > and the toothed belt. In actual fact, the toothed belt is designed to
    > allow a clutched (spring loaded) gear on one side to slip if the stepper
    > motor gets out of sequence. That is the grinding sound some people
    > occasionally here, as the printer resets the stepper motor and belt
    > positions.
    >
    > Art
    >
    > ALBERT C. GOOD JR. wrote:
    >
    > > No grinding noise.
    > > However I have been noticing that the head carriage does not return
    fully to
    > > the parked position.
    > > With a little nudging it can be persuaded to return to the parked
    position
    > > and at that time there is a kind of ratcheting wound for the
    approximately
    > > one and a half inch that it take to contact the stops in its resting
    > > position.
    > >
    > > Since the carriage is pulled along by a toothed belt, I checked to be
    > > certain that was not slipping but it seems to be tightly gripping the
    > > carriage.
    > >
    > > The only way that I have been able to get the carriage to move
    completely
    > > from right to left and then back is if the power is interrupted (Ie;
    plug
    > > pulled, when that carriage has done so during the start up cycle.
    However
    > > even when that carriage is manually pushed to the parked position it
    still
    > > displays the blinking lights.
    > >
    > > "Richard J. Webb" <r.webb@sheffield.ac.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I look after several Epson 640s and get this quite a lot with one of
    > >
    > > them -
    > >
    > >>all lights on and flashing.
    > >>Is there a grinding noise when you switch it on? It might just be stuck.
    > >>Switch it off and slide the ink cartridge carrier left a right a few
    > >
    > > times -
    > >
    > >>leave it pushed fully to the right and switch back on again.
    > >>This always clears mine.

    Hi Albert,

    I would still clean that bar and replace the lubricant.

    That grey substance is actually worn metal from the bearings. If the
    head carriage sticks even slightly it can cause this flashing light problem.

    Did you attempt the EPROM resetting procedure I posted? Did it not help?

    I am trying to recall now if the head lock tab moves forward or backward
    relative to the printer front and back. The tab needs to be lowered
    below the surface of the sheet metal to fully release the head carriage.

    Yes, it is connected to the wiping pad.

    The cleaning station "sponge" is indeed stiff and abrasive. That's
    quite normal. It is mainly there to hold some moisture. It very porous
    in most cases, unless it gets blocked with old ink.

    On very rare occasion the oil pad that normally feeds the lubrication to
    the carriage bearings becomes lodged between the carriage and the chrome
    plated carriage guide (the rod the carriage rides on). This oil
    pad is sort of centered in the carriage at the top where it would
    contact that rod I just mentioned. It is sometime accessible with the
    cartridges removed.

    Anyway, typically the two causes of blinking lights on the 640 are need
    to reset the protection numbers (indication the waste ink pads are
    "full") or the carriage is not moving correctly. Other than that, I'm
    stumped.

    Art

    ALBERT C. GOOD JR. wrote:

> [...]
    >>>With a little nudging it can be persuaded to return to the parked
    >
    > position
    >
    >>>and at that time there is a kind of ratcheting wound for the
    >
    > approximately
    >
    >>>one and a half inch that it take to contact the stops in its resting
    >>>position.
    >>>
    >>>Since the carriage is pulled along by a toothed belt, I checked to be
    >>>certain that was not slipping but it seems to be tightly gripping the
    >>>carriage.
    >>>
    >>>The only way that I have been able to get the carriage to move
    >
    > completely
    >
    >>>from right to left and then back is if the power is interrupted (Ie;
    >
    > plug
    >
    >>>pulled, when that carriage has done so during the start up cycle.
    >
    > However
    >
    >>>even when that carriage is manually pushed to the parked position it

    Hi Art
    As soon as I can get my hands on some sewing machine I will try the cleaning
    and get back to you.

    Thanks Albert

> [...]
    cure
    > > the streaking problem.
    > >
    > > If I where to replace this part where would I get the replacement part?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Al.
    > >

    > > "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Hi ALbert,
    > >>
    > >>As I mentioned to you in private email, your carriage guide bar (the
    > >>chrome one the carriage rides along) may require cleaning and
    > >>relubrication. All Epson printers are very sensitive about free
    > >>movement of the carriage to avoid mis-stepping with the stepper motor
    > >>and the toothed belt. In actual fact, the toothed belt is designed to
    > >>allow a clutched (spring loaded) gear on one side to slip if the stepper
    > >>motor gets out of sequence. That is the grinding sound some people
    > >>occasionally here, as the printer resets the stepper motor and belt

    Art

    I tried your advice.

    Cleaned the guide bar with alcohol soaked surgical gauze pad.
    After it dried I applied Singer sewing machine oil directly to the point
    where the guide bar enters the bearing. Then slid the head back and forth
    and applied a few more drops to the guide-bar itself.

    After turning it on the head seemed to park better and further to the right
    than usual. However the blinking lights where still blinking.

    Next I ran the SSServ program and attempted to reset the EPROMS and that
    seemed to go ok except when I attempted to read the condition of the EPROMS.
    at this point I got a error message.

    But...you probably guessed it the blinking lights are still blinking.

    Attempts at printing met with the same lack of success that I a error
    message saying that it was not possible to feed the printer at LPT1.

    Next I will attempt to use the manual reset procedure against the
    possibility that the EPROM resetting program is a bust.

    If after that it fails to behave, I will leave it on and use it for a hi
    tech Christmas Tree.

    Yours
    Albert

> [...]
    > > > another to the tray that holds the pad.
    > > >
    > > > Also this tab is located to the left of the heads parked position and
    > that
    > > > makes me wonder if it is the same tab that you talked about in your
    > email.
    > > >
    > > > Also I have questions about the "pad". It is hard almost as hard as a
    > > > abrasive scrubber. As I remember the place where the pad is located
    had
    > > > soft foam surface about 3 months ago when the printer was streaking
    and
    > > > installing full cartridges didn't seem to help. At that time I had
    > wiped
    > > > the surface of this part with a wet foam tipped swab. That seemed to
    > cure
    > > > the streaking problem.
    > > >
    > > > If I where to replace this part where would I get the replacement

    Good luck and keep me informed.

    I'm assuming the printer does its Christmas Tree lighting ceremony even
    when it is not connected to the computer, is that correct? If so, I
    don't think the LPT1 condition is indicative of anything. If you cannot
    get the printer to print a test page with the printer disconnected form
    the computer, the problem is within the printer itself.

    Art

    ALBERT C. GOOD JR. wrote:

> [...]
    >>>
    >>>Yes, it is connected to the wiping pad.
    >>>
    >>>The cleaning station "sponge" is indeed stiff and abrasive. That's
    >>>quite normal. It is mainly there to hold some moisture. It very porous
    >>>in most cases, unless it gets blocked with old ink.
    >>>
    >>>On very rare occasion the oil pad that normally feeds the lubrication to
    >>>the carriage bearings becomes lodged between the carriage and the chrome
    >>>plated carriage guide (the rod the carriage rides on). This oil
    >>>pad is sort of centered in the carriage at the top where it would
    >>>contact that rod I just mentioned. It is sometime accessible with the
    >>>cartridges removed.
    >>>
    >>>Anyway, typically the two causes of blinking lights on the 640 are need
    >>>to reset the protection numbers (indication the waste ink pads are
    >>>"full") or the carriage is not moving correctly. Other than that, I'm

    Dear Art

    Finally got the inkaholic to work.

    First I had oiled the guide bar as you and some other had suggested. Still
    the lights blinked.

    This morning I went through reset procedure manually and on the second try
    the blinking thing recycled and after considerable head cleaning it was
    giving me good printing.

    For some reason that program that I down loaded was not working properly.
    But it had some nice features, such as a through head cleaning routine and
    the ability to clean black or other color combinations.

    Also when it did a test pattern, it would print a pattern along the upper
    border and stop.

    Calling up another test pattern would advance the paper a inch or so and
    then print the next pattern until it reached the end of the page.

    This is a feature that is bound to be a paper saver.

    I now want to thank you and all the others who helped me sort through this
    problem. It certainly ws a educational experience, and will equip me to fix
    other problems with the drunk.

    Yours
    Albert

    > Good luck and keep me informed.
    >
    > I'm assuming the printer does its Christmas Tree lighting ceremony even
    > when it is not connected to the computer, is that correct? If so, I
    > don't think the LPT1 condition is indicative of anything. If you cannot
    > get the printer to print a test page with the printer disconnected form
    > the computer, the problem is within the printer itself.
    >
    > Art
    >
    > ALBERT C. GOOD JR. wrote:
    >
    > > Art
    > >
    > > I tried your advice.
    > >
    > > Cleaned the guide bar with alcohol soaked surgical gauze pad.
    > > After it dried I applied Singer sewing machine oil directly to the point
    > > where the guide bar enters the bearing. Then slid the head back and
    forth
    > > and applied a few more drops to the guide-bar itself.
    > >
    > > After turning it on the head seemed to park better and further to the
    right
    > > than usual. However the blinking lights where still blinking.
    > >
    > > Next I ran the SSServ program and attempted to reset the EPROMS and that
    > > seemed to go ok except when I attempted to read the condition of the
    EPROMS.
    > > at this point I got a error message.
    > >
    > > But...you probably guessed it the blinking lights are still blinking.
    > >
    > > Attempts at printing met with the same lack of success that I a error
    > > message saying that it was not possible to feed the printer at LPT1.
    > >
    > > Next I will attempt to use the manual reset procedure against the
    > > possibility that the EPROM resetting program is a bust.
    > >
    > > If after that it fails to behave, I will leave it on and use it for a hi
    > > tech Christmas Tree.
    > >
    > > Yours
    > > Albert
    > >

    > > "ALBERT C. GOOD JR." <retirement@pa.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Hi Art
    > >>As soon as I can get my hands on some sewing machine I will try the
    > >
    > > cleaning
    > >
    > >>and get back to you.
    > >>
    > >>Thanks Albert
    > >>
    > >>"Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message

    > >>problem.

    > > help?

    > >>of

    > >>manually

    > > been

    > >>the

    > > plug

    > >>when

    > > way
    > >
    > >>or

    > >>that

    > >>email.

    > > had

    > > and

    > >>wiped

    > >>cure

    > > part?

    > > stepper

    > >>stuck.

    I suspect you had two problems that coincided.

    The waste pad number was reached, and the carriage was not properly
    lubricated, and so one confounded the other.
    However, it is just possible that the manual reset didn't work several
    times. Sometimes the button are a bit finicky and if you don't hold
    them with enough pressure, they read as an intermitted press, which then
    is either ignored, or send the wrong command.

    I don't much like or trust the Russian program. It seems to not work as
    often as it works, and since the coding was done by someone hacking
    around I'm not sure it can be trusted 100% to function as stated. I
    know of a few cases where people selected the wrong model and it did
    something to the firmware or internal software which was not reversible
    at a user level, at least.

    But the good thing is you are up and running, and since Christmas is
    over, you probably don't need the blinking lights anymore for decoration.

    Art

Printers Stylus Epson Peripherals