square 4 pin connector on motherboard

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi there, on the Asus A8N32-sli delux, i see a square 4 pin connector.
comming out of the power supply, i have the big 24pin connector for the power. but i also have two other black wires with square 4 pin connectors on them and a small brown connector that looks like that for the FDD. what is this 4 pin connector? do i need to plug one of those into the motherboard?

RicVen

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
My power supply came with connectors for: one four pin for the mobo, two four pin for the FDDs and two six pin for the video cards.

The one four pin connector plugs into the mobo just behind the rear panel connectors as shown on page 2-32 of the User Guide.

You need to check with your PS supplier but I would say the other two are for two FDDs first or two CDDs second.

Packed with your mobo, did you get a part labeled "Asus P/N:08G 160001220"? It looks like a brown and copper colored strap about 3" long, 1/2" wide with a black plug on each end. I cannot figure out where it goes?

Thanks

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
i know what the FDD and HDD/cdrom power connectors are, i'm not talking about those. those are rectangular 4pin. i'm talking about a square 4 pin connector. it probably goes where you described. as for the part you are talking about, it sounds like you are describing the SLI bridge. that is used when you have two video cards. you connect the two video cards with that bridge. so let me ask you something. you need to plug in the 24pin power connector AND the 4 pin connect next to the rear panel connectors? let me know.

My power supply came with connectors for: one four pin for the mobo, two four pin for the FDDs and two six pin for the video cards.

The one four pin connector plugs into the mobo just behind the rear panel connectors as shown on page 2-32 of the User Guide.

You need to check with your PS supplier but I would say the other two are for two FDDs first or two CDDs second.

Packed with your mobo, did you get a part labeled "Asus P/N:08G 160001220"? It looks like a brown and copper colored strap about 3" long, 1/2" wide with a black plug on each end. I cannot figure out where it goes?

Thanks

Thanks

I believe that strap is the SLI connector that ties the two vid cards together when you implement SLI.

One of those 4 pin cables plugs into the motherboard to supply the CPU with power. It is usually labeled. Check your PSU manual to confirm.

The EZ-Plug should do the same thing as the 4 pin CPU power socket on the motherboard. It is only needed if you have an older power supply that doesn't have the square 4 pin power connector, in which case you can plug a standard 4 pin molex (like the ones used for hard drives) into it to supply the CPU power. At least that's what it's for on my old Asus P4S333 board.

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
The EZ-Plug should only be fitted if you are using SLi with video cards that do not have their own power connectors (or SLi with a 20-pin ATX connector). It is to supply additional power to the video cards.

If the video cards have their own power supply, then you should not fit the EZ-Plug.

This is explained on pages 2-1 and 2-29 of the manual.

Regarding the square 4-pin connector, my psu also had 2 connectors that could have fitted that slot. In the end, I just had to check the manual for my psu to find out which to use.

Page 2-29 if the motherboard manual show you what each of the 4 pins should be (2 x 12V and 2 x GND). This should help when checking the psu manual.

Hope this helps

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
i have the Enermax Liberty 620W PSU with the Asus A8N32-sli deluxe mobo and X2 3800+ cpu. by looking at my manual for the mobo and psu, i can't figure it out. i'm not very knowledgeable with power. does anyone know? my psu has two square 4pin connectors and both look the same. i'm not sure if i need just one of those or both.

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Your psu manual states to use the 4-pin connector with '+12V' marking (chapter C, section C2). It's the 12V AUX connector.

hth

Edit: nice-looking psu btw :)

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
oh thanks. also if you look at C3, it talks about that fan connector. do you know which fan header on the A8N32sli deluxe i should plug that into?

Your psu manual states to use the 4-pin connector with '+12V' marking (chapter C, section C2). It's the 12V AUX connector.

hth

Edit: nice-looking psu btw :)

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
i think your book is different than mine cause page 2-27 in my book talks about the audio and usb connectors. what section are you looking at?

That should go into the PWR_FAN connector as shown on page 2-27 of the mobo manual.

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
i think your book is different than mine cause page 2-27 in my book talks about the audio and usb connectors. what section are you looking at?

yeah - could be different. I got usb and audio connectors on page 2-24.

It's section 11 that details CPU, Chassis,... and Power Fan connectors (unless the sections are different too).

The connector is next to the floppy drive connector on the mobo. It should be marked PWR_FAN.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
ya i read that section, but it doesn't say to use the PWR_FAN. and it also says that only the CPU_FAN and CHA_FAN1 connectors support the Asus Q-fan 2 feature. So wouldn't it be one of those fan headers?

yeah - could be different. I got usb and audio connectors on page 2-24.

It's section 11 that details CPU, Chassis,... and Power Fan connectors (unless the sections are different too).

The connector is next to the floppy drive connector on the mobo. It should be marked PWR_FAN.

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
You should notice that the fan connector from your psu has only 2 wires attached. This is because it requires no power. When attached to the motherboard, it allows the onboard sensor to monitor the speed of the fan.

The power for the fan comes directly from the power supply itself.

Regarding the Q-fan feature, the fan speed on the psu should be controlled by the psu, and not the motherboard. Therefore, it is correct that the PWR_FAN connection does not support the Q-Fan feature.

Some psu's don't have this connector (mine for example), and it's not really that important as it only monitors the fan speed. That's probably why it's not mentioned specifically in the motherboard manual.