HP OfficeJet Cleaning Help

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
December 18, 2004 7:56:47 PM

I have a HP OfficeJet Pro 1170Cse printer, and I am getting white
stripes on areas that should be all black. Should I be cleaning
something?

Thanks.

Pedro

--
To contact me directly by email, please remove the words "NO" and
"SPAM" from the reply address above.

More about : officejet cleaning

Anonymous
a b α HP
December 18, 2004 9:03:18 PM

"Pedro" <NOpedro165SPAM@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have a HP OfficeJet Pro 1170Cse printer, and I am getting white
> stripes on areas that should be all black. Should I be cleaning
> something?

Start by printing a self test as shown at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=e....
If the white stripes repeat at regular intervals try cleaning the cartridge
contacts as shown at:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume....
If there are random missing areas in the nozzle pattern try running a cleaning
cycle as shown at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us...

If a large random of the center of the nozzle swath is missing you may have an
issue with the service station, especially if a new cartridge works well for a
short period of time and then starts to have issues. The following describes
how to clean the service station:

It could be that the spittoon has filled up, causing ink to clog the bottom of
the black cartridge. You do not have to remove the lid, it is accessed
through the side panel. Here are some instructions to remove and clean the
spittoon:

0. Lay out some newspaper to keep ink off your desktop.

1. Power on printer and open the access door for the cartridges. Once the
cartridges move to the left remove the power.

2. Remove the left side panel (looking from the back) by removing
the single screw in the back.

3. Remove the single screw in the center top part of the service station
(the large black box). Do not remove or adjust the other screw which
is attached to the gear wheel thingy.

4. Gently pull the service station free from the printer (it slides out).
As you pull the service station out, notice the spittoon area. This is
the last bit that comes out of the printer, and it is about 1" x .5" and
a few inches deep. This area is probably the cause of your problem,
as after a few years it can become filled with ink sludge which then
wipes on the underside of the black cartridge.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...
has instructions for cleaning this area on a different printer. The
pictures here may be useful in determining what part to clean.

5. Use a Popsicle stick or some other item to scoop the ink sludge out of
this area. Warning - this is a messy procedure, and you really do not
want to drop the sludge on your clothes or carpet!

6. Now look at the scrapers and wipers. The wipers are the rubber flaps
attached to the rotating part. The scrapers are the fixed plastic parts
that the wipers rub against. Carefully clean these with a damp cloth or
Q-tip. It is not necessary to get these really clean, but remove any
major build-ups of ink.

7. You may also clean the cap stations which are small rectangular rubber
caps mounted to the rotating part. Once again, it is not necessary to go
overboard with the cleaning here, but remove the major buildup if it
exists.

8. You do not need to clean out the bottom of the main area (under the
rotating part). It will have a sponge with some ink, but it is well out
of the way.

9. While holding the service station with the mounting screw facing you
and the spittoon end away from you, turn the rotating part fully clockwise
until it comes to a stop. At this point there should be a plastic part
protruding straight up.

10. Carefully replace the service station in the printer, being careful
not to pinch or disturb the wires that attach to the fan.

11. Replace the screw that holds in the service station, and tighten it
in place.

12. Replace the side panel. (This took some fiddling, it snaps into
place and then needs to be screwed in in the back.

13. Plug the unit in and close the cartridge access door. If you forgot
to do step 9 there will be a short grinding noise as the service station
repositions itself. This will not damage the printer, but it does sound
bad.

14. Run a cleaning cycle by pressing "menu" three times, then press
"select/resume".

This should correct your problems. The good news is this probably will
not be required again for 3-5 more years :-).

Regards,
December 19, 2004 10:51:22 PM

Bob:

Many thanks for your help.