500GB hard drive question

TheWickedLester

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I am looking for a new hard drive to move my music files to. I want to move up to a 500GB drive, would like input from you all as to what 500GB drives are best. This will not be a boot drive it will only hold music.

sturm

Splendid
WD, Seagate, and maxtor are the only three listed on newegg.
Personnaly I would buy 2 250gig drives and then jbod them or leave them seperate. Cheaper also. Newegg has them from 85 to 135 bucks where as the 500 gig drives are going to run you ike 300 plus.

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
500gb drives are for those who need to maximum storage/physical space

if you are fine with more hard drives in your case, as most users should be, you'd be doing yourself a favor getting more 250gb drives - at the cost of a 500gb drive, you're $XX away from 4x250 and possibly running raid 0+1 [although, in all seriousness, thats kinda retarded]

TheWickedLester

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Not sure about the term "jbod". I was considering setting up a raid setup, but I have never done a raid myself. I am not sure how I would set up raid with my music files. Could I set up say, 3hard drives as a raid set up with 1 drive letter but then still have a Cdrive and D drive and so on.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
JBOD - just a bunch of disks.
Basically say you have drive 1 and drive 2, JBOD would combine them so it looks like a single drive to the OS. Its used in cases like yours. If one drive fails, you can pull off data from the other drive. (In RAID 0, this isn't possible).

Yes you can have a 3 drive RAID system, and have other drives be different letters, etc. E.g. You can have 1 system drive (C: ), and then a 3 HDD RAID 0 (D: ).
If you have 3 HDD's to spare, you might want to look at RAID 5, which is good for access and security, but you'll lose some of the space to parity.

*edited to make dumb post not have :)'s instead of : )'s... * :p

TheWickedLester

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Does anyone know where a good tut is so I can read up on setting up JBOD using a few 250gig drives and also have other disks set up seperate.I would like to read up on this method.
And yes. I need more storage for my music. I currently havejust at 300 gigs and thats why I was considering a 500 gig.