Hi all,

Does anyone know how long it takes to become an airline-pilot, which allows
to fly Boeing 757 an so on..??

I´ve heard it might not be a problem to become a pilot, even though you have
very small degree of colorblindness (red/green)...is that true, or are you
ruled out at once??

Thanks

Erik

"Erik Selde" <erik.selde@mail.dk> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how long it takes to become an airline-pilot, which
allows
> to fly Boeing 757 an so on..??

You can do a course from nothing to CPL-ATPL rating in roughly a year in the
UK (under JAA rules) for about £60k. That doesn't get you any large
aircraft ratings though. You need to go on a conversion course for each
specific model, and that's expensive. You may get sponsored by a company
which pays for the extra training in lieu of a binding agreement ensuring
you'll stay long enough for them to get their money back.

> I´ve heard it might not be a problem to become a pilot, even though you
have
> very small degree of colorblindness (red/green)...is that true, or are you
> ruled out at once??

I think any form of colour blindness rules you out for a CPL, but I may be
wrong. Are you in Denmark? Don't know if they're part of the JAA group of
countries, but if they are then the rules should be the same. The UK CAA
has a good website, if you go to that and look under the medical section.
The Lasors publication also has the requirements for the different types of
licences and is a good place to start for prospective pilots. You can
search for that on the CAA website.

Si

> You can do a course from nothing to CPL-ATPL rating in roughly a year in
> the
> UK (under JAA rules) for about £60k. That doesn't get you any large
> aircraft ratings though.

<snip>

Astraeus do a zero to ATPL with 737 type rating and 100hrs line training for
about £52k.

Their website is http://www.flyastraeus.com/recruitment/index.asp?id=61 but
I can't find any specific details - last I saw it was an advert in the back
of Pilot magazine (current issue).

D.