Using VOR

I'm really new to MSFS (I got 2002 cos i've a modest PC), it's
wonderful and I'm having a great time getting used to the 172 but call
me a simpleton, but I can't get my head around using VOR at all. GPS,
no problem, very straightforward but I'd like to try the more "hands
on" approach with VOR.
Ok, I decide which VOR I want to head towards, enter the frequency in
my Nav radios (both of them, or one of them, I'm not sure) and then
what??? How does the signal from the VOR relate to anything on the
displays at all? I've read the manuals, I've looked at that navigation
for MSFS guide online, and its all a bit over my thick head... can
anyone please explain it simply.
Thanks,
Paul

Paul wrote:

> ... can anyone please explain it simply.

Try this site for a helpful explanation of VOR navigation (and other
navigation, except GPS). It has helped many in your shoes. :)

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/vor-nav.htm

--
Peter
(yep, finally changed the moniker)

revporl@holypenguin.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
> I'm really new to MSFS (I got 2002 cos i've a modest PC), it's
> wonderful and I'm having a great time getting used to the 172 but call
> me a simpleton, but I can't get my head around using VOR at all. GPS,
> no problem, very straightforward but I'd like to try the more "hands
> on" approach with VOR.
> Ok, I decide which VOR I want to head towards, enter the frequency in
> my Nav radios (both of them, or one of them, I'm not sure) and then
> what??? How does the signal from the VOR relate to anything on the
> displays at all? I've read the manuals, I've looked at that navigation
> for MSFS guide online, and its all a bit over my thick head... can
> anyone please explain it simply.
> Thanks,
> Paul

Try this java based trainer:
http://www.visi.com/~mim/nav/

--
Mike Flyin'8
PP-ASEL

I Guys, the best thing you should do it's follow the fs lesson,VOR,
ILS, GPS all type of navigation are explained very well.