Canon i850 abruptly stops printing black; colors ok. Any i..

I'm reproducing the info I sent to Canon tech help and am hoping for a
more helpful response here. ;-)

Model: i850
OS: Windows XP SP1
The printer abruptly stopped printing black in in the middle of a page
-- the page continued to feed normally. On all-black text pages the
paper feeds normally but no text (not one spot of black ink) is
produced
on the page. All colors work normally.
I did a black clean and a black deep clean. No effect.
I removed the black cartridge and touched absorbant paper to the
delivery port -- good ink flow.
I removed all cartridges and the print head. I touched a piece of wet
absorbant paper to the bottom of the print head. A *LOT* of black ink
came out along with some colored ink. Reinserted head and tanks.
Color fine; no black.
Unplugged and replugged printer. Rebooted computer. Tried different
print sources (Wordperfect, Adobe Acrobat). No black.
Any suggestions?

electron
8 answers Last reply
More about canon i850 abruptly stops printing black colors

    electron wrote:
    > I'm reproducing the info I sent to Canon tech help and am hoping for a
    > more helpful response here. ;-)
    >
    > Model: i850
    > OS: Windows XP SP1
    > The printer abruptly stopped printing black in in the middle of a page
    > -- the page continued to feed normally. On all-black text pages the
    > paper feeds normally but no text (not one spot of black ink) is
    > produced
    > on the page. All colors work normally.
    > I did a black clean and a black deep clean. No effect.
    > I removed the black cartridge and touched absorbant paper to the
    > delivery port -- good ink flow.
    > I removed all cartridges and the print head. I touched a piece of wet
    > absorbant paper to the bottom of the print head. A *LOT* of black ink
    > came out along with some colored ink. Reinserted head and tanks.
    > Color fine; no black.
    > Unplugged and replugged printer. Rebooted computer. Tried different
    > print sources (Wordperfect, Adobe Acrobat). No black.
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > electron

    Sounds like the print head is shot to me.
    on salads.

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 02:15:49 -0000, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
    <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:

    >electron wrote:
    >> I'm reproducing the info I sent to Canon tech help and am hoping for a
    >> more helpful response here. ;-)
    >>
    >> Model: i850
    >> OS: Windows XP SP1
    >> The printer abruptly stopped printing black in in the middle of a page
    >> -- the page continued to feed normally. On all-black text pages the
    >> paper feeds normally but no text (not one spot of black ink) is
    >> produced
    >> on the page. All colors work normally.
    >> I did a black clean and a black deep clean. No effect.
    >> I removed the black cartridge and touched absorbant paper to the
    >> delivery port -- good ink flow.
    >> I removed all cartridges and the print head. I touched a piece of wet
    >> absorbant paper to the bottom of the print head. A *LOT* of black ink
    >> came out along with some colored ink. Reinserted head and tanks.
    >> Color fine; no black.
    >> Unplugged and replugged printer. Rebooted computer. Tried different
    >> print sources (Wordperfect, Adobe Acrobat). No black.
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> electron
    >
    >Sounds like the print head is shot to me.

    Thanks. That was my top guess, but before I bite the bullet I guess
    I'll reload the drivers. I really can't think of anything else. The
    contacts to the print head seem to be in good shape.

    electron

    Don't keep printing on a possibly clogged head, it'll burn out. A thorough
    cleaning in hot water/ammonia might get it cleared, if it is clogged.
    Cleaning kits like the one sold at www.inkjetsaver.com can clear most any
    clog. If it's not clogged, then it's really dead.

    electron wrote:

    >Model: i850
    >OS: Windows XP SP1
    >The printer abruptly stopped printing black in in the middle of a page
    >-- the page continued to feed normally. On all-black text pages the
    >paper feeds normally but no text (not one spot of black ink) is
    >produced on the page. All colors work normally.

    That sounds exactly like my experience when the printhead died on my
    i850 a few months ago. First a few nozzles stopped working, then the
    whole printhead suddenly stopped working mid-page. It was only 16 months
    old and printed about 4000 pages. Not very good for a printhead that is
    supposed to last the life of the printer.

    Needless to say, I was rather disappointed to learn that Canon changed
    their tune about printhead life when I had a failure, and they were not
    willing to do anything to keep me as a customer.

    Anyway, after finding out that the printhead costs 90% of a new printer,
    I tossed the Canon in the trash, and I went back to HP printers. No
    issues with printheads since they're integrated into the cartridges, and
    print quality that easily equals the competition's prints.

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:37:10 -0700, "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:

    >Don't keep printing on a possibly clogged head, it'll burn out. A thorough
    >cleaning in hot water/ammonia might get it cleared, if it is clogged.
    >Cleaning kits like the one sold at www.inkjetsaver.com can clear most any
    >clog. If it's not clogged, then it's really dead.

    Thanks. The head has clogged previously. In those cases one or more
    of the nozzles would stop working, but not all of them completely (and
    simultaneously). I suppose there is a part of the head where there is
    one channel the ink flows through before it gets to the nozzles and a
    plug there could bring everything to a grinding halt. But it is hard
    to believe that something that large could get past the head input
    port screen. And a piece of wet paper touched to the nozzles caused a
    large dump of black ink. This would seem inconsistent with a clog.
    But, before I cough up the $ for a new head I suppose flushing the
    head would be worthwhile.

    >"electron" <electron@theorbital.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 02:15:49 -0000, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
    >> <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:

    >> >Sounds like the print head is shot to me.
    >>
    >> Thanks. That was my top guess, but before I bite the bullet I guess
    >> I'll reload the drivers. I really can't think of anything else. The
    >> contacts to the print head seem to be in good shape.
    >>
    >> electron

    I have an extra printhead if needed and extra ink at a great price.

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 14:44:10 -0500, Bill <bill@c.a> wrote:

    >electron wrote:
    >
    >>Model: i850
    >>OS: Windows XP SP1
    >>The printer abruptly stopped printing black in in the middle of a page
    >>-- the page continued to feed normally. On all-black text pages the
    >>paper feeds normally but no text (not one spot of black ink) is
    >>produced on the page. All colors work normally.
    >
    >That sounds exactly like my experience when the printhead died on my
    >i850 a few months ago. First a few nozzles stopped working, then the
    >whole printhead suddenly stopped working mid-page. It was only 16 months
    >old and printed about 4000 pages. Not very good for a printhead that is
    >supposed to last the life of the printer.

    About the same number of months here, but I don't think I've
    approached 4000 pages. Maybe they're set to fail about 6 months after
    warrantee expiration. >:(

    >Needless to say, I was rather disappointed to learn that Canon changed
    >their tune about printhead life when I had a failure, and they were not
    >willing to do anything to keep me as a customer.
    >
    >Anyway, after finding out that the printhead costs 90% of a new printer,
    >I tossed the Canon in the trash, and I went back to HP printers. No
    >issues with printheads since they're integrated into the cartridges, and
    >print quality that easily equals the competition's prints.

    They're charging me about $50 for the printhead -- I believe the price
    has come down from what it was. I think that's about the cost of 1
    b+w and 1 color cartridge for many printers on the market. Meanwhile,
    using good bulk ink, the ink costs are quite low for Canon. So, I
    think the economics still favors Canon. And, personally, I've used HP
    printers at work and the Canon at home and I'm pleased with the output
    of both. On the other hand, if Canon knew the lifetime of the
    printhead was limited it should have been more forthright and should
    sell the heads through normal distribution channels.

    Just my 2 cents.

    electron wrote:

    >They're charging me about $50 for the printhead -- I believe the price
    >has come down from what it was.

    My prices are in CDN funds - $60 for the head, plus shipping and taxes,
    brings the delivered price to $81. A new i560 printer can be had for
    only $90.

    >b+w and 1 color cartridge for many printers on the market. Meanwhile,
    >using good bulk ink, the ink costs are quite low for Canon. So, I
    >think the economics still favors Canon.

    If refilling with bulk ink is the main concern, then Canon is the
    obvious choice because the ink tanks are easy to handle. But if the
    heads are failing that often, they have a quality issue to deal with
    first.

    I'm not a heavy printer, so my first priority is a reliable unit that
    prints when I want it.

    > And, personally, I've used HP
    >printers at work and the Canon at home and I'm pleased with the output
    >of both. On the other hand, if Canon knew the lifetime of the
    >printhead was limited it should have been more forthright and should
    >sell the heads through normal distribution channels.

    I agree. That's partly the reason I dumped Canon. Since other companies,
    and even Canon I believe, sell replacement heads for various models in
    the stores, there's no reason these heads couldn't be sold at retail as
    well.

    It's a shame really, as Canon cameras are so reliable for capturing the
    photos...

Printers Canon Peripherals Product