IDE, DMA, POI, I don't know!!!?

jaykemurd

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
So I'm trying to use my newly bult computer to record some music. I've got everything I need. Whenever I try to record I get horrible dropout throughout the track(s). I have done everything I know to do to help the computer, which should have plenty of power to do what I want! A friend mentioned something about the way a program can access your harddrive typically will have different speeds/transfer rates. I know there are different interfaces, but I don't know which ones would be best. DMA seems to be good...but how do I configure such a thing? Note: My mobo has some sort of Nvidia IDE/UDMA drivers or something, but it seems disabled? Please help me, I'm going to explode! 8O

sturm

Splendid
is this an ide drive or sata. I dont see the dma/pio mode option on my sata controllor only on the ide controllor.
if its ide then go into device manager and expand the ide controllors menu and right click the ide channel the drive is on. Under advanced options should be the ide mode selection.

jaykemurd

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Ok, so I have changed the mode now, to the highest UDMA/133. Now the harddrive is "downgrading" itself because of too many CRC errors or something. Says check the wires, and I have.

jaykemurd

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Some machines seem to have problems with the nVidia IDE drivers. Try uninstalling them and let windows use it's own m$ drivers. Then make sure it's set to use DMA when possible.

Thanks a lot, I'll try that! :wink: