Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Buying Laptop - need help w/ choice?

Last response: in CPUs
March 1, 2006 7:41:40 PM

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a laptop. I was looking to get a 64bit, dual core proc. Now I am not sure which is better, AMD or Intel for laptop chips.

Can anyone with info post something aobut it!!
also which companies should I look to buy it from

PS: Dell is offering a Intel Centrino Duo w/ 2gb RAM for 2000$ >> is that a good buy??

thanks for helpIN!! :lol: 

More about : buying laptop choice

a b D Laptop
March 1, 2006 8:16:45 PM

i would never, EVER EVER buy a dell.
never
never

always go compaq.
their customer support is amazing, and they build thier machines extremly well. I have a compaq built computeer with an athlon 2800 that kills my friend's self built amd 64 3500 machine.

intel will get you more battery life on a laptop, but as always amd processors are better, but i've never been able to test a modern amd laptop for myself, i don't know how they act...i've got an amd athlon xp 2700 laptop that works incredbily well. (from compaq)

you'll get far more bang-for-buck from compaq or even hp (same thing, but still.)
i have $1200 compaq laptops that kill other's dell xps laptops for $3000+++

if either hp or compaq doesn't present a good machine to you, go for ibm.
but use dell as LAST resort.
March 1, 2006 8:20:04 PM

If you're looking for good products, go to www.CyberPowerInc.com They have some nice desktops and laptops (I've personally tested them, hehe) and hell, they'll put a freakin' FX-60 in a laptop! But, the catch is, they have some of the shoddiest customer support, so I've been told, but who cares, they make it right the 1st time so what's there to support?

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
Related resources
March 1, 2006 8:20:55 PM

dude my unbiased opinion get yourself an intel for laptop it offers bettery batts and it can push more bits per clock cycle
March 1, 2006 8:45:00 PM

Quote:
dude my unbiased opinion get yourself an intel for laptop it offers bettery batts and it can push more bits per clock cycle

Did you read some Intel Fanboys post of battery life and wtf are you talking about with "bits per clock cycle"? You're reading too many posts piddy.

March 1, 2006 8:50:14 PM

Ok man, look, these guys have obviously missed your point. Yes Intel does make a better laptop processor however, they're not 64 bit as your looking for.

AMD turion is really the only choice out there. If your going to get one and you want a quality build, go with a sager notebook. Good machines.

And also, don't listen to anybody that says Dell laptops suck. I've used them for years and have never had any problem with them. They're rated good and they perform well. I don't particularly care for their desktops though.
March 1, 2006 8:53:57 PM

Quote:
And also, don't listen to anybody that says Dell laptops suck. I've used them for years and have never had any problem with them.

Were you perhaps under the influence of some sort of mind-imparing paraphernalia when you said this? lol jk. But seriously, the Dell Laptops I have used are okay, with the exception of a few that literally fell apart.

March 1, 2006 8:54:08 PM

alright this is where Intel pwns AMD in the arse

yes Intel is better for laptops and that is the bottom line

guess who agrees with me? Cnet (woot) ( http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7602_7-1016082-3.html?tag=... )

enjoy

ye si would go with an intel based processor

centrinos are nic ebtw my bro has one its zippy with a gig of RAM
March 1, 2006 8:57:19 PM

mike listen amd is the king of desktops but for the mobile market its intel
March 1, 2006 9:00:06 PM

What I know, is that on a 3400+ and 3800+ A64 Laptop I have used, the battery life has been >2hours 30 mins and >1 hour 30 minutes under load (such as playing a game), and that is plenty fine for me being that the AMD laptops will definately outperform Intel counterparts (in my experience) as well as being cheaper (again, IME). So I will never buy an Intel laptop, Turion 64 > Pentium M.

March 1, 2006 9:06:15 PM

look dude im using onscreen kb be back in 20 minutes
March 1, 2006 9:19:39 PM

Quote:
look dude im using onscreen kb be back in 20 minutes

Uhm....okay? btw: this isn't a lobby, it's a forum.

a c 229 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
a b å Intel
March 1, 2006 9:23:45 PM

If buying for battery life and darn good performance (3D mark 2003 = 15,063) I'd recommed the Sting 517M

https://www.widowpc.com/

If you want raw power (3D mark 2003 = 17,300 w/ FX-60), the Sting911X2

With an AMD desktop chip this design has no heat issues but battery life is gonna be about 1 hour.

17" screen w/ DHTV resolution is pretty hot....19" screen coming next month

If you have any doubts about the company, read this, paying close attention to the reseller ratings

http://www.widowpc.com/2005/06/comparison.php

Dell 3.22
Gateway 1.43
Alienware 6.21
Widow 9.33
Voodoo 8.48
March 1, 2006 9:41:24 PM

dude my kb is broke and im either using onscreen kb or my bros kb and it sucks
March 1, 2006 9:44:02 PM

Quote:

Dude, Wal-Mart sells keyboards for $9.99, and I know you got $9.99. If not, you can steal it, nobody cares there. Or you can go to GoodWill, they got keyboards there for $2.00.

March 1, 2006 9:56:35 PM

there is no walmart in my area (yay)
March 1, 2006 10:01:05 PM

Get an Inspiron 9400.
March 1, 2006 10:34:09 PM

Quote:

Please tell us when your going to take a crap DUDE! Oh excuse me but thats all you been doing in all these forums.

Obviously your a mental midget in your own mind but please get a clue whats going on DUDE. You've crapped enough on too many posts already. Either get with it or quit typing with one hand.

Cyberkin:
Hypersonic PC, PCTorque, or any Clevo (who manufactures most of all the Laptop Rigs out there) are good places to start with. WidowPC uses a Clevo too so its what you want and who can give you the deal you can live with.
March 1, 2006 10:39:05 PM

you wanna fight huh come down to queens and lets go come on i got myself a pipe what you want a bat or a crow bar got 2 so we each can use one
March 1, 2006 11:19:19 PM

Quote:
you wanna fight huh come down to queens and lets go come on i got myself a pipe what you want a bat or a crow bar got 2 so we each can use one

given that you've yet to offer anything useful in your unnecessarily bloated number of posts [read: trash all over the forums], ur not exactly the one to challenge anybody here
March 1, 2006 11:22:21 PM

what you wanna fight me come on and avatar i do help ppl on these forumz jus ti like to argue more with intel fanboys :D  (its suicide to go and fight em alone :x )
March 1, 2006 11:29:09 PM

LOL! You're just a regular badass aint ya dvd? lol. Hey, I live in Ohio so if you need some help for a Rumble, hit me up lol.

March 1, 2006 11:33:46 PM

okay dude when i go to ohio with my dad to pick up his new car in a few weeks so ill call you up and lets go pound some of these intel fanboys (yes i said im stayin out but this doesnt count im respondin)

mike pm me if one of them gives you any trouble :wink:
March 1, 2006 11:35:23 PM

Its true that Intel chips dominates the laptop market at the moment, but there are still some pretty nice AMD options out there!
First we'll start with Intel laptops. Here in Taiwan, you can pick up a Acer or Asus Intel Core Duo laptop (Intel 945PM chipset, 1 x 1GB DDR2~667, 15.4" WXVGA or 14.1", 8x DL DVD burner, 100GB~5400rpm~SATA HD, ATI 1400 or 1600 ~ 128/256MB with hyper memory expandable to 512MB, Wireless capable, Bluetooth capable, Built-in 1.3 MPixel camera, 5 in 1 card reader {SD, MMC, Duo, MS, MS Pro, xD, 10/100/1000 LAN, Core 1.66GHz or 1.86GHz) for $1570 ~ 1630 USD (I've converted into USD from Taiwan money).

For AMD, it's no dual core but with similar pricing, I'd suggest ACER Ferrari series. Similar specs. with the exception of CPU being AMD A64 ~ 3200+, I believe it uses ATI chipset but not sure which one, video card being a ATI X700, and the shell construction made carbon fiber. That costs about USD $1660.

Obviously, they are both pretty good machines, each having its own advantages and dis-advantages. Its hard to say which will be the better choice in the long run. As the dual core Intel machine is not 64bit capable, but the single core AMD machine is!!

I'll let you be the judge as you'll know what you'd be doing most with this new laptop..........I think you cant go wrong with either one.

Personally, I'd go with the Intel Core dual machines only because I already have a desktop that's 64 bit capable!!!!

Oh yeah, the Acer model is Acer Aspire 5672 WLMi, Asus is A6J (A6XT24DD). The Acer Duo Core model was not found on their website last time I looked but its being sold everywhere here in Taiwan. Maybe Acer just hasnt update it yet!!

Feel free to throw any questions at me...........
March 1, 2006 11:52:43 PM

Clevo 900K are all AMD Duel Core compatible Laptops.

That is the base model for Falcon, Voodoo, Alienware, Sager, PCWidow, Hypersonic, and the list goes on.
March 1, 2006 11:55:42 PM

lol, damn i just wanted like someone who knows about procs' to help me pick it; along with what comp company would be a good idea to go with. didnt mean to start up a thread filled with amd and intel fanfights ;) 

anyways, see my requirements are both 64bit + DUAL CORE. i know as of now that means only desktop Procs' ==> either Pentium D, or AMD X2 64. But problem with both of these, is that the laptops are big & HEAVY. i travel alot; and i mean ALOT!! So I do not want a clunky laptop on me, all the time. Now, I have used IBM's / Dell & Toshiba (got 1st gen Tablet pc ). Of them, I was happy with all of them, but Toshiba and IBM lasted the most. I still use Toshiba, and I gave my old IBM away. I am soo used to this toshiba, its a small screen (which i do not like); but its weight is awesome. I think around 3lbs.

Another portion of my problem is, I don't want to spend like an arm and leg; but definitly wouldnt mind giving away 1 of my kidney's. OK ok, in numerical terms... between 1000 - 2000 USD approx.

SO any ideas?

PS: you guys are awesome, thanks for responding soo quickly !! Cheers to all of you !!
March 1, 2006 11:58:21 PM

Here the problem with Amd and laptops. Heat. So they have less battery life. Now what I read on intel duo. They have bettery battery life and price seem to be good. Acer TravelMate TM8104WLMi-XPP NoteBook Pentium M 760 (2.0GHz) 15.4" WSXGA+ 1GB DDR2 533 100GB DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility RADEON X700 - LX.TAL06.096
March 2, 2006 12:56:21 AM

At this point in the laptop game you're screwed, light and dual core? Not today man. Get an acer like atolsammeek said, but the amd version :) 

That intel is like 1600 while the amd version is 1100! (the intel screen is supposed to be a little better)

All newegg:

Acer TravelMate TM4404WLMi AMD Turion 64 1.8GHz 15.4" 1GB 120GB Integrated DVD-Super Multi double-layer drive ATI Mobility RADEON X700 NoteBook - Retail (HD is only 4200) $1149

Acer TravelMate TM4402WLMi AMD Turion 64 ML-30(1.6GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 512MB 100GB DVD Super Multi Double Layer ATI Mobility RADEON X700 NoteBook - Retail $1099

Acer TravelMate 8100 TM8104AWLMi Intel Pentium M 760(2.0GHz) 15.4" Wide SXGA+ 1GB 100GB DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility RADEON X700 NoteBook - Retail $1579

Acer is the largest oem of laptops, or at least they were last year. They do custom systems for lots of the big companies.
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2006 1:01:39 AM

Quote:
Ok man, look, these guys have obviously missed your point. Yes Intel does make a better laptop processor however, they're not 64 bit as your looking for.

AMD turion is really the only choice out there. If your going to get one and you want a quality build, go with a sager notebook. Good machines.

And also, don't listen to anybody that says Dell laptops suck. I've used them for years and have never had any problem with them. They're rated good and they perform well. I don't particularly care for their desktops though.

Im using my Dell C610 now - years old and no issues and quite quick and efficent (P3 tualatin 1000 /256mb PC133 / ATi 16mb video etc) so ill vouch for dell aswell.
March 2, 2006 1:06:45 AM

Holy crap, I fixed more than 20 of those when I did outsourced support, hd's, lcd's, LOTS of keyboards. I'm glad yours is still running, you got lucky!! I have an insp 4000 that I got for $200, 5 years old still works, but it flexes like a piece of paper! And the 600m sucks, had one for work for a while, my 4000 was faster!
March 2, 2006 1:14:10 AM

It hasn’t been mentioned but what are you using it for???

64bit is a waste right now considering there are very few applications that even support it.

I have use a couple of notebooks IBM, DELL, ACER

Nothing wrong with dell.

If I were buying a notebook I would get the Dell mostly for the price although I never had any problems with any.

Dell Inspiron 9400
T2400 1.83Ghz The performance between then is very small
DDR2 667Mhz
7800Go again don’t know what you doing but that is about the fastest for a laptop
Get the WUXGA screen I have the lesser screen and wish I had purchased when I bought my Inspiron 9100.

This model is a bit portly but if you want horsepower weight is a side affect.
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2006 5:15:18 AM

Quote:
Holy crap, I fixed more than 20 of those when I did outsourced support, hd's, lcd's, LOTS of keyboards. I'm glad yours is still running, you got lucky!! I have an insp 4000 that I got for $200, 5 years old still works, but it flexes like a piece of paper! And the 600m sucks, had one for work for a while, my 4000 was faster!

the c610? hmmm, what were the major issues?
March 2, 2006 5:30:30 AM

Hd's, lcd's, keyboards, it's in the first sentence. The mb's and proc's never seemed to have issues though.
March 2, 2006 11:00:54 AM

Quote:
It hasn’t been mentioned but what are you using it for???

Well I am a programmer, and the place I work at; ofcourse uses 64bit servers. Since I wanted to get an environment close to what my workplace would have (in terms of oracle db etc) I figured I would move up into the 64bit world. Also, I heard something about Vista (coming out in Oct. is going to do a full support of 64).

So you guys think that I should just stick with the Intel Core Duo Centrino laptops??

Definitly want a lite machine; dont want anything heavy because of my travel.
March 2, 2006 11:54:34 AM

Right now 64 cpu's are here to stay. Whether to get duel core or not is all up to you. Single core will handle it fine, unless you are going to be multi tasking all over then get the duel core.

If you are expecting to keep up with your Oracle DB then get the machine thats going to keep up with it. The CPU that can handle that task without running full out all the time will cut down on wattage and heat.

As far as Vista, it came out last Fall, and there has been alot of pros and cons about it. One of the complaints was converting from 32 bit OS to 64 OS, it required complete reformat of HD. Which if you had a lot of Apps/Data on it you had to remove or lose. And that alot of drivers have yet to be 64 updated. Hopefully by this Fall they will all be up and running. For now keep it Linx if you are running it on Oracle DB that way when the New Vista arrives you wont be in for techno shock. Or even better just stay Linx you wont go wrong.

JM Barre hmmm...What has Barre and Gibert and Sulivan have in common?
March 2, 2006 12:28:01 PM

Now as far as 32 bit performance/mobiliy/battery life/dual core(aka multitasking) goes Intel is far better however current Intel chips cannot support 64 bit. Now think again,do you need 64 bit? Think this out. If you really do AMD is the only way to go. Anyway do NOT go for Pentium Ds or AMD 64 optimised for desktops,go with Pentium Ms or Turions .
Again i say,think this hard. If you settle with 32 bit you'll receive a currently better performing product. There still is a lot of time before 64 bit will be used in everyday programs.

I would advise you on a Core Duo. It's light, consumes little, very fast and dual core. That's the best way to go at the moment.
Turion dual core will eventually arrive but not this time around and i doubt it will be any faster.
March 2, 2006 8:40:10 PM

I believe our origonal poster said he wanted to run 64 bit Oracle if this is the case then I would have to say go with a Turion (You won't get a lite machine with a desktop proc). If you don't need AMD then go Dell, I will admit that the IBM laptops have been a bit better, but they cost way way more. Also I have read that build quality has dropped some now that Lenovo has fully taken over.
June 15, 2006 2:06:59 AM

I'll give you a cookie if you stop reviving dead threads !
August 26, 2008 1:39:49 AM

Seriously....
This is from 2006!?!?!

Why in the world did you bring it back?
August 26, 2008 1:44:55 AM

This topic has been closed by Turpit
!