HELP! - CD/DVD Drives and Floppy stopped working in Windows

Hello all,

I need your help. I'm not sure if this is a virus or a driver issue, but for the second time in 2 months, my CD, DVD RW, and floppy drive will not read discs while in Windows. I rebuilt my PC from scratch the last time this happened and all was good until last night, but I believe the fix should not be so difficult.

When a floppy disk is inserted, it reads for a bit then errors out saying the disk isn't formatted. If I click on the floppy icon with no disk inserted, I get the same error.

The two optical drives behave a little differently. If no disk is inserted, Windows explorer opens and no files are seen. If a disk is inserted, I get an error regarding invalid media.

My PC is about 3 years old and I've never had a problem before 2 months ago. I'm running a AMD Athlon 2500 on an Abit NF7-S motherboard. I'm sure this isn't a hardware issue as all drives work in DOS mode.

Has anyone heard of this before? :cry:
6 answers Last reply
More about help drives floppy stopped working windows
  1. Have you checked for any Viruses or Malware? Did you install any new progams 2 months ago? What version of Windows are you running (Guessing XP, but you never know) and when was the last time you did a clean install?
  2. I'm running XP Pro. I reformatted and reinstalled everything two months ago. I just ran a full system scan for viruses....nothing. No new programs have been installed.

Here's an interesting finding. I disconnected my floppy drive and windows is still showing a floppy in My Computer. I click on it and the same error pops up...The disk is not formatted. Do you want to format now?
  3. Have you tried removing the floppy drive from device manager and let windows redetect it? You might want to try the same with your cd/dvd drives. Sometimes that works.
  4. I had the same problem on an old system (Celeron2 - Win98) that I was still running up until last month. The drives would appear under MyComputer but would always show as "unaccessable". What happened is that my CD-ROM had crapped out and was causing everything on that bus to fail. I unplugged the faulty drive and the others started working again. Then I replaced it with another I had laying around and everything was back to normal.

Good Luck!
  5. troj planted hijackers malware can messup hardware comunication, try safemode with networking and do an online scan at like Panda or trendmicro or both
  6. Another symptom...Plugging in USB external drives results in Disk is not Formatted errors as well. I plug in a digital camera or MP3 player and that error pops up. I disconnected both optical drives and the floppy and disabled the IDE bus in BIOS. When I booted Windows back up and plugged in my digital camera, it still gave the error.

I'll try scanning for malware. I tried that two months ago with no luck but it's worth a shot.

Thanks. More ideas are welcomed.
Ask a new question

Read More

Floppy Disk CD-Rom DVD Drives Components