'Advergames' - do we really want this?

Dekkard

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Some of you may now have seen the recent TG post:
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/01/fpp_witness_next_level_of_advergames/
The story details the concept brought forward by FPP for 'Advergames' where the information they collect from you during gameplay will be used for targeted advertising (and any other manner of things).
While I fully appreciate the need for game developers to rely upon revenue from in-game advertising (Need for Speed Undergound 2 springs up as an obvious and fairly unobtrusive example) is this just a step too far?
I am always wary of spyware/malware scenarios and feel uncomfortable offering too much information online...but am I an exception to the norm?

If you have strong feelings on this issue, maybe this forum is a good place to start in showing game developers that this perhaps is not the route their customers would appreciate.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
This crap is inevitable. It's just another source of income for companies and another source of annoyance for gamers. Not only do we have to pay for games, but now we have to put up with targeted marketing and ad placement BS. Remember when one of the biggest selling points of cable TV was no commercials?? And these people wonder why people hack n crack games (and steal cable).

And no, I don't like providing personal information to any company.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
no i dont want this advertisers should stay out of games they shunned us in the 80's and now cause games are so popular they just want money from us for their crap :twisted: im so mad :evil:

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
I will never buy such a game, ever! Mass market advertising represents one of the major flaws of capitalism. Shame on them! :evil: