7800 GS Avi Playback Problem

k1llerWatt

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Hey All,

I'm hoping you can put my mind at rest - got my new 7800 today, performance is superb with one exception.
Whenever I playback avi's with Windows Media Player the picture is either black or white or totally corrupted; yet with other playback software it works fine.
Please tell me this is a simple software problem and not my new gfx card...

Thanks in advance

spookz

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Should be a software problem, if it was a hardware problem, it would affect all the video no matter what type of software ran. Try going to options -> performance -> and make sure the video acceleration in on max. If you have the restore default button function avaliable, then use it and post results.

k1llerWatt

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Thanks so much for the speedy response.
The video acceleration was on custom for some reason - changed it to max and it works great, I'm sure it looks better than before as well.

Thanks again!!!!!

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Hi k1llerWatt,

What graphics card did you have before? I was thinking of upgrading myself and was wondering if it is a worthy card. Does SM3 make any difference. I currently have a X800pro agp, from what I've read there might not be enough difference to be a worthy upgrade. Would just like your thoughts on the matter.

Datman.

k1llerWatt

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I to had an X800 Pro.
I feel the upgrade is totally worth it, the 7800 gave me another 1000 points in 3D Mark 05. However the real difference comes if you are prepared to overclock, the 7800's clock incredibly well, I managed 25% on the core and a fair whack on the memory; I now get 7000 points in 3D Mark 05.
SM3 support is not that important now, but it will be in the near future and it's nice to now that your card is future proof.
Add to this the fact that Pro's are still worth a lot second hand the upgrade makes total sense.

Hope this helps