Windows2k PPTP vpn through NAT

Last response: in Networking
January 11, 2005 1:48:02 PM

Hello NG;

I'm trying to establish a vpn connection using the default client and
server that comes with Windows 2000. I can successfully connect using
dial-up but not with my lan, so I'm fairly convinced that NAT is my problem.

I've read that there was an update on this platform to make L2TP vpn NAT
capable, but really nothing about PPTP. So did it always work or is it a
"never did never will" thing?

If it does work are there any router requirements for PPTP (ie NAT-T
which I think is required by L2TP)?

TIA
Gary

Note: I have no control over the server so I can't switch to L2TP/IPsec

More about : windows2k pptp vpn nat

January 12, 2005 12:32:03 AM

I am pretty sure that I have connected to pptp server from behind a
firewall before. I am no expert on PPTP, but I beleive it uses a
combination of the ip protocol gre and a tcp port for its communication.
What firewall is on your lan? Does it support connection tracking for pptp?

!