hellshavoc

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Ok hears the deal, Im trying to put together a gamming comp but dont want to spent like 2k 8O on a desent system so Im puting one together and I dont know alot of the technical details of computers but I have a good understanding of them. Iv been looking around the New Egg website and so far this is what I got: :?
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 1GHz HT Socket 939

Mother Board: eVGA 133-K8-NF41 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3120814A 120GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100

Ram: Rosewill 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model RW400/2048KITDP

Video Card: eVGA 256-P2-N527-AX Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

Power Supply: Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W

Case: ABS Stealth CS-05A1BL Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS SB0350 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

I would like to know fist of all if the hardwhere I have selected is all compatible and if there is any other items I need. Also any sugestions of better or more cost efective parts would be greatly apreciated. Thanks for any help you can give me

p8ntslinger676

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
First of all the 4000 is a good choice, thats what i have and it is great and overclocks like a mofo, on the subject of a motherboard, if you are going to be doing a lot of overclocking i suggest either a DFI or ABIT mobo, the AN8-SLi Fatality from ABIT is great, has OTES and a overclocking program that comes with the drivers so you can overclock without going into the bios, can also go into bios if you want but just running the program is easier, and for someone who probably hasnt overclocked much you sould get it cus it has preset overclocks that will change the votage, clock ext., ect for you just at the click of a button, get 2X 1 GIG of OCZ platinum or 2X 1 GIG of Corsair XMS cus they are the best rams out there right now and i havent even ever heard of Rosewill before, everthing else is perfect so your good to go.

a1ien

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
At a quick glance, everything looks compatible. How much are you trying to spend on your system and how much has it come out to now with those specs? Could you update this with price quotes for us? Do you plan to use it mainly for gaming or multitasking with it? Do you want it extremely silent and cool or is that a major factor in your parts? Do you plan to overclock?

As far as I know, and from what I have read in past articles, single core is still the way to go if you are strictly using your system for gaming. The choice for the 4000+ over the FX series is probably a better choice if you're going for budget, since one of the only major advantages that the Athlon FX series has over the Athlon 64 series is an unlocked multiplier, and that should mainly play a role if you plan to do some serious overclocking.

I personally have an eVGA video card and I have had no problems with it what so ever, plus they are fairly cheap compared to other manufacturers. I personally haven't heard much about their motherboards though.

I don't know much about Rosewill memory, but it's good that you're going with 2GB in 2 x 1GB sticks since you are going with AMD and 2GB at 4 x 512mb wouldn't be as beneficial. I personally am a fan of OCZ memory.

I would personally go for a Serial ATA Hard Drive as they seem just easier to connect, and they mostly go for about the same price give or take a dollar.

These are strictly my observations and opinions, feel free to add to or correct anything I have said. :)

p8ntslinger676

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
ALIEN i like you cus you know what your doing and your not a retard like most of these fools, plus youve go the fight idea, DDR500 balls so does OCZ and my A 64 4000+.

doomturkey

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Alright, you seem to have the general idea of what to build, but this system needs some tweaking. Your processor is a good choice, however if you do not plan on going dual graphics i would suggest saving some money and ditching the SLI mobo. And if do plan on dual graphics...well i would suggest not getting 2 7800 GTX because 1 X1900 (or 7900 for teh future) will pawn 2 7800 for less money. And definately go for a sata drive, they cost about the same as ide but perform better. Then there's the RAM. I would strongly advise to not get Rosewill RAM (or rosewill anything, for that matter), because they make real cheap low quality stuff. I would suggest corsair value RAM if you're not into getting slightly more expensive 2gb kits. Or for better performance, bet 2gb corsair xms (2-3-3-6) for about $220. Or for $220 you can get 2gb DDR500, if your into OCing. Otherwise everything looks fine 8) . Hope you enjoy this setup, I'm sure its going to be real fast.

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Ever considered the possibility of dual core processor? I know most games don't utitlize both cores yet, but eventually they will. Depending on all what you do and what you want your computer to do, I'd consider an X2 for ya rig too.

4000 ~ $334.00
x2 3800 ~$295.00 or
x2 4200 ~$357.00

moparman390

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Maxiius is right, go for an X2. You can get the 3800+ or the 4200+ in the same price neighborhood as the 4000+. The straight up single application processing will be about the same but when you run more then one application at the same time or (in the future) a multithreaded game you will be very happy you have a dual core processor.