What is SysTray?

G

What is SysTray? (System Tray?) To optimize performance I should delete all things from startup, but leave SysTray, why?

FatBurger

Illustrious
System tray is on the far right side of the taskbar. It's where the clock, volume control, etc live.

You can kill it if you want, but you won't see the clock, be able to get to those icons, etc. It won't hurt anything, and it'll all be back after a restart.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

Killerkris

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
in windows 98 you cant stp systray - it will crash your system
In windows ME you can however shut it down very easily

Killerkris

A Life, where can i download one of those from?

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
how do you kill those things on the task bar? I mean make them not loading when the system started...

I try to smile everyday but I can't... :smile:

G

I noticed that when I turn everything off from startup WinME loads a little longer. I don't thin it matters to have or not with 448M pc133 RAM, won't give much.

G

things that are in your systray that aren't in Start>Programs>Startup can be found in Start>Run>msconfig>Startup tab ... you can disable the ones you don't want, just be careful with what you uncheck.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
You CAN kill systray on 98, and you still get the clock, unles of course it depends on the version of 98 and what updates are installed.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Killerkris

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
probably - i remember on first edition and second edition as well (unpatched though) i could not kill systray without a BSOD or the computer freezing - i know in millenium if you want (and 2000) you can however stop systray.

A Life, where can i download one of those from?

G

I do not have Systray running and my computer does not crash.Systray is just the volume control, I believe which I have on the Quick Launch bar instead.
Without Systray running you can save app.5 - 10% on system resources.

Jim

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
its not always JUST the volume, a lot of aps (for example Norton av/task monitor/motherboard monitor) have <b>tray icons</b> i.e. they "live" in the system tray

Next time you wave - use all your fingers