LCD vs CRT

I have been using CRT to play my FS since day 1.
Seems that CRTs is beginning to phase out and replaced by LCD.
Who among here are using LCD and please share your experience.
(what size? 17" or 19" ? what refresh rate? seems that
LCD has low refresh rate? how about response time?)
Thanks for sharing.
4 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    I use an 18.1" LCD without any prolem. My first LCD was a MAG brand and it
    was a little slow on the refresh and caused a flicker, or stutter. After a
    very short time, it broke and I replaced it with a panasonic (I think that
    is the brand) and it had a refresh rate much better... Flicker went away.
    No problem ever since. However, I will say the picture of my CRT monitor
    was a bit clearer and less pixelated (is that even a word?) That is simply
    the nature of LCD monitors, either you can live with it, or not.

    I am sure that now (2 years since I bought my LCD) the technology has
    improved a great deal. Refresh rates are probably a lot better, and the
    picelation is not as obvious... Just a guess though.

    --
    Mike Flyin'8
    PP-ASEL

    Flyin'8@here.com wrote in news:20050517190358.212$92@newsreader.com:

    > I use an 18.1" LCD without any prolem. My first LCD was a MAG brand
    > and it was a little slow on the refresh and caused a flicker, or
    > stutter. After a very short time, it broke and I replaced it with a
    > panasonic (I think that is the brand) and it had a refresh rate much
    > better... Flicker went away. No problem ever since. However, I will
    > say the picture of my CRT monitor was a bit clearer and less pixelated
    > (is that even a word?) That is simply the nature of LCD monitors,
    > either you can live with it, or not.

    I'm looking at replacing my dying CRT. Right now looking at the Dell
    1905FP. It seems like only 3 companies build the basic display:
    LG Phillips, AUO, and Samsung. So 2 brands with the same basic screen
    will have similar performance.

    The 17-19 " monitors run as 1280x1024, whereas the 20+" are 1600x1200.
    Some monitors that quote fast response time only provide 6 bits per
    color, vice 8 bits so you are giving up color depth for speed. It
    seems like today best quality picture can be had at a best response
    rate of 16 ms. 12 ms displays are advertised but I think they are
    giving up PQ for speed. The response is a function of the difference
    in color so what is advertised has to define how it was measured
    (such as grey to grey).

    The DVI digital input seems to provide better quality than analog.

    scott s.
    ..

    <Flyin'8@here.com> wrote in message
    >I use an 18.1" LCD without any prolem. My first LCD was a MAG brand and it
    > was a little slow on the refresh and caused a flicker, or stutter. After
    > very short time, it broke and I replaced it with a panasonic (I think that
    > is the brand) and it had a refresh rate much better... Flicker went away.
    > No problem ever since. However, I will say the picture of my CRT monitor
    > was a bit clearer and less pixelated (is that even a word?) That is
    > simply
    > the nature of LCD monitors, either you can live with it, or not.
    >
    > I am sure that now (2 years since I bought my LCD) the technology has
    > improved a great deal. Refresh rates are probably a lot better, and the
    > picelation is not as obvious... Just a guess though.
    >

    > maxwell <mmmm@nothere.com> wrote:
    >> I have been using CRT to play my FS since day 1.
    >> Seems that CRTs is beginning to phase out and replaced by LCD.
    >> Who among here are using LCD and please share your experience.
    >> (what size? 17" or 19" ? what refresh rate? seems that
    >> LCD has low refresh rate? how about response time?)
    >> Thanks for sharing.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Flyin'8
    > PP-ASEL
    > Temecula, CA
    > http://flying.4alexanders.com

    First, the refresh rate for LCD screens is not a problem. Since a pixel is
    either 'on' or 'off', and does not 'fade out', it really doesn't matter. My
    Viewsonic VX912 currently runs at 60 Hz (it can also run at 75 Hz, though I
    see no reason to run at that rate). However, the response rate is another
    matter entirely - how quickly can it actually switch a pixel? I'm not going
    to go into any detail here (largely because I don't fully understand the
    technology!) but it seems to be generally accepted that anything under 16ms
    is acceptable. My Viewsonic does 12ms, and I certainly have not noticed any
    'ghosting' in FS9. Some of the latest LCDs claim 8ms, so should be even less
    susceptible to ghosting. CRTs, on the other hand, need to refresh pixels to
    avoid 'flicker', and in the UK the legal minimum for business use is 72Hz.
    Most ordinary users seem to run at 75Hz with no problems, though I have
    heard some claim they can still see flicker at 75Hz (not sure I believe
    them). Nonetheless, on my CRT I normally ran at 85Hz.
    Only downside I can see for LCD is that you do realistically need to run at
    its 'native resolution', which for 17" and 19" is 1280x1024 (my Viewsonic is
    19"; my Samsung CRT was also 19" (nominal), so ran at 1280x960 - WHY do 17"
    and 19" LCDs not have the standard 4:3 aspect ratio???).
    Regards,
    Steve.

    I'm using a HP L2335
    23 inch widescreen
    16:10 format design that supports 16:9 ratio with Zoom feature
    Native 1920 x 1200 resolution
    typical brightness level of 250 nits
    500:1 contrast ratio
    16 ms response rate
    Standard 15-pin D-sub analog
    DVI digital interface
    composite
    component
    s-video
    Picture in Picture
    170x170 degree viewing angles
    perfect for playing flight sim, myst IV and URU, watching dvd's,
    watching and recording cable tv, playing GameCube etc.....
    perfect for a media center pc / home entertainment center / using
    multiple computers etc...
    seriously sell your tv and old monitor and get one. heck the price has
    even gone done $200 since I bought mine! :( oh well it was worth it

LCD CRT Monitors Video Games Product