Windows 7 cd key question

jgbrah

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
I'm doing a new build and I am currently using 32 bit windows 7 professional that I bought from school I also have a copy of a 64bit 7 Professional ISO that was provided for me through one of my courses that I unfortunately didn't get the key for. My question is can I use the key that I used for my current install of windows 7 professional with the new windows 7 64 bit professional? If this is possible what will I need to do?

tl;dr I want to use my 32 bit student copy professional key for a fresh install of 64 bit professional

Solution
Well, Windows does not (should not) know/care which disc is inserted, so it does not know whether it was a disc supplied in the same case (retail) or another disc from another package. The difference will be in the software that you are trying to install. I reckon you should be fine.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I believe you can use the same key, as long as it is the same version of Windows (eg. 32 Pro to 64 Pro - 32 Home to 64 Pro would not work, etc). Although I have not seen it or done it, it makes sense, since when you buy a Windows retail package, both the 32 and 64 bit discs are included with the one serial.

jgbrah

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

the only thing is, I bought a student version in which only a 32 bit copy was given to me. Do you still think it's possible to do this?

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Well, Windows does not (should not) know/care which disc is inserted, so it does not know whether it was a disc supplied in the same case (retail) or another disc from another package. The difference will be in the software that you are trying to install. I reckon you should be fine.

Solution

jgbrah

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

Nice! thanks so much for the response!