• 34 %
  • AIR (after factory)
  • 67 %
  • water
  • 0 %
  • Phase Change
  • 0 %
March 2, 2006 3:16:37 AM

Ok i was thinking about spending $850 on a phase change cooling system for my CPU and it runs from -50 to -30 degrees celcius, with that kind of temperature what kind of overclocking do you think i could get to cus right now i overclock to 2.6 Ghz on stock cooling and could easily do more. and one more thing, do you think it is worth the money???
March 2, 2006 3:41:59 AM

For that type of money I would buy a FX57 with stock 2.8 for $810 and overclock that with air instead of going with the phase cooling.
March 2, 2006 3:57:29 AM

but with phase change i could get my 4000 to well over 3 Ghz, more like 3.6 or something, as long as it stays cool you can overclock as much as you want.
Related resources
March 2, 2006 4:56:43 AM

Quote:
but with phase change i could get my 4000 to well over 3 Ghz, more like 3.6 or something, as long as it stays cool you can overclock as much as you want.

Phase change does look amazing but I'm too much of a chicken to cook so hot even backed up against that kind of ice cube. For sure if you go that way, be patient in setting up your OC. A local guy told me it's hard on the CPU to deal with repeated restarts when you are dialing in your setup because the temperature shock is extreme when the CPU stops making heat and the phase plate is still sucking heat away.

I like the Einstein quote you use. Albert had a way with words. He wrote a couple of books later in his life that are worth a read if you haven't already. One was titled "Out Of My Later Years" or something like that. I'm on the road so I can't go look on the shelf...
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2006 5:18:27 AM

Don't be in such a hurry to spend your peso's, ... One of the more well known manufacturers of computer components is coming out with one for about 350 dollars, I read. Wish I could remember who it was, and where I read it so you could see.

I'd like to try it out. The article said 0 deg celcius under load. Now your cooking. Great overclocking abilities there providing you can keep dumping voltages into it.

http://eclipseoc.com/index.php?id=0,42,0,0,1,0

Did a quick search, it was ocz... not what I originally read, but there may be links to get you somewhere good
March 2, 2006 5:33:09 AM

Quote:

I seriously doubt you would be able to come close to hit 3.6Ghz with a 4000+ even with phase changing. the 4000+ has a locked cpu multiplier at 12x so if your max frequency you can go up to is 250, even if you could have it stable using the 12x multiplier, the most you could get would be 3Ghz.

Quote:
For that type of money I would buy a FX57 with stock 2.8 for $810 and overclock that with air instead of going with the phase cooling.

I agree with primus here. The difference is that besides the FX series costing a lot more and being better processors, the multiplier in the FX series is unlocked. This means that if you only wanted the frequency to be at 225 you could set the multiplier to 16x and there you have it, 3.6Ghz.

Then all you have to do is run stability tests to make sure it's stable. 8)
March 2, 2006 5:44:12 AM

Quote:

I don't think you can clock it as much as you want.
I believe your motherboard will have limits. like the chipset hitting its frequency limit. what happens when you hit the ceiling on your voltage? i believe the chip itself has a speed limit too, depending on the pipeline stage length, htt frequency etc, (but if you're using an unlocked fx you can just increase the multiplier i guess..)

However, if you want extreme overclocking, pentium 4s clock really well up past the 6ghz mark on LN2. And the 65nm ones should be even better.
If you're seriously going to spend $850 on cooling I would go buy an intel 65nm and overclock that. i wouldn't waste a phase changing system on an athlon.

Anyhow, I don't reckon you'll get an A64 to 3.6ghz. but try it for me will you?
!