Need Help Finding a Board

dlantz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I'm trying to find a board for my 3400+ (754 chipset) that has pci-e, at least 3 pci slots, IEEE 1394, and holds at least 3 gigs mem. Can't find anything still being sold that meets my requirements. Anybody know of one?

Thanks

dlantz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Out of stock at newegg, and the manufacturer has discontinued that board, so not sure they'll get them back in stock. :(

Don't suppose someone knows of another board or a place to find this one?

twall

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2005
For the ASUS one p8ntslinger676 found for you, just to get the fuzzy feeling, will probably be avaliable in two days. newegg says:

Out Of Stock
ETA: 3/4/2006 12:53:00 AM

But if they dont get them back in stock, you can always do this:

1. Choose either
a) Foxconn NF4K8AB-RS Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
b) Gigabyte GA-K8NE Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce4 4X ATX AMDMotherboard - Retail
c) DFI nF4X Infinity Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce4-4X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

If you are going to be able to use 1000 Mbps lan, get Gigabye. DFI has more Raid options. If you don't care about raid or lan, just buy Foxconn since it is te cheapest.

2. Buy a PCI-X to 1394 card. You can find these at your local best buy or wherever, at newegg, go to accessories on the computer hardware tab, and click on add on cards. Then choose PCI X to 1394 or whatever. Foxconn motherboard has 3 PCI X lanes, so you wouldn't have any problems finding an avaliable slot.

The thing is, regular PCI to 1394 cards are so cheap, but in newegg.com, the cheapest PCI Express to 1394 card i found is 60 dolars. You will save 25 dollars if you buy foxconn instead of asus, but then you would have th pay an extra 60 for that card.

What are you going to use 3 regular pci slots for, anyway. I am assuming you already have these add on cards, but if you dont already own them, dont buy them yet. See if there is a PCI express card for those, and if they are about the same price as the regular pcis, or even 15-20 dollars more, buy the PCI X one, because regular PCI to 1394 cards are as low as 5 dollars. Do you see where i am going with this?

Most people think if PCI Express is not x16, they will never use them. But they are not just props, engineers built them to do something :p