We need more power Captian!!!

bxmedic

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
Ok I'll try and make this as concise as possible. I have a Dell XPS Gen 4 with a 460watt PSU. System specs below + 5 fans. I want to add a 7800GTX 512mb card. I have read on Dell's forums that the PCIe power connection that comes with this system may not have enough amps for this power hungry card. I would then want some extra juice from another source on the PSU. The problem I have is that there are only 2, 4-pin molex connectors on 1- 12v rail and 4 SATA power connectors on the other 12v rail. XPS PSU I only have 1 HDD and do not have use for the other SATA power connections but am in need of 2 4-pin connectors for use of a 2 x 4pin to PCIe cable. I do not want to use a lot of splitters because that would just drain may much needed amps further. What I would like to do is put the fans and optical drives on the SATA power connectors and use the 4 pin connectors for PCIe. I think that would give me enough amps. So my question is; does anyone know if they make a SATA to 4 pin connector. I know there are many 4 pin to SATA but I can't find any from SATA to 4 pin. If there is no such beast, could I cut the wires from the SATA plug and attach a 4-pin molex?
My last option is to get a PSU from Dell that is for the XPS 600, which has a 650watt PSU; but I am sure that is not cheap at all. If you can understand my babbling and can help thank you very much.

Dell XPS Gen 4 925ex Chipset
P4 650 3.4G
3072mb PC4200 DDR2
160G SATA HDD Win XP home
DVD/CD-RW
DVD-RW
7800GT 256mb (Hope to upgrade to 7800gtx 512mb)
SB Audigy 2 ZS

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I have a Dell XPS Gen 4 with a 460watt PSU. System specs below + 5 fans. I want to add a 7800GTX 512mb card. I have read on Dell's forums that the PCIe power connection that comes with this system may not have enough amps for this power hungry card. I would then want some extra juice from another source on the PSU. The problem I have is that there are only 2, 4-pin molex connectors on 1- 12v rail and 4 SATA power connectors on the other 12v rail. XPS PSU I only have 1 HDD and do not have use for the other SATA power connections but am in need of 2 4-pin connectors for use of a 2 x 4pin to PCIe cable. I do not want to use a lot of splitters because that would just drain may much needed amps further. What I would like to do is put the fans and optical drives on the SATA power connectors and use the 4 pin connectors for PCIe. I think that would give me enough amps. So my question is; does anyone know if they make a SATA to 4 pin connector. I know there are many 4 pin to SATA but I can't find any from SATA to 4 pin. If there is no such beast, could I cut the wires from the SATA plug and attach a 4-pin molex?
My last option is to get a PSU from Dell that is for the XPS 600, which has a 650watt PSU; but I am sure that is not cheap at all.

I'm pretty comfortable cutting cables and making my own wiring harnesses. If you are competent at making cables, soldering, molex, etc., then go for it! If you aren't sure, then get some help because you REALLY don't want a PS cable coming apart. For cables that get some physical abuse, I either do a very bomber braid and solder or do a solder plus crimp. either way, I do a good job of shrink afterwards - 2 or more layers if the cable has any chance for abrasion or stress. Short out your PS and you could lose the Mobo and maybe more.

You can buy a neat little device (Radio Shack? Newark?) that measures current flow through a wire. That might help you understand where your power is going and how close you are to maxing out your PS. I recommend keeping some headroom, at least 20%.