Odd extraction problem for net version of SP-2

Hi,

I'm trying to install SP-2 on 2 similar desktop computers running XP Pro.
The installation on the first PC went well with no problems. On the second
PC I receive the following error message:

"Extraction Failed
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

And then:

"The file or directory windows XP-KB835...-ENU.exe is corrupt and
unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

After which the system goes into a blue screen error and reboots. Chkdsk
finds and corrects several hundred orphaned files on the drive - all
in the temporary directory which the extraction utility was attempting to
use.

When I try the installation again the exact same thing happens. I've used
the same copy of the downloaded network version of SP-2 in each case. It
worked well on one PC and fails completely on the other. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Steve
2 answers Last reply
More about extraction problem version

    delete the temp folder. Copy the CD file to a new folder
    (SP2) on your hard drive, then install from the hard drive.

    "Steve Robertson" <SNRobertson@compuserve.com> wrote in
    message news:u9RMMhmjEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    | Hi,
    |
    | I'm trying to install SP-2 on 2 similar desktop computers
    running XP Pro.
    | The installation on the first PC went well with no
    problems. On the second
    | PC I receive the following error message:
    |
    | "Extraction Failed
    | The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."
    |
    | And then:
    |
    | "The file or directory windows XP-KB835...-ENU.exe is
    corrupt and
    | unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."
    |
    | After which the system goes into a blue screen error and
    reboots. Chkdsk
    | finds and corrects several hundred orphaned files on the
    drive - all
    | in the temporary directory which the extraction utility
    was attempting to
    | use.
    |
    | When I try the installation again the exact same thing
    happens. I've used
    | the same copy of the downloaded network version of SP-2 in
    each case. It
    | worked well on one PC and fails completely on the other.
    Any ideas?

    | Thanks for your help!
    |
    | Steve

    Hi Jim,

    Thanks for your reply.

    >>delete the temp folder. Copy the CD file to a new folder (SP2) on your
    >>hard drive, then install from the hard drive.<<

    I had already done that several times. I have copied the SP-2 executable
    through the network to the PC's drive, I've copied it from CD. Each attempt
    at running the executable led to the corrupt directory message and the
    temporary folder could not be deleted until I had run Chkdsk.

    Any more ideas?

    Thanks,
    Steve

Windows XP