Odd extraction problem for net version of SP-2

Hi,

I'm trying to install SP-2 on 2 similar desktop computers running XP Pro.
The installation on the first PC went well with no problems. On the second
PC I receive the following error message:

"Extraction Failed
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

And then:

"The file or directory windows XP-KB835...-ENU.exe is corrupt and
unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

After which the system goes into a blue screen error and reboots. Chkdsk
finds and corrects several hundred orphaned files on the drive - all
in the temporary directory which the extraction utility was attempting to
use.

When I try the installation again the exact same thing happens. I've used
the same copy of the downloaded network version of SP-2 in each case. It
worked well on one PC and fails completely on the other. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Steve

delete the temp folder. Copy the CD file to a new folder
(SP2) on your hard drive, then install from the hard drive.

"Steve Robertson" <SNRobertson@compuserve.com> wrote in
message news:u9RMMhmjEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
| Hi,
|
| I'm trying to install SP-2 on 2 similar desktop computers
running XP Pro.
| The installation on the first PC went well with no
problems. On the second
| PC I receive the following error message:
|
| "Extraction Failed
| The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."
|
| And then:
|
| "The file or directory windows XP-KB835...-ENU.exe is
corrupt and
| unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."
|
| After which the system goes into a blue screen error and
reboots. Chkdsk
| finds and corrects several hundred orphaned files on the
drive - all
| in the temporary directory which the extraction utility
was attempting to
| use.
|
| When I try the installation again the exact same thing
happens. I've used
| the same copy of the downloaded network version of SP-2 in
each case. It
| worked well on one PC and fails completely on the other.
Any ideas?

| Thanks for your help!
|
| Steve

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

>>delete the temp folder. Copy the CD file to a new folder (SP2) on your
>>hard drive, then install from the hard drive.<<

I had already done that several times. I have copied the SP-2 executable
through the network to the PC's drive, I've copied it from CD. Each attempt
at running the executable led to the corrupt directory message and the
temporary folder could not be deleted until I had run Chkdsk.

Any more ideas?

Thanks,
Steve