perz

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
My microphone doesnt work, i cant record or talk with it.
I have tried both the onboard sound and a pci-soundcard.
I have reinstalled XP, and tried Linux. No mic.
I have of course tried another mic too.
Can it be something on the motherboard that is busted?
Funny thing is when on messenger or teamspek or other, the reciving end can hear the music and other sounds from my computer!!!!! Loud and clear, instead of the mic! I dont get it????

I think its a problem somewere on the mb but i dont know....

I have a Asus P4P800-E Deluxe. Anyone ?

Posted this weeks ago, no answers, are'nt this supposed to be an expert forum? Maybe its amatuers legue....

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
nobody answered you question because is quite strange ..i mean must be something in here....
maybe that mic of yours is a ceramic mic ..whitch has very low sensibility ..it usualy has few microV/kohm....try an electrodinamic mic.....
if you checked the mixer .... try the sound recorder ...use the mic ..and see whether there is something recorded.........
excuse my english i hope this helps

Corasik

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
You have rule out the motherboard already imho, as you said you tried a PCI sound card, as well as the onboard one.

If you can install the drivers for the PCI sound card, then clearly the PCI slots are working correctly, so there is no reason to blame the motherboard when even the PCI sound card cant record.

I would have thought more likely you have the mixer settings wrong, you said yourself, that the computer is sending/recording the 'sounds/music' from your computer, thats normally caused by having the recording settings wrong in windows. Under audio properties (control panel, sound and audio, audio) you can select which device you are using for recording. Select the PCI sound card there (System should list the sound card, and the motherboard audio if you have all the drivers installed correctly), then click volume, untick everything except microphone, and push the mic volume to max and test.

Both with the PCI sound card, and the motherboard you will likely have 3 ports, Line in, Line Out, and Microphone. Its important not to confuse line in, and Mic sockets, as the Microphone input has a small amplifier to bring the mic input up to line levels.

On most motherboards (and cheaper sound cards) the mic input is pink, line out green, and line in blue. More expensive cards often have golden sockets without the colour coding, for those you have to read the backplate.

While its possible the motherboard has a fault stopping its built in mic input working, its extremely unlikely that a motherboard fault to 'spread' to the PCI sound card.

perz

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
Thanks for the input guys, you seem to know something, in contrast to many others on the forum...

This is an extremely strange problem. The microphone WAS working perfectly for a long time but suddenly stopped. Instead the people i talked to on MSN messenger, skype or the teamspeak program (those are the programs i use)
couldent hear me (the mic) BUT they could hear all other sounds my comp made, for example music, perfectly and loud!

The same thing also happened to a friend when he changed his motherboard.
On his machine we tried knoppix (live CD) also, and still no mic there either!

uncle_ben

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
Mixer ---> move up recording slider & make sure MIC is selected as a source for recording.

If ppl can hear your PC over network they listen to "Wave" source not "mic" source.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I think the question needs to be asked whether you had changed anything before the mic stop working. Have you actually tested your mic on another computer to ensure that it isn't the problem?

commanderspockep

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Uncle Ben is on the right track. If you are using teamspeak, in the recording settings select mic. And of course make sure the mic is plugged in correctly and in working condition. If you have "what u hear" selected they will hear your media player or winamp playing. So its a nice way to stream am quality music.

Ghostyman

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
nobody answered you question because is quite strange ..i mean must be something in here....
maybe that mic of yours is a ceramic mic ..whitch has very low sensibility ..it usualy has few microV/kohm....try an electrodinamic mic.....
if you checked the mixer .... try the sound recorder ...use the mic ..and see whether there is something recorded.........
excuse my english i hope this helps

agree with you!

holydutchmen

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Maybe i can clairify the problem because I'm having the same situation with my microphone. I also got a ASUS P4P800 with on board sound card SoundMax. I have re-installed drivers checks my settings all looks good. I have tryed re-installing soundmax. it's definatly in the correct port. I also have a 5.1 surrond sound logitech only in quad speaker mode cause i need subwoofer port for microphone. When I go to configure it and asked me to register my voice to see if it configured right nothign jsut a straight line, sapposed to be sound waves. if u need spec or other detail give me a shout.