Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Dual core - now or wait

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Dual Core
Last response: in CPUs
March 2, 2006 10:49:52 AM

Well, it seems that the single core does not function well, when you are gamer, and have some apps running (like Bit Tornado, and other stuff), so I believe it's time for dual core solution

Yet...that brings more questions :) 

1) AMD options
a) just get me X2 :D 
b) wait for AM2, get new mobo and chip

2) Intel option
a) wait for Conroe, cuz Pressler doesn't seem good option, and current version of 975x won't support Conroe

Well, I don't know if it's worth to wait for AM2, or just stay with the 939. I'm not also sure about Intel way of thinking. Northwood was good, but I hear mixed opinions about current 900 series. I heard they are good for office, but not for games :)  And I've no brand loyalty :)  I want just to choose best avialable solution

I admit, staying with 939 is cheapest way, but...cheapest doesn't mean best :) . Cuz if I want to upgrade in future I'll have to scratch the 939 and get me the M2 after all

So...what do you suggest (And pls, no fanboy comments, like "get Intel cuz it's da best company" it's facts that count, not opinions :D )

More about : dual core wait

March 2, 2006 3:53:40 PM

Wait for the M2, it's within a few months away and much more expandable (to 4 core for example)
There is no reason for single core uness you hate mult-tasking.,
just my 2 cents.
March 2, 2006 4:04:30 PM

We'll if you've got money to burn, then get dual core now.

and btw you put smiley faces in your post too much.
Related resources
March 2, 2006 4:07:26 PM

How long can you wait before you upgrade? Plus Quad -cores are coming.
March 2, 2006 4:56:59 PM

This is the never-ending dilemma us PC enthusiasts face......upgrade now or wait for the next best thing. Unfortunately, the next best thing is ALWAYS just around the corner and usually pretty expensive when released. In my experience anyways, it is pretty rare for me to upgrade a CPU without upgrading a motherboard as well. The exception has been the 939 AMD, I started off with a 3000+ and fairly recently got an Opteron 165 and am very happy.

I don't really care much about AM2 because I'm not going to be upgrading my CPU/mobo for at least the next year anyway.

This being said, I said to hell with it and went ahead and got the Opty 165...a relatively inexpensive upgrade (considering it didn't necessitate a new mobo and memory) and it has been well worth it to me. Not only does it overclock like nothing else, but the dual-core seriously helps out with multi-tasking.

I find it hard to believe that anyone STRICTLY uses their PC for gaming, and hell, most games are either supporting multiple threads out of the box or at least are getting patched to support dual-cores. While the benefits are sometimes negligible, in my case it has been worth the 300 bucks in spades.

So my opinion is, since you already have a 939 platform (same mobo as I do) go for an X2 or dual-core Opteron. You'll be happy with it. You can always wait for the next best thing, but I hate waiting. By the time I'm ready to upgrade again I won't have to deal with buggy v.1 mobos and my options will be much greater. Who knows, at that point even Intel might be back in the game? They sure haven't been since the NetBurst architecture!

Just my 2 cents.
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2006 10:25:13 PM

Id be waiting for conroe - AM2 is a platform change (no huge performance gain) where as conore a new core - shall see how it goes, better = cheaper AMDs, slower = cheaper intels.
March 2, 2006 10:26:40 PM

Quote:
Id be waiting for conroe - AM2 is a platform change (no huge performance gain) where as conore a new core - shall see how it goes, better = cheaper AMDs, slower = cheaper intels.

Shush Fanboy.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2006 5:52:09 AM

Fanboy? P6 fanboy maybe but i find it wise if he wants to wait, to wait for conroe (as in when its released not just for it or to buy it) to see some competition, we have a up and coming war - a proven architecture (AMD K8) vs a new architecture (well based on the good parts of there previous cores) - if one is better the other will be cheaper!!!!

Your the fanboy trying to hush up a good sugestion cause its Intel if anything.

Chill man - we all want better AND cheaper systems not BRANDS, thats what makes fanboys.
March 3, 2006 7:25:25 AM

It all depends on your budget and what you're upgrade cycle looks like. With the AMD to M@ switch, there isn't going to be a large performance difference, but with conroe, we're suppose to get a boost. Of course, I don't expect AMD (nor does anyone else) to sit quietly while intel releases new processors, and we shoudl se new ones from AMD in no time to match Conroe.

That said, what's you're upgrade cycle like? Do you get a new machine (core performance compenents replaced entirely) every year, or once every few years. What's your individual component upgrade cycle like?

The reason I ask these is that it puts things into perspective. If you're going to buy a system now, and keep it relatively unmodified for 3 or 4 years, then the performance difference between now and a couple months from now is going to be minimal when compared to when you're ready to upgrade again.

However, if you upgrade frequently, then future proofing should be something to consider. With AMD, once M2 gets released, you should be able to upgrade your processor for the next year, maybe year and a half, without having to get a new motherboard as well. Conversely with intel, who knows how long you'll get to upgrade once conroe comes out (has intel stopped their new socket for new processor business model yet?).

Now, If you were to get an AMD system now, the current processors are the best that you're going to get for the current motherboards on socket 939. Upgrading later will require a new motherboard for the then current socket, as well as new RAM, as DDR will be replaced by DDR2.

So, think about what you're perceived upgrade plan is going to be, then get back to us, and we'll be able to provide you with a more informed decision, rather than spewing personally feelings that may or may not have any relavence to your current situation.
March 3, 2006 9:00:48 AM

Wait for Conroe.

And Mike, would you please jump off the next cliff?
March 3, 2006 9:45:35 AM

I generally switch comp once a year...usually I just choose every second generation (like with gfx cards - I upgraded from x800xl to 1900xtx, skipping the 1800).

The problem with AM2 is that AMD chipsets first revisions were usually not too good (especially Via ones :p ), so even if it's released in June, then the first good mobos will be around the Conroe is released in July, so I can compare them and choose best solution

And well, buying new CPU now, taking that (by my prices) the 4200 x2 is about 450$, and that would be AM2 or i975 (new revision, Conroe compatible) plus memory, so it would be like smoking that cash.

So I'll listen to your advice and wait to see which one is better (And I hope that this 20% difference between Intel and AMD is not in price, but performance :p )
March 3, 2006 10:44:15 AM

I'm about to upgrade in T minus 28 days. Currently have an old dual 1ghz AMD MP rig that I was going to drop Mp 2400+ in, but its not worth it. I like having a workstation. I was excited about the x2 processors and was going to get one and a 939 board, but I like highly scalabe options.

The trend now is no longer vertical w/ mHz wars, but horizontal - scaling wide with mutlicores and lots of ram.

So I chose a 940 dual socket board and a Opteron 265 instead of an Opteron 165. Yes, I have to pay $100 more for an ASUS board, but I can drop another 265 on if I feel like it and scale up to 16GB of ram. Currently XP limits you to 4Gb and most desktop motherboards will do so also.

When chips are cheaper and a few years down the road I can upgrade my dual 265s to faster chips. Keep in ming I'm startin goff with (1) Opteron 265.

Sure the Am2 is on the horizon, but I think my solution will future proof my system for 3 years without huge performance limits.

Downside... Registered RAM ... upside, it ain't that expensive. Granted, I am going to drop a cheap x300 pci express card in it to begin with cuz I'm po'. Upside, have you seen the Sisoft Sandra benchmarks for a Dual Opteron 265 set up?!?!

OY!!! :twisted:
March 3, 2006 11:45:56 AM

I use the method of... Build what I want, when I want it & use the parts you want to use. Whether be it Intel or AMD, Nvidia or ATI, it doesn't matter. You'll never build the best the computer, because as soon as you put it together, it has been outdated by something new.

Just be sure to put together something with some longevity. I think i've been doing pretty good, I've owned 4 computers since 95'. That's close to 1 comp ever ~2 3/4 year. Not to shabby :wink:
March 3, 2006 11:56:41 AM

Quad -cores are coming

is that true?

oh >>>
March 3, 2006 1:18:12 PM

Quad core won't be out to the general public until at the earliest sometime in 2007. AM2 will be more expensive right after release and won't offer huge preformacne gains in it's first generation. I would say just get an X2, you can swap the processor and you are good to go. The X2 should keep you in the game for the next year or two, and if your motherboard has PCI-E, you will be able to keep up with video cards too. I'll get an AM2 motherboard when they have quad core and possibly DDR3, but until then my X2 is fine. I found if you wait for this and wait for that it's really hard to jump in as there is always something new to wait for.

Bottom line, just get an X2 now, they start at $300 and you're done for a while. One part, just drop it in and go.
March 3, 2006 11:26:36 PM

arnt quad cores here already?

get a socket 940 bobo with 2 940 sockets with 2 dual core opterons u got quad core..?
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2006 11:36:36 PM

quad as in 4 cores in one package/chip so your dual cpu board will have 8 cores etc
March 4, 2006 1:18:29 AM

Quote:

So agent 86, that means you know that AMD will set-up their new memory controller for minimum efficiency, so that your Intel share prices will escalate to a point where you can bail out without incurring a grievous loss to your portfolio.
It's time for the cone of silence.
No, I won't take it like you got it.
I'll interview agent 99 for the details.
March 4, 2006 1:41:10 AM

I just bought a refurbished X2 3800+ for $265

I looked at it like this. As long as I have an SLi board, awesome DDR 400 (or better) memory, this system will last me till DDR3 1600 comes out which will be late '07 or sometime in '08, right now there is barely any support for Dual Cores, but then again support is growing everyday so i'll bite my tongue on that. But knowing that dc's are just now getting support after a year of being out, and then quad-cores are do out in a year. Thats just bad business sense there building hardware well beyond the current tech level of software, Intel needs a smack on the wrist for this. AMD is playing the timetable smart buy waiting for DDR2 costs to be almost equal to DDR and releasing quad-cores after the market has shifted into multi-threaded applications.

I say buy now, with good DDR400 your good for almost a solid 2yrs.
a b à CPUs
March 4, 2006 2:20:09 AM

Quote:

So agent 86, that means you know that AMD will set-up their new memory controller for minimum efficiency, so that your Intel share prices will escalate to a point where you can bail out without incurring a grievous loss to your portfolio.
It's time for the cone of silence.
No, I won't take it like you got it.
I'll interview agent 99 for the details.

WTF you on bout?
March 4, 2006 12:12:35 PM

I was thinking of waiting until the new AMD chips are upon us and then get AMD Dual Core 4800 for a cheaper price than it is now.
March 4, 2006 2:35:26 PM

Quote:
quad as in 4 cores in one package/chip so your dual cpu board will have 8 cores etc

ahh
ok

but who needs 4 or 8 cores?
a b à CPUs
March 4, 2006 10:42:40 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of waiting until the new AMD chips are upon us and then get AMD Dual Core 4800 for a cheaper price than it is now.

well if conroe is all its cracked up to be you might get a FX60 for the price of your 4800
March 5, 2006 12:39:16 AM

Too late - couldn't wait - ordered a 4800 today :D 
March 5, 2006 3:16:28 AM

Like these guys are saying, wait a while after Conroe to see what both companies have to offer, then decide. :wink:
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2006 7:52:28 AM

Quote:
Like these guys are saying, wait a while after Conroe to see what both companies have to offer, then decide. :wink:

that is the best idea - one will be faster, one will be cheaper within a month, i like that idea, and either will be quicker then my cpu!!!!!!!
March 5, 2006 9:34:14 PM

but its so far away.... :'(  lol also when does UT2007 and Halo 3 come out? this also determins when i should build my new rig?
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2006 6:25:05 AM

Quote:
but its so far away.... :'(  lol also when does UT2007 and Halo 3 come out? this also determins when i should build my new rig?

yeah i know but in the time you can save more $$$ and buy better hardware aswell as the hardware you want now will be cheaper... on the other hand gotta buy some times cause theres always something better
March 6, 2006 6:41:24 AM

You should wait for the 65nm AMD AM2 chip or the Conroe that are coming out next year. But if you want one for now to last you till next year then get the X2 4000 series or the D940. :D 
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2006 7:12:34 AM

i wish intel conroe was compatible with current P4 s775 boards so we could buy systems now for em and wait for it... but that never happens...
March 6, 2006 7:23:23 AM

Yeah, Ive read about both AMD and Intel with their upcoming board with more socket pin count. So I think by next year systems will have a complete make over and makes older system limited for upgrade. The only thing I could use by next years upgrade would be my psu and case. :(  But I guess things change for the better part. :) 
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2006 7:35:55 AM

compatible as in conroe does fit 775 but wont work with current boards (same as socket370 and its 3 revisions)

i want to hear some official news bout intel ditching there QDR fsb, but then again conroes sucessor may be a 45nm variant with ICM and CSI, never know...
March 6, 2006 8:28:57 AM

I don't know about any official words from Intel but I think they would still continue to support the Pentium for maybe a year or two before they would partially abandone it and use the Conroe architecture. It would be just like the AGP where it is now limited and few manufacturer still supports it here and there.

So I think we just gonna have to get a new board in order to upgrade with better cpu of both Intel and AMD. Chipset plays a major role in cpu so eventhough the new chip would fit into an older board still it won't be able to support it. I could be wrong but it just my guesstimation. We'll just have to see it next year or by the end of this year they should be able to release complete info and official words to the public.
March 6, 2006 1:29:07 PM

I've only seem AMD say quad core on socket F, does someone have any reliable info for quad cores on AM2?

Personally, I think an Opteron 265 or 270 system is a decent bet. It'll take a very fast single CPU to beat a duel system for multi threaded apps and I can't see AMD bringing out much faster CPUs any time soon. When they do release them, they'll be damn expensive ...
March 7, 2006 2:56:12 PM

You should wait for the 22nm processor. JK..

You can always wait in this business. Dont you think when the AM2 releases AMD will announce their next venture into the AM3.. ect.

If you choose to wait you will be waiting forever. Its like this with alot of things. Cars for example is the same thing. Car A comes with a LS6 but next year it will have an LS2 so wait for that... ect ect.

Buy the processor now. Im doing it. Dual core now, make sure you get the best technology offered to date with everything and the PC will carry you for at least 3 years.

When it begins to lose its power and games and apps become more needy the AM3 will release and you will be ahead of the game over the guys who waiting for the AM2. This cycle will continue forever.

Today you got the best PC, tomorrow someone else gets a better one than you. 1 to 2 years after that you have a better PC than them...

Get the FX-60 and bask in the glory of owning the hottest thing out there for the next 6 months.

Also the AM2 will sell for probably $1500 at release.
a b à CPUs
March 8, 2006 1:33:34 AM

yeah AM2 - no real performance gain - its leapfrog time and its time for Intel to rule once again.
March 8, 2006 10:29:09 AM

Quote:
yeah AM2 - no real performance gain - its leapfrog time and its time for Intel to rule once again.

and you think that’s it for them? Im willing to bet that AMD has got something their not telling us.

There have been no secrets kept about the AM2 for a long time. AMD has been very public about this technology. IMO im thinking AMD has got something else to deal with Conroe and they are holding out.

Well shall see, and if not, let the cold war of CPU's continue with intel currently owning more nukes, im sure AMD will catch up. :) 

Im not a fan boy either way for AMD or INTEL, and I wouldnt call the coroners yet on either of these companies.