Sign in with
Your question

my PC won't boot/post

Last response: in Systems
March 2, 2006 12:10:17 PM

hi there, i just finished building my PC and it won't boot up or post and there is nothing on the monitor. the monitor light is orange meaning there is no signal going to it. if i unplug the monitor, then the light turns green. i plug it back in, it turns orange again. here's are my components.

motherboard: Asus A8N32-SLI deluxe
cpu: AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+
video card: evga 7800GT CO (pcie) - comes with digital to analog adapter
monitor: Viewsonic GF775 (analoge)
memory: OCZ 2gb
PSU: Enermax Liberty 620W
case: Antec P-180
HDD: 1 sata, 1 IDE
CDrom: IDE

I have plugged in the 20+4 pin power connector from the PSU into the motherboard. the PSU has a seperate 12V 4pin cable that i plugged into the motherboard which i think is for the CPU. I also plugged in the PCIE power cable from the PSU into my video card. when i turn on the power, all the fans turn on (psu fan, cpu fan, case fan, video card fan). i hear no beeps cause i don't think the case has a speaker. i'm not sure if the mobo has a little speaker on it. heeeeelllllllpppppppppp :?

More about : boot post

March 2, 2006 12:45:11 PM

Ouch! Off hand I am inclined to say CPU since you don't know if it beeps or not. You should be able to find a cheap case speaker at any mom and pop computer to find out though, that's defintiely very helpful.

First thing you can try though is just one stick of RAM if you have two. Then maybe swap out the video card if you have another.

Did you put the power supply in with fan up or down BTW?
March 2, 2006 12:46:26 PM

psu fan is pointing up. why do you ask?

Quote:
Ouch! Off hand I am inclined to say CPU since you don't know if it beeps or not. You should be able to find a cheap case speaker at any mom and pop computer to find out though, that's defintiely very helpful.

First thing you can try though is just one stick of RAM if you have two. Then maybe swap out the video card if you have another.

Did you put the power supply in with fan up or down BTW?
Related resources
March 2, 2006 12:54:08 PM

Just because you were asking which way it should be your P-180 case! :p 

Quote:
psu fan is pointing up. why do you ask?
March 2, 2006 1:21:43 PM

That motherboard has a speaker built in.

What I would try is removing the videocard. Then start it up. There is no buit -in video on your motherboard right?

Now boot up. You should definitely get some beeps. Should be long evenly spaced beeps.

If not, re-check all the power connections, make sure the CPU is inserted correctly.

Post back here if you need more help.
March 2, 2006 1:24:22 PM

I have a couple of ideas.

The pc could be doing 1 of 2 things:

1. Failing to post (Asus motherboards will provide no video output when there is a problem with timings between memory and rest of the system - I've had this problem with many ASUS motherboards in the past)

2. There is a problem with the video card

It would help if you were to get a pc speaker like Flyguy suggested. That would help to narrow the field down.

In the meantime, you could try with just 1 stick of ram to see if it will boot.

Just out of interest, did you put the 2 memory modules into the same coloured slots ?

Unfortunately, OCZ memory is not on the Qualified Vendor List. This is not to say it's not good memory - it is excellent memory. However, it hasn't been tested and approved to work with that motherboard.

If you can get it to boot with just 1 stick of memory, you can get into BIOS and relax the memory timings.
March 2, 2006 1:28:45 PM

yes i put the memory in the same colored slots.

Quote:
I have a couple of ideas.

The pc could be doing 1 of 2 things:

1. Failing to post (Asus motherboards will provide no video output when there is a problem with timings between memory and rest of the system - I've had this problem with many ASUS motherboards in the past)

2. There is a problem with the video card

It would help if you were to get a pc speaker like Flyguy suggested. That would help to narrow the field down.

In the meantime, you could try with just 1 stick of ram to see if it will boot.

Just out of interest, did you put the 2 memory modules into the same coloured slots ?

Unfortunately, OCZ memory is not on the Qualified Vendor List. This is not to say it's not good memory - it is excellent memory. However, it hasn't been tested and approved to work with that motherboard.

If you can get it to boot with just 1 stick of memory, you can get into BIOS and relax the memory timings.
March 2, 2006 1:29:22 PM

you said there is a pc speaker on that motherboard and someone else said there isn't. if there is, where is it exactly?

Quote:
That motherboard has a speaker built in.

What I would try is removing the videocard. Then start it up. There is no buit -in video on your motherboard right?

Now boot up. You should definitely get some beeps. Should be long evenly spaced beeps.

If not, re-check all the power connections, make sure the CPU is inserted correctly.

Post back here if you need more help.
March 2, 2006 1:30:16 PM

ok, so it's running in dual, which is more sensitive and therefore more prone to errors.

Try with 1 module only and see if you can get a video output and POST.
March 2, 2006 2:33:29 PM

I can't believe no one has told you to clear your CMOS yet man. On most newer motherboards, you have a jumper that is usually in the 1-2 position out of a possible 3 pins. If you read the manual for your motherboard, it should point you in the right direction. Usually it is right by the battery for your motherboard.

Unplug the power cable. You will move the jumper to the 2-3 position. Power the system on. You won't have any video at all. Leave it on for about 30sec-1min. Power the system off. Unplug the power cable.

Move the jumper back to the 1-2 position. Plug the power cable back in. Power your system on. And bam! you should have video and your pc should post.

If this doesnt work, try swapping out parts one at a time if you know anyone with a similar system. Most likely a mobo/pwr supply problem.

GOOD LUCK. :o 
March 2, 2006 2:38:51 PM

i've already tried clearing the cmos. but it was alot simpler to do than what you just described. maybe i should try all that anyways.

Quote:
I can't believe no one has told you to clear your CMOS yet man. On most newer motherboards, you have a jumper that is usually in the 1-2 position out of a possible 3 pins. If you read the manual for your motherboard, it should point you in the right direction. Usually it is right by the battery for your motherboard.

Unplug the power cable. You will move the jumper to the 2-3 position. Power the system on. You won't have any video at all. Leave it on for about 30sec-1min. Power the system off. Unplug the power cable.

Move the jumper back to the 1-2 position. Plug the power cable back in. Power your system on. And bam! you should have video and your pc should post.

If this doesnt work, try swapping out parts one at a time if you know anyone with a similar system. Most likely a mobo/pwr supply problem.

GOOD LUCK. :o 
March 2, 2006 2:46:17 PM

Well how did you do a clear cmos then? Sure doesn't sound like you would have done it right then.... :?:

Well lemme know. You don't have any other components you can use to figure out which part is bad?
March 2, 2006 2:52:59 PM

i moved the jumper to the 2-3 position, removed the battery, waited 10 seconds, moved the jumper back to the 1-2 position, put battery back in.
is that right?

Quote:
Well how did you do a clear cmos then? Sure doesn't sound like you would have done it right then.... :?:

Well lemme know. You don't have any other components you can use to figure out which part is bad?
March 2, 2006 4:52:54 PM

Did you manage to get the system to boot ?
March 2, 2006 4:54:08 PM

nope :( 

Quote:
Did you manage to get the system to boot ?
March 2, 2006 4:56:53 PM

Did you try with just 1 memory module installed ?
March 2, 2006 5:03:59 PM

not yet. i'll try that when i get home. i'll also try putting in a pci video card. do you use msn? if so, what's your email?
March 2, 2006 5:09:26 PM

I don't have msn atm, but I could create an account if you need online help. Send me a PM here when you get home if you like, and I'll set one up.
March 2, 2006 5:55:01 PM

Just double checking:
You have the motherboard connected to all the power connectors, right?
You have the videocard connected to it's power adapter right?
One of those might not be getting enough power.

If you have that 4 pin MOLEX connector (like a HDD/CD ROM connector) connected to the motherboard, right by the 24 pin ATX power connector, slot that could be the problem. That connector is for PCI-E video cards that do not have their own power connection like yours does.

If the above conditions are met, try this:

Eliminate as many problems as possible. As I said in your other thread, I had the same problem and it was an IDE problem with the way I hooked up/jumpered the drives.

In any case, pull all the drives, one of the RAM DIMMS, and anything else you have attached to the motherboard. With just the motherboard, processor, one DIMM and a videocard, it should boot enough to bring up the BIOS (or atleast POST will give you an error). Then if it works, start connecting one thing at a time, booting after each one, until you find the problem.

In the case like this it's hopefully something silly, like two drives set to master, rather then a bad CPU, motherboard, RAM or something.
March 2, 2006 6:05:47 PM

Yes
Yes
its possible but how? the psu is a recent model.
the 4pin molex connector is not needed in my case. i only have 1 video card and even if i had 2, the psu has 2 connectors for sli.

i've use the machine with out any HDDs and no cdrom. and i even tried it without the video card but no beeps. but now i realize maybe there is a beep but i can't hear it case the damn case has no speaker. tonight i'll try another pci video card, one memory module, no IDE/sata devices.
should i unplug the keyboard and mouse to?

Quote:
Just double checking:

If you have that 4 pin MOLEX connector (like a HDD/CD ROM connector) connected to the motherboard right by the PCI-E slot that could be the problem. That connector is for PCI-E video cards that do not have their own power connection like yours does.

If the above conditions are met, try this:

Eliminate as many problems as possible. As I said in your other thread, I had the same problem and it was an IDE problem with the way I hooked up/jumpered the drives.

In any case, pull all the drives, one of the RAM DIMMS, and anything else you have attached to the motherboard. With just the motherboard, processor, one DIMM and a videocard, it should boot enough to bring up the BIOS (or atleast POST will give you an error). Then if it works, start connecting one thing at a time, booting after each one, until you find the problem.

In the case like this it's hopefully something silly, like two drives set to master, rather then a bad CPU, motherboard, RAM or something.
March 2, 2006 6:05:54 PM

There's also the slim possiblity that the bios version is older than 0703 which is the minimum for your x2 cpu. I think there's a label on the bios itself that tells you what version it came with. let us know.
March 2, 2006 6:06:50 PM

good eye. i'll look into that.

Quote:
There's also the slim possiblity that the bios version is older than 0703 which is the minimum for your x2 cpu. I think there's a label on the bios itself that tells you what version it came with. let us know.
March 2, 2006 6:16:55 PM

One of those would not be getting enough power if one of the extra power connectors was not connected. So they are connected, that's not the problem. I was asking if the MOLEX connector was connected because if it was, that might have been the problem when running a video card with it's own power.

The BIOS should be X2 ready, this is the top of the line, brand spankin' new, ASUS motherboard.

The motherboard might be DOA. If the motherboard was good and the RAM, CPU or video card was bad, it should give you POST error codes.
March 2, 2006 7:01:52 PM

Quote:

The BIOS should be X2 ready, this is the top of the line, brand spankin' new, ASUS motherboard.

Yea it's brand new out of the box, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been sitting around in some warehouse. I looked on asus' website to offer him advice regarding the bios. it is totally possible that it has an older bios version, see for yourself:Support.asus.com

if his mobo came new out of the box with 0502 it probably wouldn't boot....so don't get me started.
March 2, 2006 7:31:41 PM

i have a picture of a a8n32-sli deluxe and it says rev 1.01. but that doesn't look like the bios version. bios version is in a different format.
for example 0703.

Quote:

Yea it's brand new out of the box, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been sitting around in some warehouse. I looked on asus' website to offer him advice regarding the bios. it is totally possible that it has an older bios version, see for yourself:Support.asus.com

if his mobo came new out of the box with 0502 it probably wouldn't boot....so don't get me started.
March 2, 2006 7:40:59 PM

do you hear the hd spinning? or if you have a floppy drive install, do you hear it trying to boot from the floppy?
if not then check you cables and re seat everything
also stupid thing, but since it's a SLI motherboard, make sure your video card is in the right slot and that SLI is turned off.
March 2, 2006 7:56:08 PM

the HDD and cdrom make noise that they are turned on, but the HDD is blank. i even had an OS CD in the cdrom drive and it didn't sound like it was trying to boot from it. but that could just be that the cdrom is not in the boot priority. i don't have a FDD but i can get it from my old PC. and i only have one video card but i can put it in either slot. to enable or disable the sli, you do it in the bios or in the OS. and i can't get into either right now.

Quote:
do you hear the hd spinning? or if you have a floppy drive install, do you hear it trying to boot from the floppy?
if not then check you cables and re seat everything
also stupid thing, but since it's a SLI motherboard, make sure your video card is in the right slot and that SLI is turned off.
March 2, 2006 8:09:33 PM

SixBone:
It's hard to imagine that the BIOS would not be X2 compliant as this motherboard came out long after the release of the X2s. You could be right, it is a slim possibility that it has an old BIOS but, as you stated, visual inspection should tell us that.

velocci:
If the drives are coming on, you need to start eliminating variables.
Try booting with the most basic hardware configuration possible.
Even without a boot disk or CD, or any drive attached for that matter, it should still boot with the BIOS.

Try that other video card tonight, and keep the keyboard hooked up as some motherboards won't boot without a keyboard.
March 2, 2006 8:11:15 PM

Quote:
the HDD and cdrom make noise that they are turned on, but the HDD is blank. i even had an OS CD in the cdrom drive and it didn't sound like it was trying to boot from it. but that could just be that the cdrom is not in the boot priority. i don't have a FDD but i can get it from my old PC. and i only have one video card but i can put it in either slot. to enable or disable the sli, you do it in the bios or in the OS. and i can't get into either right now.

did you cross post serveral different questions about this and left out key information in each?
i noticed that you mentioned you didnt plugged in the cpu power for you x2 here: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=176861&highlight= and about powering it with a analog monitor in another http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=176846&highlight= and a few other pages. you might want to keep to one forum and include all your answers there. it'll save people time and you wont get repeat answers and the people who answer will have the full story.

either way, this is my guess, but you might have burnt out the cpu (or maybe the motherboard when the cpu didnt get enough power) since you didnt plug in the cpu power to the motherboard and you have a 3800 x2 which will require a decent amount of power to run. just my guess though
March 2, 2006 8:12:14 PM

by the way, i have an ooooooold AT keyboard but i use an adapter that will let me plug it into the ps/2 port. could that be the problem you think?
this keyboard actually came with my 386 machine years back. :lol: 
March 2, 2006 8:17:20 PM

Ehh, it's a longshot, but, yeah try another keyboard. You can get a nice new one with lots of hotkeys for like $10-$20 these days.
March 2, 2006 8:20:04 PM

yes definite long shot. it shouldnt prevent the pc from booting. it should just prompt an error on the POST screen saying no keyboard found hit F1 to continue (i find that funny every time)
im even more surprised you spend alot on some things (case, cpu, gpu), and reuse crap on other (keyboard, monitor).... but that's just me....
March 2, 2006 8:22:22 PM

You never know, but I doubt it because it would POST and just give you a keyboard error. However it might be worth trying a different keyboard.

Edit: Arrgghh!! You guys beat me!!!
March 2, 2006 8:22:39 PM

i just never bothered buying a keyboard. i didn't buy a monitor cause i had a budget and i wanted to put all my money towards the computer itself. besides, i want to wait untill the widescreens are cheeper. :p 
March 2, 2006 8:42:27 PM

Have you tried changing the CPU? See what happens.
March 2, 2006 8:42:40 PM

Do you have a friend with a similar working computer? (ie socket 939 + PCI-E)

You could test components in that one until you find the problem.
March 2, 2006 8:51:50 PM

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=Asus+A8N-SLI+power+issue

one interesting article:
http://www.pctechtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=146850#post146850

Quote:
EDIT it's working now ... who knew that Enermax would not align the pins properly on the V2 power supply.. nothing a quick turn didn't fix .. lol

(for those who search this and have the same problem .. look at those crappy PSUs that ship with typical cases .. line up the 4 pin adapter so the colors match .. like if orange in the bottom right; line up the same way) .. GRRRRRRR ENERMAX!!

(not liable for any issues you might do because of this site....)
my recommendation, buy a High Quality PSU instead.......
March 3, 2006 12:26:45 AM

well, if you see 0703 somewhere on the mobo, then you probaly have at least that version. so unfortunately you have a bad piece of hardware. could be cpu or mobo.
March 3, 2006 2:33:55 PM

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!! MY PC WORKS NOW. the problem is that one of my memory modules is bad. thanks to all you guys for your help and suggestions. i really appreciate it! :D 
March 3, 2006 3:15:21 PM

Awesome, that is great news! I believe it was me that first suggested you try one module at a time?!? :D 

Quote:
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!! MY PC WORKS NOW. the problem is that one of my memory modules is bad. thanks to all you guys for your help and suggestions. i really appreciate it! :D 
!