enabling SLI on A8N32-sli deluxe

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
hi there, the manual doesn't say anything about how to enable or disable SLI on the motherboard. anyone know how to do it?

mpjesse

Splendid
It's done one of 2 ways:

1. In the bios
2. In windows using the AI Selector utility that comes w/ the mobo driver CD.

Either way works fine. I personally like the windows utility that Asus made.

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
For this mobo, the only thing you need to do in BIOS is check that the PEG link mode is not disabled. This can be either auto or normal (most ppl recommend normal rather than auto I think). Fast and faster are more risky.

Other than that, there's nothing in bios to specifically enable/disable SLi for this board. Neither are there any jumpers on the motherboard that are required to be set.

The AI Selector utility is not supplied with this board, and the AI Booster utility has no settings specific to SLi.

In fact, all I did when I was setting my SLi up was to install the cards with the link cable and then boot up. After installation of the nVidia drivers, the system recognises the 2 cards, and you can activate directly in the nVidia control panel.

It does seem strange that the manual doesn't explicitly mention anything on this. I can only guess it's because there's nothing to do.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
so i guess you have the same board as me then. what PSU and case do you have?

For this mobo, the only thing you need to do in BIOS is check that the PEG link mode is not disabled. This can be either auto or normal (most ppl recommend normal rather than auto I think). Fast and faster are more risky.

Other than that, there's nothing in bios to specifically enable/disable SLi for this board. Neither are there any jumpers on the motherboard that are required to be set.

The AI Selector utility is not supplied with this board, and the AI Booster utility has no settings specific to SLi.

In fact, all I did when I was setting my SLi up was to install the cards with the link cable and then boot up. After installation of the nVidia drivers, the system recognises the 2 cards, and you can activate directly in the nVidia control panel.

It does seem strange that the manual doesn't explicitly mention anything on this. I can only guess it's because there's nothing to do.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
lets say in the bios the sli is enabled but i only plug in 1 video card. should i still see something on the screen right after i turn on the power?

It's done one of 2 ways:

1. In the bios
2. In windows using the AI Selector utility that comes w/ the mobo driver CD.

Either way works fine. I personally like the windows utility that Asus made.

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Yep - that's how I can answer most of your questions :p

My rig:

Coolermaster Stacker (original version)
Tagan TG580-U15 580W 'Easycon'
ASUS A8N32-SLi Deluxe
FX-55 Clawhammer
2x1GB Corsair TwinX 3500LL Pro
XFX 7800 GTX Extreme XXX (490MHz)
X-Fi ExtremeMusic
4xWD740 'Raptor'
Plextor PX-716A DVD-RW
Logitech Z-5450 5:1 speakers
WinXP Pro SP2

Waiting for a new HSF and Opteron 170.

You probably won't have to do anything. After you install both your cards and update the drivers for them, right click on screen, go to properties, settings, advanced, click on nvidia 7800 or whatever...up top.... the selection for sli should be there somewhere.on the screen in front of you. If it doesn't show on first screen, open a couple of things using the window that pops up to the left. If you have to go to the left popup screen, select whatever is at the top first, I think it's there.........

I have one of these boards. In the bios there are 2 things relating to sli. They look very similar, and I didn't touch them at all while building machine.