Durable PC for Child

eviltechie

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I'm considering turning one of my old PCs into a system for my son to learn on. He can already run my CD-changer stereo system, the satellite tv system, and the remotes. So, I figure it's time for a PC. But I need it to be durable and kid-proof, as he is still to young to understand that electronics can be fragile.

Here's what I'm thinking. I'll take a PIII processor, 512MB of memory, and CD-ROM from my old system and get a new basic mobo with audio, video, and lan onboard and put all that in a new small aluminum case. I'll use a 4GB compact flash card and IDE adaptor for the hard drive (and possibly another one for storage). Then I'll put rubber molding along the case edges and mesh grills over the fans, and maybe plastic ducts for the airflow to make it harder to spill something directly into the system. I'll probably use a TV adaptor so he can use the TV as his monitor.

Anyone ever tried this? Got any tips?

eviltechie

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I just looked-up some prices, and it appears I could get what I need to build this type of thing for about $280.

The specs:

[*:a892175c69]Motherboard: Refurb. Socket 370 with audio and video
[*:a892175c69]CPU: Pentium III 1GHz
[*:a892175c69]Memory: 512MB PC100
[*:a892175c69]Hard Drive: 4GB Compact Flash + IDE Adaptor
[*:a892175c69]Peripherals: Generic KB, mouse, and speakers
[*:a892175c69]Case: Micro Desktop ATX

baddog1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Using a tv will quickly get frustrating. I used a 27" hi-def crt for my daughter's arcade machine (with an athlon computer inside, with a geforce video card), and everyone complained about the picture. It actually works great for games, but anytime we need to actually read anything, it's awful. I've finally broken down and bought a her a large lcd monitor, and it's so different it's amazing. She can use her learning software on it now, not just play games. Before, she could only use them on my or my wife's computers, which kind of killed the whole reason for her having her own computer. Well, mostly anyway. I mean I built it into a dead arcade machine for a reason. You may not have a couple hundred hours to put into it like I did, but oh well. Get a real monitor. You'll hate it if you don't.