Help with newly purchased PSU's not operating

tiger022321

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Hello, recently in the morning my computer was running loudly and I turned it off and left for class. When i came back from class, the computer didnt start up. There was no power. I kept restarting, nothing worked. So I bought a 520 Watt PSU from the same maker as the case: ASPIRE. My original one that I presumed to be dead was 350 Watt. It said it was compatible with AMD chips , of which i have the 64 3000+ along with the CHAINTECH VNF-230 Motherboard.

I installed that and connected all the wires to the optical drives, hard drive, and the 20 pin to the motherboard and the 4 pin to the motherboard as wel. Still no power to the computer when I press the power button in the front. I tried this with different electric outlets as well. Then i took the power supply out and plugged it into an outlet stand-alone since it had fans on it and im guessing the fans should turn on if the psu is plugged in just regularly into an outlet and nothing turns on. I got this from Newegg and returned it as defective. Next i order another PSU. ATRIX PSCI-500BLK ATX12V 500W Power Supply . It says its compatible with AMD 64 chips as well and it has all the regular connectors and computer still does not work. I am lost. I was thinking it might be motherboard, (I Hope not), because i voluntary turned off the computer and the inside never made a weird loud bang or something that would indicate it being fried. Any one have suggestions???

recreational_user

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Then i took the power supply out and plugged it into an outlet stand-alone since it had fans on it and im guessing the fans should turn on if the psu is plugged in just regularly into an outlet and nothing turns on.

This is not correct. The power supply doesn't turn on until the motherboard tells it to.
You do have the switch on the power supply turned on, right? Als make sure that the voltage is set correctly for wherever you are (120V vs 240V).
When you plug the PS into the Mobo, and plug the PS into the wall, you can often see some kind of LED on the mobo light up (not sure if yours does), indicating that the board has power. Or, if you have the power supply on and power to the mobo and plug in an ethernet cable, you will often be able to see the activity lights.
Is the power button on the front of the computer connected to the right spot on the motherboard?
Unless you made a mistake of some kind, I am doubting it is your power supply if you have tried three now and none of them work. It may be that some component is not seated correctly, but first let us know if you get any signs of life from the motherboard.

Sekeru

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
My friend had the same problem just a little different.But anyway the problem was that the connector from the mobo too the psu was fried so that might be it.Either way i believe it is the mobo not the psu.

tiger022321

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
My previoius V was at 115, which is what its set it now and the power supply unit switch is turned on b4 hitting power up on the case. However, just recently, I tried to power up again with everythiing connected properly: PSU to MOBO (both connections, 20 pin and the 4 pin one), CASE power button to motherboard and all the power units from the PSU to optical drives , hard drives, etc. When i hit the Power button, the PSU turns on and the fan on the CPU starts spinning for about 1 secondish before dying out.

Well, I will try to connect the ethernet cable if that does anything, im almost fresh out of ideas. Unless, would cleaning the motherboard with all the dust that I can see lodged in it affect this process because i see many dust particles gaterhing up in certain places. Is there a special thing to clean that off, i dont wanna start using my fingers and start scrapin at the mobo to get the dust off.

Thanks again.

Sekeru

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
My previoius V was at 115, which is what its set it now and the power supply unit switch is turned on b4 hitting power up on the case. However, just recently, I tried to power up again with everythiing connected properly: PSU to MOBO (both connections, 20 pin and the 4 pin one), CASE power button to motherboard and all the power units from the PSU to optical drives , hard drives, etc. When i hit the Power button, the PSU turns on and the fan on the CPU starts spinning for about 1 secondish before dying out.

Well, I will try to connect the ethernet cable if that does anything, im almost fresh out of ideas. Unless, would cleaning the motherboard with all the dust that I can see lodged in it affect this process because i see many dust particles gaterhing up in certain places. Is there a special thing to clean that off, i dont wanna start using my fingers and start scrapin at the mobo to get the dust off.

Thanks again.
hopefully your motherboard is still under warranty because i believe you will need another one.Cause what you just mentioned about the cpu fan turnig on for a sec is the same exact thing that happened to my friends comp.So my friend got another mobo and it started up just fine.So that is what i think you will have to do.Unless anyone else on toms has any more ideas.

tiger022321

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
If i do get another one, say the same exact one: CHAINTECH VNF-250 , Do i also have to buy another CPU, or can i take out the CPU from this motherboard and put it ont he new motherboard, if it comes down to this?

recreational_user

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
You probably do need a new motherboard. You can reuse all of your components, such as memory and CPU, although if you end up with a different motherboard you may have to reinstall windows or do a repair installation.

The thing with the ethernet cable was just to see if you are getting power. If the fans spun up for a second, you apparently are.

If you haven't done it before, make sure you read the directions that come with you motherboard for moving the CPU to the new one, and get a good thermal grease (Arctic Silver 5). I think there are some good how-to's on the internet, if you can get online with another computer.

Just curious, are any of the big capacitors (those cylinders in various places on the motherboard) bulging or have a brown residue on them?

tiger022321

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
THe cylinders are a small amount of brown residue, but it was just dust. So yea, i tried everything i can think of, new power supplies, connecting to different outlets, nothing works. Its hard to believe cuz its so strange for it to not be working, i mean the computer didnt just shut down randomly or something. I just turned it off one morning and then it never turned back on again. So weird Thanks anyway. Looks like i'll be lookin to buy a new CHAINTECH VNF-250 with nforce3, which is a bit outdated, i wonder if i should just get the new one that have nforce 4, but that will prolly not fit in the case or somethiing random will happen for it to not work.

Sekeru

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
If you can, i recomend going with a new setup if you can afford it.I mean there is nothing wrong with your mobo but it might be a good idea if you do have the cash to do an upgrade.And if you do decide to get a new setup i could give you some suggestions and most everyone on toms could give you suggestions.
P.S if you were to start a new thread asking on suggestions for pc parts at a limited budget you would get tons of ideas from people.Might be something to think about.

tiger022321

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
True.. but the rusher that I am, i already ordered a replacement VNF-250. My other parts of the computer are fine i think. THe CPU price however is decreased dramatically to the point where my current CPU the Athlon 64 3000+ would be fine enough. I'm more focused on the mobo and keeping the temperature down. Hopefully the replacement mobo works if it doesnt then it might be the connection from the power button of the case to the motherboard, which would mean i would have to buy another case, which makes this even more costly and annoying. Not having a computer in college is tough, even though theres much more worse things in life, no computer just feels weird.

RocketRobin

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
You should check your front panel connections to ensure the power switch is operational.
You can test the PSU for power by activating it with a jumper wire. Pull out the motherboard 24 (20) pin connector and jump the green wire to ground (any black wire). The PSU should immediately activate.
If it doesn't, then the PSU is hatched.
If it does, then it's likely the motherboard is baked.
Notes:
If a PSU suffers a catastrophic failure, it may fry the VRM on the motherboad. If the VRM is done and you connect a new PSU, then the PSU will detect a short and will not activate.
If a PSU has detected a short, it will not activate until it has been reset. To reset the PSU you must disengage the mains (AC cord) from the PSU.

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
...If a PSU suffers a catastrophic failure, it may fry the VRM on the motherboad. If the VRM is done and you connect a new PSU, then the PSU will detect a short and will not activate.
If a PSU has detected a short, it will not activate until it has been reset. To reset the PSU you must disengage the mains (AC cord) from the PSU.

once i had a short in one of my systems and the PSU just wouldn't start. You'd have to reset it by killing power at the wall, although it was a dead fan not the VRM.

another time more recently i had spent a lenthy night of BF2 on a recently built machine to burn it in, then shut it down straight away. i tried switching it on the next morning and the PSU had carked it.

tiger022321

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
So this sucks. I order a new motherboard, do everything i need to do. transfer cpu over. Connect everything back in and still doesnt work, even less then before, so i got angry and destroyed the front connection to the motherboard, so i basically forced myself into buyin a new case cuz im pretty sure that was the problem before. But then again this new power supply didnt do anything, no lighting up or fan turning on. So my decision comes down to spending more money for a case which may or may not fix this annoying and expensive problem or building a new machine, CPU, mobo, case or option c which is what im leaning towards, finding a very cheap barebone computer with all the stuff already connected, so i dont have to do anything, but i cant find a good site to buy like a motherboard with a cpu already connected thats already put in a case. I cant buy a DELL because of the jacked up prices with the included peripherals. THanks again for help. Computers so frustrating.