Witch Monitor to chose?

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
i was the same as u a few days ago... i wanted to upgrade my old 17 inch dying crt.. i went to compusa wanting to buy a viewsonic crt, went home with a viewsonic lcd, id say unless u want the huge screen id go with an lcd, there much smaller and the screen just feels a lot better when u look at it, especailly at 75hz...

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Yea, that Dell diamondtron does look nice, but do you think its worth half the real estate on your desk? Thats a pretty nice price for a monitor that size though.

zodiacboyscorp

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
Not what you asked, however I went home with the sweetest LCD monitor deal ever!
(for the price it can't be beat)

Office Depot

Save $120
After Mail-in Rebates on Hyundai 19" LCD Monitor $349.99-$120 Mail-in Rebate=$229.99 Shop Now

Ad Coupon

52530833 - $30 off purchas (I did the $40 one which has expired)

Price total currently - $199.99 before tax - free shipping.

It really is a sweet monitor, I was eyeing it before at Nebraska furniture mart but thought it was to pricey. Comparing it to the Viewsonic equivalents.

For more details check out the New Egg reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824179018

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
id say before u buy, go to a store to look at the actual monitor, i went out to buy the 17 inch crt viewsonic, saw it displayed at compusa... it looked kinda weird (ill explain later) so i looked around and found a viewsonic lcd for 279, so i got that, and im very happy with it... so i went home and read reviews on newegg about the viewsonic crt, and people had the same feelings as me... im not sure if this is factual or not but while the screen is flat, the innerworkings are of a nonflat crt, making it look very weird, kinda like a 3d bubble i guess... and it wasnt very crisp at all, i messed around with the setting for about 10 minutes and couldnt get it to look good... im not saying dont get a crt, if compusa had the samsung crt i woulda got that, im just saying if its possible go and test out the montior before u buy it, u dont wanna spend the 30 bux for shipping to find u dont like it...

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I understand what your saying. The screen on my viewsonic is flat, but the picture its self is a bubble. It took a lot of tweaking to get it right, but It is as flat as its going to get..

I did knotice one thing about viewsonic monitors, they have a Dot putch of .20 or .21 horizontal. Is that a big difference from a a .24 or .25?

Mine is .21 and have a hard time making out the pixels even close up and it is very clear.

I realy do want a monitor that will scale large resolutions and wont have a problem with high refreshrates. Once I get my new rig build, I plan to play my games at 20x15 @ 75hz. I can only imaginge how that looks!

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
playing at that res will be very hard to maintain decent frames, no matter what video card you have, fear will most likely be unplayable. id say unless ur hellbent on the 21 inch, go for a 19 inch lcd, i know you dont want an lcd but theres a lot of pros for them, there smaller, they no longer have the ghosting issues (as long as u get at least 10ms delay), the text looks much crisper... theres more but u get the idea. if u really dont want to drop the extra money on an lcd consider a 19inch crt that support 1600x1200 resolution. thats pretty much the highest resolution a videocard can give decent frames at (as long as u have a very powerful card)...

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I'm well aware of what current cards can do. I dont realy play FEAR that much for I do play HL2 and AmericasArmy. 20x15 in AA will give me a nice advantage for range shooting and such. It uses the same game engine from UT2004 so I am sure videocards can handle it 8)

I appreciate the suggestions, but CRT's are more bang for the $ and more reliable. I dont mind using an LCD, I just want maximum quality for $250 and CRT is the way to go. I have plenty of deskroom and I have no problems with the heat it puts out...

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
like i said i was the same way, i liked crt and didnt see why people liked lcd's better, but once i got my own and used it, it really is impressive how good the quality is, there bright and vivid, much sharper than my crt was, but if u buy a crt, or any monitor for that matter, just try to take it for a test drive before you buy it. you may be upset with the quality, and if you order one off newegg you dont want to lose 60 bux shipping it, so whichever you choose go to ur local computer store and see if they have any on display you can mess with, i cant really recommend a perticular one, but i know viewsonics are very nice (aside from the round tube on flat screen thing)... also gateway for some reason makes really nice monitors IMO, monitors are probably the only thing gateway does right. my advise it to steer clear from no name crap and get a decent brand name one, although ive never delt with a no name crt, usually no names offer little warrenty and use cheap parts to achieve lower prices...

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I'm looking at a Dell 22" Diamondtron an other Name Brand stuff.. So no worries there. Its not that I "dislike" LCD's, Its just that they are not for me. I have seen some nice ones out there, but not my style lol.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
id say get the dell.. i dont really know much about monitors, just make sure that it has a decent refresh rate at the resolution ur gonan be using it at, lower refresh rates really strain ur eyes, plus 75+ looks crisper and brighter... i doubt any monitor will be able to run 75hz + at 20x15 or whatever ur gonna be using, so see which can run closest to that.. u may want to consider a lower res for higher refresh rates, it will look better and a lot crisper, and whats the point in spending money on a game if it doesnt look good

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Thats true. These Diamondtrons and high end Trinitrons push 75 - 80hz at 20x15. I can live with 70hz no problem. I will probably do most of my gaming in 1600x1200. It should look sweet then!

After I get that Dell, maybe a projector and 200" screen! HAHAHA! Can we say "HEAD SHOT!"

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
lol well usually resolution doesnt mean that u can see further thats usually a setting in the graphics... ill say that wth a higher resolution more pixels are on the rendering of the person so the hit box might be more accurate.. but 20x15 resolution will probably be just as good as 16x12...

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Picture this. You enemy is prone to the side of a tree in the distance fog. Would it better to have his small figure render as 7 pixels instad of 3 or 5? It helps with the clarity, making long range shooting easyer.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
in most games u cant see that far anyways, 7 pixels at 20x15 is insanly small and ull pretty much not be able to see it, thats like finding waldo. and noone can do that

GreenDragon

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
I have that monitor. Compaq1220. It is sensational. Little bit cheaper on E bay shipped but can't be beat for that price range. Yes it is big but so what! Set it & forget it.
Just a great monitor for gaming or whatever.

Bob F

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I have and LCD I love but was quite a bit of money...for 237 I would definately go with the Dell...or an NEC if you have the space on the desk do it. I have an NEC I bought a couple of years ago and I love this monitor. But it is definately not for moving around alot as it will most definately put a strain on your back...

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Not what you asked, however I went home with the sweetest LCD monitor deal ever!
(for the price it can't be beat)

Office Depot

Save $120
After Mail-in Rebates on Hyundai 19" LCD Monitor $349.99-$120 Mail-in Rebate=$229.99 Shop Now

Ad Coupon

52530833 - $30 off purchas (I did the $40 one which has expired)

Price total currently - $199.99 before tax - free shipping.

It really is a sweet monitor, I was eyeing it before at Nebraska furniture mart but thought it was to pricey. Comparing it to the Viewsonic equivalents.

For more details check out the New Egg reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824179018

Do not get this monitor....I have had one and its a piece of shite.....the colors are all whacked out......... imho......plus came with 3 dead pixels. If I were you I would definately get a CRT for gaming unless you have more money then I would get a Dell LCD also......imo sorry for double post...

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
in most games u cant see that far anyways, 7 pixels at 20x15 is insanly small and ull pretty much not be able to see it, thats like finding waldo. and noone can do that

lol, but it can be a matter of life and death! PLus I have good eyes!