Fan problem with A8N-SLI Deluxe (NOT SOLVED!)

RTsa

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
My chip fan on an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard speeds up to its maximum RPM and after a while (a few mins) it shoots down to 1000 or so RPM. From there it accelerates again and comes down. I'm a bit worried about how 'healthy' it is to the fan. I'm also irritated by the sound it makes when the RPM comes down so quick.

Here's a screenie from Asus Probe showing the situation:
chipsetfangoesupanddown2zl.jpg

Now, I don't have problems with the temperature on the chip. It's very stable at 36 degrees Celsius when idle and under stress it may rise a degree or two. But the fan still does the jumping when under stress.

What I'd want, is a way to at least make that jumping stop. What I'd really like is to set that fan speed to 1000RPM or something like that. And only make it come up when the temperature actually does rise.

Here's a picture of the temperature monitor as well, though it doesn't really matter:

temperaturestaysstable3dy.jpg

Can anyone help? What should I do? :?

bazza

Distinguished
May 9, 2004
is your chipset fan the old type, ie the small square one

the new one is much bigger and is angled 45degrees

new one is much quieter because the fan is bigger

ask asus how to get hold of one

RTsa

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
That didn't really answer my question, though thanks for the info. I checked it and it is most likely the old one. I might consider replacing it with a new one.

FACEBASH

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I have owned an A8N-SLI Deluxe board for 14 months or so now.. and its on its 4th southbridge fan... sadly.. its a failing common to the model and very poor design given the heat these suckers generate..
So far the longest lasting has been a coolermaster which i simply screwed right to the top of the sink.. fergit the size.. its around 1 inch in diameter.. its fan number 4 and on its 3rd month.. we will see... lol