Sign in with
Your question

What did you think about the A8R32 Review? Shabby?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 2, 2006 7:54:17 PM

Sorry if i offend the author on this one, but... This artical was terrible. The use of low end cards dont show me the true performance of the new product.
On page 12 you tell us that you are using 4 different video cards:
1: MSI RX1900 Series
2: ASUS EAX1600XT Silent
3: Sapphire Radeon X1600XT
4: 2x ASUS EN6600GT
Pages 18-19 you are using the cards : 6600GT and the 1600XT... ok thats nice but which ones? And where was the x1900XT during all of this? And during the overclocking you used the 7800GTX, why not during the previous benchmarks?
Also During overclocking you show us DDR-XXX but what about the CPU multiplier? Did you lower it? keep it in 1:1 ratio? So are u saying that overclocking is only going to get me 1-2FPS difference? This is a serious a lack of information.
I was considering buys this board but i dont know how it holds up with a x1900XT single card or Crossfire, compared to the A8N32 using a single 7800GTX OR a 7800GTX 512. Your using old components with new boards. These results show nothing useful to enthusiasts. Also Overclocking RAM shows more performance increase than that! otherwise people wouldnt spend an extra 40-80 $'s on performance RAM. I was looking forward to reading this review and hoping that ATI finally manged to beat NVIDIA with a combonation between the x1900 series and nvidias 7800GTX series... but no... I was severely dissapointed. Mabey this review was even biased toward Nvidia. Do u dislike ATI?
And now as im reviewing I notice that on the pages 18 and 19 you show a percent increase of permormance. Ok well thats cool... but which is giving me more FPS? Is the x1600 delivering more FPS in single card and dual? Is it showing less FPS?
Overall this review showed me nothing of value. It was horrible. If you people want a better review head on over to here:

http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2697

Not 100% of what i wanted to see but better than this sad excuse for a mobo review...

More about : a8r32 review shabby

March 3, 2006 4:25:30 AM

What? No one is going to say anything? Do you agree? Disagree? Cmon people post your thoughts!
March 3, 2006 4:35:19 AM

this has got to be THEE worst review in history and seems a little bias towards sli

dude, and then they even mention the wrong south bridge!!! WTF i thought i read 450 or 480, pffft

if they want to narrow it down and isolate the performance of a chipset, they ought to use the same of everything 1 damn thing on each board to compare, cmon, it was like a reading word salad with that article

as i wrote this reply, i am reading a review on it here: Bit-Tech.net
Related resources
March 4, 2006 7:27:29 AM

Well i have to say i was kinda dissapointed when i read the THG RD580 review. Which kinda was the opposite of the other 3 reviews i read at anandtech, firingsquad and bit-tech o.0

btw, I still bought the ASUS A8R32-MVP tho, coming in next monday.. I'll be trying it out with teh Opteron 170 @_@
March 4, 2006 6:20:04 PM

SWEET. You have to tell me how it overclocks! Because THG didnt do a good job on that...
March 4, 2006 7:39:25 PM

I agree, I was kinda thinking the new chip was nothing good at all reading the toms review. I then read the anandtech article and it could not be more the opposite of toms if it tried.

Im siding with anandtech on this one there review is much better.
March 4, 2006 8:32:09 PM

well I read the Anantex review on the A8r-mvp when it first came out and the review was very extencive going right into overclocking with all the do's and dont's wich conviced me to try and purchace the mobo to try the crossfire experience
aparently alot of people bought this mobo but didnt reserch it properly and tried to oc it and came into greef and ended up putting bad reviews up onn sites
So when the new board came out the A8r32-mvp Anantex did the same extensive review but on both the boards at the same time to show that the old one although useing not the high end parts still oc extreemly well
so you see anantec had alll the baces covered in both aticles
And i believe that if tom did the same it would be like a mirror and then people would be saying tom was trying to out do anantex or viceversa

I have ordered the old version A8r-mvp and have been waiting on it for weeks now and will oc it with my Opty 180
by the time the A8r32-mvp gets released in Australia around June /july i would have had the time to fiddle ocing and i will upgrade mobo and send the A8r-mvp to my second comp
I think both boards are excelent from what i have read :-)
have fun building
Gazza :lol:  :D 
March 4, 2006 9:04:15 PM

Quote:
SWEET. You have to tell me how it overclocks! Because THG didnt do a good job on that...

I'm building a complete new rig, Opty 170 will be in tuesday same as the A8R32-MVP, the other component will be sent on 10-3-06.. and still hoping my dell 2405 WFP will be in by then >.<

Dunno how it will OC tho, gonna use Corsair TWINX2048-4000PT 2048 MB, just price/performance mem. Supposed to go around 290MHZ according anandtech, hope i'll achieve something near that aswell.
March 4, 2006 10:08:45 PM

A8R32 is way overpriced. THG and others say a price that is between A8N-SLI Deluxe and DFI-DR. Many places like newegg has price over $200 and zipzoomfly as $273.

Asrock as dual 939SLI32 which has dual x16 and esataII for $84. So far that has been pretty good and cost way less than A8N32 and MSI's Diamond Plus.
March 5, 2006 2:19:09 AM

I have an A8R-MVP with my Opty 175 and it will overclock it to 2680 with an occasional error, but competely stable at around 2585MHz, so I run it at regularly at 2420MHz.

I plan on getting the A8R32-MVP in a few weeks, and I have an oppurtunity to build a rig for a friend who wants my old one.

The A8R32-MVP seems to be the best overclockable 939 board period. And Mar 1, 2006 techPowerUp hit the world record performance bench of 19581 3DMarks05 using it and a single X1900XT!
March 9, 2006 3:28:54 PM

Quote:

I'm building a complete new rig, Opty 170 will be in tuesday same as the A8R32-MVP, the other component will be sent on 10-3-06.. and still hoping my dell 2405 WFP will be in by then >.<

Dunno how it will OC tho, gonna use Corsair TWINX2048-4000PT 2048 MB, just price/performance mem. Supposed to go around 290MHZ according anandtech, hope i'll achieve something near that aswell.

almost the same build, hah. I hope the bios issues get straightend out, all the way out...
March 13, 2006 5:34:36 PM

How is the board working out so far?
I'm planning on the same board and processor.
March 13, 2006 5:46:00 PM

Dunno I'm new with this..

I managed to set my opty at 2600 without any problems tho.. i got everything else on auto tho @_@
!