adding fans

gamerputer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2005
ya all i think im gonna get a zalman hsf to reduce the noise of my computer. but i have to remove the stuff left on the cpu by the thermaltake fan i have right now. So do i remove the hsf, take the CPU out of the socket, use soft rubber knife to remove thermal gel, use common rubbing alcohol (strong enough?) to clean the cpu, and then put on a little arctic silver? OR do i leave the CPU in the socket? Google doesn't seem to have the fine points on there so i thought i might ask.

thanks

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
I'm sorry, are you just replacing the fan, or the entire heatsink and fan combo?

Generally, if you're replacing (or temporarily removing) the entire heatsink and fan unit, then yes you have to completely remove any heat transfer material (be it a thermal pad or thermal compound) from the CPU die. I think Arctic Silver recommends using a 90%+ proof rubbing alcohol but I cannot remember. Check their website for application instructions.

If you're just replacing the fan, then just remove the old one and put the new one on.

this is the procedure i take

first, discharge your static aka touch the psu, both hands, while the computer is plugged in...always leave your machine plugged in while working on it.

take off heatsink (after unplugging fan) and set it aside.
if you're going to use the heatsink, then clean it off with alcohol.
i use q-tips with a dab of isopropyl alcohol to remove the bulk of the thermal grease, then finish the job with several clean alcohol soaked q-tips and a microscope check for cotton fibers afterward (13x)

replace the cpu
then apply your artic silver or w/e
add the new heatsink, and don't move it around alot (or at all.)
shoot for getting the heatsink on the first time

i don't know how good zalmans are, i only use Thermaltake
aka beastly Thermaltake Volcano 12 6700RPM
ALWAYS less than 35C AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 2500MHz

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Try to clean it with as close to pure alcohol as you can (about 90% or more is good). Or you can buy Arctic Silver's Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier for about $10 (shipping included) from Newegg. Zalman fans are pretty good from my experience (tho I only have a VGA cooler and it works great). The volcano hsf from TT sounds like, well, a VOLCANO. Zalman offers excellent cooling at a quiet level.

gamerputer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2005
I'm sorry, are you just replacing the fan, or the entire heatsink and fan combo?

Yes, im gonna change the entire HSF combo. The concern i have is that after taking the CPU out of the socket, where do i put it to prevent the pins from getting damaged? I bought the CPU OEM w/ installation so i don't have the box to put it in while i rub the thermal grease off. Can i just hold it in my hands???

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Do you have any anti-static bags lying around? If not, see if you can get some from a local computer shop. I would also STRONGLY suggest a grounding strap (properly grounded of course). You can get one pretty cheap at RadioShack. If you have the money, you could also spring for an anti-static grounding mat, but you can get by with just a bag too.

Minimize contact with the CPU as much as possible so make sure you have everything ready to go before you remove it. Handle the CPU by it's sides only.

You will not need to use force to remove the old thermal comound, just a gentle hand, q-tips, high quality rubbing alcohol, and patience.

Place the anti-static bag on a flat, sturdy surface. Place the CPU on top of the anti-static bag, holding on to it by it's side. Dampen (not dripping wet) a q-tip with alcohol, and start to gently brush away the old thermal material. Try to stay away from any exposed contacts on the top of the CPU. Remove ALL of the old material. Use as many clean q-tips as needed (they're cheap so use em).

Wait a few minutes for the alcohol to completely evaporate and follow Arctic Silver's instructions on applying Arctic Silver 5.