bfg graphics problem

BustedFlush

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Update:
finally got my setup working early this summer - maybe just bad luck, who knows? But now i've bought a new psu, new stick of ram, yadda yadda... and i've spent much $$$ to ship the cards for rma. At least its working though, right?

fedaykin

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I did on RMA on my 6800 a few weeks ago. I shipped it on a Friday, got it back on the next Tuesday - pretty quick turn around. Brand new card, no problems with it at all. I know others who have done RMAs with them and had no problem, so it really just depends on "luck". Are you sure the problem isn't motherboard related?

storpedo

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I had the same exact problem. I still dont know how i fixed it, but for some reason it just started working, i tried refformatting, and all that jazz, but nothing helped. The best guess i can come up with is that a) the fan got stuck and didnt spin, so the card overheated b) some part of the mobo got inadequate cooling for some reason c) it was a sign from god.
Seriously tho, i had the same exact problem, just check the fan, so its not stuck, make sure u got adequate cooling, and just let the computer shut off for a while, maybe like a day or two, watch the TV for that time.

Kurashinno

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
OMG the exact same thing happened to me. I bought a BFG geforce 7800 gt oc and i have dual monitors. Ever since "upgrading" when i select a program from one screen to the other it goes black for 5 sec then comes back. WoW has some buggy looking screens like you wouldn't believe. And when i try to play F.E.A.R. it starts up just fine.. sometimes, then the menu freezes, but audio still plays. I alt+tab it then try to get back in and it says i have no direct3D on my pc. So i dxdiag it and it too as well as WoW both say that i don't have direct3D. I restart my PC and i have it again 8O . I returned one and this one is even worse rofl. So we stand with BFG which is more and more seemingly 'not' the gamer's choice.

yourbestfriend

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Evga all the way, I have one of both 7800gt the Bfg ran hotter I had to upgrade cooling was almost 10 degrees diffrent, I switched it from master to slave still ran hotter

enGRAVEr

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005
I am running 2 BFG 6800GT oc's. I have had the issue with the fan stopping, and it scared the $%^# out of me. Way too much spent on this rig for something silly like a stalled/stopped fan to kill it. I found the problem to be related to overheating. When the new motherboard was installed, I (dumb #%%) placed one of the add in too close to the bottom GPU and as it heated up it auto shut off. Disabling SLI, sending messages that I have a SLI capable machine and should install a second GPU.

I shut down the system for a couple of minutes while I moved the add in to above the top GPU and by the time I was finished & turned it back on the fans restarted. I left the side off just to make sure the fan was rotating, It was. I then put the sides back on the case and kept an eye on the GPU temps for a little while.

Next ran several stres tests, aquamark 3d, 3dmark 01, 03, 05 & 06, Sisandra. All tests completed, and scores were better than previous MB. I am quite sure no one will say I was anything other than lucky. I was. But still, in relation to what everyone here is saying, I have seen the fan shut down and the card quickly disable. My temps are a little high as far as I am concerned. 61c top card, 60 bottom card normal usage. Still quite happy though.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
My 7800 GT also has artifacting problems, haven't tried to RMA it yet.

What do you guys mean by "arifacting problems"?. I have a BFG 7800 gt oc. I haven't tried it out yet. Now i'm kinda worried. One of the guys complained that the card ran pretty hot. What is the norm for a vid card like ours? :twisted:

yourbestfriend

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
45 idle 60 load would be good... artifact starts about 67 or so
remember this is just a generalization, but if you get 0ver 60 in a game you might think about lowering clocks or upgrading cooling
I am still noobish so get a second opinion

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
remember this is just a generalization, but if you get 0ver 60 in a game you might think about lowering clocks or upgrading cooling

What program do you use to monitor your vid card temp? Also what is artifact? FPS?

yourbestfriend

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
everest home edition, speed fan(more advanced) or you could use nvidia utility right click desktop, left click, property's, settings, advanced, should be a tab with the name of gpu click that and there you are click temp settings leave it open play a 3d intensive game and ALT tab to desktop

but i would just get everest home edtion... neat program

if your gpu has a sensor???

fps frames per second

The_nVIDiA_Guy

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
My 7800 GT also has artifacting problems, haven't tried to RMA it yet.

What do you guys mean by "arifacting problems"?. I have a BFG 7800 gt oc. I haven't tried it out yet. Now i'm kinda worried. One of the guys complained that the card ran pretty hot. What is the norm for a vid card like ours? :twisted:

You can see in the pic and Video coming soon. The Textures are curropt and showing in the rong places as I move around. For example, the texture for the trees goes where the rocks are, and there are black paches on the houses.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

I'm going to throw something out there... I don't believe artifacts start at "67 or so" as this guy says... my 7800 GTX has a heat limit of 115 C... yes, 115 C... below that it should be running at full speed... once it hits that speed it's supposed to throttle the card down so it doesn't melt. Can anyone else back me up on this? 67C is WAY too cool of a temperature to be having artifacts... at least if you're pointing at the card's temperature as the source of the artifacts.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Updating a GPU's BIOS? I know it is possible, a company I know flashes the BIOS of its 7900 GTX's to get better OC's out of them, but updating them? Where do you find such BIOS updates? I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I've just never heard of a GPU BIOS doing something wrong like that.

~Ibrahim~

Updating a GPU's BIOS? I know it is possible, a company I know flashes the BIOS of its 7900 GTX's to get better OC's out of them, but updating them? Where do you find such BIOS updates? I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I've just never heard of a GPU BIOS doing something wrong like that.

~Ibrahim~

I have 2 evga 7800's that ran like crap. I went to the manufacturers website, registered my cards, and that allowed me to enter, and get the bios drivers for them. Perhaps bfg has the same setup. There has to be some for it somewhere.

Maybe it will help, maybe it won't. Who knows what's going on with his machine. If it was here in front of me I could tinker with it a while, but he's on his own.

The 7800's were overclocked when I got them, and wouldn't run at the factory presets. Updating the bios helped. Also, he may need to try a couple of different drivers to find the right ones. Or, he needs to crank down on his settings, or maybe he needs to cool his case better.......who knows ?

Maybe something is not set right in the bios ( mobo ). Maybe card was abused, and maybe bfg is shit..........? and it's time for an upgrade.

penguin_d

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
This issues sounds like a motherboard problem, not a video card issue.

I had this issue with an older NF2 based board, and ATI 9800 Pro.

I had the fan stop on the northbridge that lead to some serious over heating... (I'm talking roasty toasty...)

Neways after repairing the broken fan, and firing up the system she started fine. Anyways I started getting artifacts, shutdowns, etc... shortly after. I couldn't RMA the card as it was way old, but I was able to try 4 different video cards in the box. All of them had the same problem, so I tried the original card in my friends PC and it worked fine.

I was able to trace the issue back to the northbridge and that part of the AGP circutry must have cooked a lil to much... Replaced the board with another NF2 based board. and the problem disappeared.

You may want to look into your motherboard if this problem persists.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
iv got a BFG MX440 PCI edition

no probs for 4 years runs great (which is pretty crappy to todays standards but it runs source)

OCed it for a while still ran great

BFG ha sbeen good to me

yourbestfriend

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
truth is every company will have some problems... I heard about Abit and bad capasitors but I still bought an Abit MOBO. Big deal. No company is perfect and they can't test everything or insure shipping will not hurt the item. When I order I just cross my fingers and hope for a computer part sent by the gods