HOLY CRAP!! Defrag took 45 hours

Spin

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004
How long does it take you to defrag your HDD???

I set my computer to defrag my HDD's on Tuesday 2/28/06 6:30pm. It finally finished today , Thursday 3/2/06 3:25pm.

I have 2 Diamond Maxtor UDMA-133

120gig (about 70 gig full)
40 gig (about 35 gig full)

Total of 105 gigs of data.

UNBELIEVABLY LONG!!!! WHAT A TIME HOGGER

Athon XP 2100+
1 gig DDR-2700 ram (2x512)
ECS KM400U MB

cowboytech

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Next time try a reboot and go to: safemode; administrator, and try it here when you head to bed, it should be done when you wakeup!

in power management check all your settings, you know, dont hibernate, dont shutdown the hard drive etc!

Facey

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
o_O Duno why it takes so long, try downloading the free trial of Perfect Disk.

It is a stand alone defragger which does not use the Windows defragger. It does a much better job to.

Kind of review thing here: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29913

It takes me about (ballpark figure) 1-2 hours to defrag 1 80 GB drive (prety much full) 1 250 GB drive (150 GB used). Could be more, I havent done it for a while ( :oops: ). The windows defragger takes ages and does a realy bad job if you have about 10% free, but you seem to have lots of space.

Anyway, give Perfect Disk a go, I am sure you will like it. :D

lcdguy

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
also keep in mind that the length of the defrag procedure is directly related to the amount of freespace free on your hd the more freespace the faster it will go as it has more freespace on the drive to temporarily put the data it's reorganizing.

for example my boot drive which is a 36 gig raptor takes around 45 minutes to defrag becuase it's only 30% full but my data storage array 450GB takes several hours becuase it is 3/4 full. Also i have found that depending on the type of files, the drive types and the default allocation size can help with the defrag process.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Or you could install a product like diskeeper that defrags during idle times or low use times. They have a trial version that is full featured if your looking at a one time thing.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
If running Windows XP:

Goto the command prompt and type:
CHKDSK <drive letter:> /R

For each drive / mounted partition on the system.

When complete to a:
CHKDSK <drive letter:>
; at the command prompt to check if any allocation units get flagged as bad.

If running Windows 95/98/ME, etc:

Ran SCANDISK <drive letter:> /SURFACE from MS-DOS mode, for each drive / mounted partition on the system.

Then run CHKDSK to check if any allocation units get flagged as bad.

Your HDDs may be about to fail so backup your data.

TRENDING THREADS