Sign in with
Your question

George Bush Appoints AMD's Hector Ruiz On Council

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 2, 2006 11:00:43 PM

Not sure if this belongs in CPU, but since it's a CPU manufacturer, here it goes.

SUNNYVALE, Calif. -- March 1, 2006 --President George W. Bush has appointed AMD (NYSE: AMD) chairman and CEO Hector Ruiz to serve on the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST).

The PCAST comprises leaders from the private sector, academic and research communities. The council advises the President on issues related to technology, scientific research priorities, and math and science education.

“We are at a critical juncture in the U.S. in terms of establishing policies in technology, research and education that will foster competitiveness in our global economy,” said Ruiz. “I am honored to have the opportunity to assist the President in this capacity. By strengthening our nation’s competitive capabilities, we can provide continued leadership in development of technology designed to address real-world problems, and not for technology’s sake alone.”

Ruiz currently serves on the National Security Telecommunications Advisory Committee (NSTAC), which provides industry-based advice and expertise to the President on issues and problems related to implementing national security and emergency preparedness communications policies. Ruiz also previously served as a member of the Advisory Committee for Trade Policy and Negotiations (ACTPN), a body that provides policy advice on trade issues to the United States’ Trade Representative, the President’s principal trade policy advisor.

PCAST currently consists of 23 individuals from the top ranks of companies and universities across the nation. The council is co-chaired by the Director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy. Present members include Stephen B. Burke, president of Comcast Cable Communications; Michael S. Dell, chairman, Dell Inc., Robert J. Herbold, executive vice president of Microsoft Corporation and Gordon E. Moore, chairman emeritus, Intel Corp.

Ruiz is one of 14 new PCAST appointees, which also include the heads of companies such as BellSouth Corporation, Duke Energy, EMC Corporation, GlaxoSmithKline and Verisign, Inc., as well as chiefs from the University of Alabama, Boston University, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
March 2, 2006 11:27:53 PM

WOO HOO GO HECTOR GO!!!!!

Finally some cred for us AMD Fanboys good going hector and bush too :roll: this is the first none dumbass thing he's done as president :wink:
March 3, 2006 12:03:57 AM

sweet
Related resources
March 3, 2006 12:19:48 AM

exactly what i said
March 3, 2006 12:41:14 AM

is AMD US based?

i thought it was foreign?
March 3, 2006 12:43:12 AM

AMD is based out of Sunnyvale, California. They have Fabrication Plants in foreign countries.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
March 3, 2006 1:13:55 AM

That's good news.
March 3, 2006 1:20:22 AM

and don't forget amd makes amd makes flash memory too in texas
March 3, 2006 1:21:52 AM

Wow...the best news is that there isn't any Bush bashing in this thread yet (kidding).
March 3, 2006 1:54:27 AM

Looks like he is a AMD fanboy too so he can't be all bad.
March 3, 2006 1:57:55 AM

Quote:
Looks like he is a AMD fanboy too so he can't be all bad.

Who's an AMD fanboy?

March 3, 2006 1:59:38 AM

Bush
March 3, 2006 3:12:25 AM

Wow, that's pretty awesome. Doesn't say a whole lot for Intel
March 3, 2006 3:32:35 AM

Maybe it's because Bush heard that AMD's chips are intelligently designed?! Ha ha, I kill me.

...Hey, where'd everyone go?
March 3, 2006 3:38:34 AM

bush isn't that dumb, i think the us should go kick the assholes's aroundthe world's asses on a regular basis. Canada's military embarasses the hell out of me. :oops:  Sure he says dumb things like "iraqistan" and "strategeries" but that doesn't make him bad.
March 3, 2006 3:54:07 AM

Quote:
bush isn't that dumb, i think the us should go kick the assholes's aroundthe world's asses on a regular basis. Canada's military embarasses the hell out of me. :oops:  Sure he says dumb things like "iraqistan" and "strategeries" but that doesn't make him bad.

Speaking as an American, I'd be shocked if he could turn on a computer. And I pray someone someday will tell him that NUCULAR IS NOT A WORD!!!
March 3, 2006 4:09:23 AM

Quote:

Will not get drawn into a political discussion on Toms' Hardware....

Will not get drawn into a political discussion on Toms' Hardware....

/keeps chanting to self
March 3, 2006 4:11:40 AM

Quote:

Seriously, Political debates are the most f*cked up debates, let's not go there.

March 3, 2006 4:24:35 AM

Not bad for a Mexican immigrant who grew up with nothing.

-mpjesse
March 3, 2006 4:28:07 AM

Quote:
Not bad for a Mexican immigrant who grew up with nothing.

-mpjesse

I was gonna say the same thing about you..

;)  LOL JK JK :D 

March 3, 2006 4:38:09 AM

Quote:

Seriously, Political debates are the most f*cked up debates, let's not go there.

Sorry, not trying to get into politics, I know better. Just having a little fun :twisted:
March 3, 2006 4:38:47 AM

LOL. Tell u what, you can say that about my wife (she's mexican); she'd find it funny. My best friend is always asking her "hey sandy, when u gonna come over and mow my lawn? maybe after you're finished you can help your parents clean my house."

another popular one is...

"hey, did the state let you get a driver's license yet?"

Of course there's the occasional wetback joke as well. She has a good sense of humor about it though.

-mpjesse
March 3, 2006 4:44:18 AM

I used to train with Canadian soldiers up in Ft. Lewis, WA all the time. Good bunch of fellows. They taught us American's how to use the Stryker.

Awesome vehicle. Does just as well in the desert as an M1A2, uses less fuel, and can be converted to a transport, mobile gun, and a billion other things. Anyways, Canada had it first and the US Army wants to covert a buttload of M1A2 brigades into Stryker brigades.
March 3, 2006 4:46:10 AM

If we could all get along nicely we wouldn't need a military ;) .

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a tme
March 3, 2006 4:49:23 AM

For anyone that cares, these are the billion things a Stryker can be converted to:

Quote:
VARIANTS

Stryker variants include the Infantry Carrier Vehicle (ICV) and the Mobile Gun System (MGS). There are eight configurations of the ICV including Nuclear, Biological, Chemical Reconnaissance Vehicle (NBC RV); Anti-Tank Guided Missile (ATGM); Medical Evacuation Vehicle (MEV); Mortar Carrier (MC); Engineer Squad Vehicle (ESV); Command Vehicle (CV); Fire Support Vehicle (FSV); and the Reconnaissance Vehicle (RV). They have parts commonality and self-recovery abilities and are equipped with a central tire inflation system.

The Reconnaissance Vehicle is fitted with the Raytheon Long Range Advanced Scout Surveillance System (LRAS3). The system includes a second-generation Horizontal Technology Initiative (HTI) thermal imager, day TV and eyesafe laser rangefinder. The US Army is to enhance the system by lengthening the sensor mast to 10m, increasing the range to 10km.

The Mortar Carrier (MCV-B) entered service in August 2005. The MCV-B's 120mm mortar is mounted and fires from inside the vehicle through doors that swing open at the top of the vehicle. As well as the mounted mortar, the vehicle carries a second which has to be unloaded before firing. The vehicle has a digital fire control system and a crew of five.

The most common uses are the ICV, MGS, and NBC RV (the coolest one of all). I haven't seen the others in use- but I'm sure they're out there.

Not bad considering the M1A2 can be coverted into... well... nothing. The US Army had to build 6 different armored vehicles (including the shit APC) to do half of what this Stryker can do.

Anyways, getting to the point... the US Army can thank the Canadian Military for this vehicle. So canada's military ain't all that bad... it's just small.

-mpjesse
March 3, 2006 4:52:05 AM

Are you sure you mean the M1A2 (As in Abrams MBT?), and not the M2/3 Bradley aluminum firetrap??
March 3, 2006 4:52:14 AM

My Army is small but powerful. I got the 2 Guns and my Ego :) .

March 3, 2006 5:02:20 AM

I just noticed, that looks remarkably similar to the Marine's old LAV 25 as well: ....I wonder if it is based off of it?
March 3, 2006 1:14:33 PM

Quote:
For anyone that cares, these are the billion things a Stryker can be converted to

What about a MALAN (Mobile Armoured LAN) :lol: 

Don't forget the almight Aussie army and our whoop ass SAS troops! 200 SAS solders sent to Iraq, 200 SAS solders came home :wink:
March 3, 2006 2:12:30 PM

Nice find madModMike.

Glad to know that AMD has the president as a partner. :wink:
March 3, 2006 2:54:02 PM

hey mikeyou wanna know whats the best army a drunken army they go in get the job done and comeback home without ever knowing what they did :D 
March 3, 2006 4:12:54 PM

Yes, the Stryker is in fact based off the old LAV's. Specifically the LAV III (which is what Canada uses).

Quote:
Are you sure you mean the M1A2 (As in Abrams MBT?), and not the M2/3 Bradley aluminum firetrap??

The army prefers (for unknown reasons) to compare the Stryker to the M1 Abrams. Obviously you can't mount as big of gun on a Stryker, but the Army already see's the 120mm gun as "too big." Indeed, considering the US Army's latest missions, the 120mm gun is pretty much useless. A much smaller gun (like the 105mm on the Stryker MGS) is more than enough.

The last war the M1A2 was really used in was the 1st Gulf War. And the 120mm gun was absolutely no match for the Iraqi armored tanks. A 105mm gun would have been more than enough even. The Iraqi tanks could barely make a dent in the M1A2's armor. Not a single M1A2 Abrams was lost to enemy fire in the war, despite the fact that over 500 Iraqi tanks were destroyed by American tanks (the rest were destroyed by air).

The Pentagon has changed the Army's mission to combat terrorism. Generally speaking terrorists don't own or have entire battalions of tanks and armored vehicles. This is why the Stryker is due to replace a lot of M1A2's. Again, the Styker is faster, lighter, uses less gas, holds more soldiers, and can do a lot more than an M1A2 in a terrorism combat mission.

:-)

-mpjesse
March 3, 2006 4:21:53 PM

Makes sense. At least until China is invades Russia/another country for increased living space.
March 3, 2006 4:34:13 PM

yeah our canadian troops are very well trained but the governement doesn't fund shit, so they have crappy equipement, expcept in a few cases like that stryker, and our camo is cadpad, pixelated sstuff that works better than the american stuff.
March 3, 2006 4:55:26 PM

Quote:
yeah our canadian troops are very well trained but the governement doesn't fund ****, so they have crappy equipement, expcept in a few cases like that stryker, and our camo is cadpad, pixelated sstuff that works better than the american stuff.

Makes me think of that computer Paul Revere joke. "I will signal you when the viruses attack--once if by LAN, twice if by C:"

:lol:  :lol: 
March 3, 2006 4:57:27 PM

Well, when was the last time they needed it? :wink:
March 3, 2006 5:21:56 PM

The Marines switched over to that uniform look about 2 years ago. The Army is currently in the process of switching as well.

The new Army one's are cool. They're gray.
March 3, 2006 5:23:45 PM

New Army BDU's:

March 3, 2006 5:30:25 PM

Good, since the old ones were pretty much only good for hunting.
March 3, 2006 6:17:35 PM

Speaking of the 120 mm being more than a match for the Iraqi tanks. You ever watch the history channel? There is test footage of the first M-1's armor being tested. They had a mounted gun, do not know the caliber but it was supposed to represent some of the best the sovies had, firing point blank at the M-1. The M-1 skoots over a few feet, with a small black smudge on its side. Those things are beasts.
March 3, 2006 6:18:29 PM

Speaking of the 120 mm being more than a match for the Iraqi tanks. You ever watch the history channel? There is test footage of the first M-1's armor being tested. They had a mounted gun, do not know the caliber but it was supposed to represent some of the best the sovies had, firing point blank at the M-1. The M-1 skoots over a few feet, with a small black smudge on its side. Those things are beasts.

I feel a little better about my tax dollars going to the gov'ment when I get to watch demo's of our militray blowing shit up on the history channel, or mail call. :lol: 
March 3, 2006 6:23:04 PM

The "edit" button is the one on the upper right of your post, it's not that middle one that says "reply". --JK, JK :D 
March 3, 2006 7:13:01 PM

I've never seen that, but I have read and heard several reports of what you just said. The M1A2 has depleted uranium plates within the armor which pretty much stops any enemy anti-tank shoulder fired missle.

The majority of tank missles and rounds do not explode. They simply pierce the armor (using Tungsten or DU which actually sharpens upon impact) and use secondary explosions to destroy the tank. (Secondary explosions being the enemy tank's OWN rounds, lol). This why so many turrets "blew off" the top of Iraqi tanks in the 1st war. The tanks own rounds denoated within the tank causing the turret to blow off the top. There were reports of the turrets flying as high as 50 feet by US soldiers.

That's not to say M1A2's cannot be destroyed (after doing some research it appears that 9 were actually damaged beyond repair by enemy fire in the 1st gulf war), however the likelihood of someone dieing in the tank is very, very low. In fact, not a single soldier was killed (by enemy fire) in an M1A2. There were however several friendly fire casualties. The majority of which were from M1A2's firing upon friendly M1A2's. Most unfortunate.

-mpjesse
March 3, 2006 7:24:19 PM

Darn, your telling me the Canadians have armored vehicles. My Canadian friend always told me that they had to get out their mooses and shotguns. :lol: 
March 3, 2006 8:11:00 PM

Quote:
And I pray someone someday will tell him that NUCULAR IS NOT A WORD!!!

Hmmm, while your at it, tell that to Jimmy Carter. He used the same pronounciation... and he studied nuclear physics in college.
March 3, 2006 8:15:29 PM

Quote:
And I pray someone someday will tell him that NUCULAR IS NOT A WORD!!!

Hmmm, while your at it, tell that to Jimmy Carter. He used the same pronounciation... and he studied nuclear physics in college.

I am thinking of making it my personal mission to educate everyone about that. I HATE that. BTW, my statement was not a Dem vs Rep thing. I just think Bush is a bit mentally deficient.

[Edit]Spelling..Apparantly, so am I 8) [/Edit]
March 3, 2006 8:27:11 PM

Just my thoughts here:

I've seen a lot of interviews with a lot politicians who hate Bush. But none of them ever come outright and state that he was an idiot. Indeed, all his opponents can vouch that he is not an idiot. The majority of his opponents just disagree with his politics and policies. There's a difference between intelligence and politics. :-) (As we all know, one does not necessarily need to be intelligent to be a politician. muahaha)

However.

He is a horrible speaker. Because the US President's position is largely a public one, he appears to be an idiot. I am still at a loss as to how he made it into any political office with his horrible speech skills. I mean he is just downright horrible. His train of thought (while publicly speaking) consistently veers off into babel and he constantly repeats himself. It's god damned embarrasing! He makes us look like idiots. LOL
March 3, 2006 8:36:47 PM

I'll agree with that.
March 3, 2006 8:54:25 PM

Hey,

Even the Mexicans are going with AMD's. They bought 20,000 AMD Opteron workstations from Sun Micosystems for their education departments/ schools (K-12).
March 4, 2006 3:13:24 AM

Quote:
Darn, your telling me the Canadians have armored vehicles. My Canadian friend always told me that they had to get out their mooses and shotguns. :lol: 

Canada has a military!?!??! I didn't even know that the word "War" was in the Canadian vocabulary. :lol: 
!