How Far Am I?

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Being a newcomer to FS 9, how does one know when
he or she is say 5 miles from landing on the runway
beside "Requesting Airport Direction"?
Trying to properly land 737.
Thank you
7 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 04:35:24 GMT, Scooterdog wrote:

    > Being a newcomer to FS 9, how does one know when
    > he or she is say 5 miles from landing on the runway
    > beside "Requesting Airport Direction"?
    > Trying to properly land 737.
    > Thank you

    Most airports have Distance Measuring Equipement (DME). So you have to tune
    in it's frequency on the Nav radio and you will see your distance from the
    airport on the display.
    You will also have detailed info about your position and distance from the
    airport (or any other waypoint) if you enter your flight plan in the FMC.
    Hope it helps
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    If you announce your position to ATC. They compute it for you and to your
    own surprise you can hear what is supposed to be your own voice telling the
    tower how far from the airfield you are. Most amazing and perhaps not quite
    as real as it gets, but useful all the same. I have often used this in the
    sim to dicover where I am after quilling around. :-)
    --
    Cheers,

    Quilly


    An individual reply goes into my spam filter
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    I still do not have something right. The frequency is set on Nav1
    correct. In the cockpit, you hear morse code beeping. But I was 12
    miles from the runway and neither DME1 or 2 showed anything.
    What else am I doing wrong?
    Thank you

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 07:59:29 +0200, Nkd <vvz.rijeka@iskcon.hr> wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 May 2005 04:35:24 GMT, Scooterdog wrote:
    >
    >> Being a newcomer to FS 9, how does one know when
    >> he or she is say 5 miles from landing on the runway
    >> beside "Requesting Airport Direction"?
    >> Trying to properly land 737.
    >> Thank you
    >
    >Most airports have Distance Measuring Equipement (DME). So you have to tune
    >in it's frequency on the Nav radio and you will see your distance from the
    >airport on the display.
    >You will also have detailed info about your position and distance from the
    >airport (or any other waypoint) if you enter your flight plan in the FMC.
    >Hope it helps
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Scooterdog" <jon-simek@hot.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:f8ep81dga0te9uk193gu788ssn1kv2naug@4ax.com...
    >I still do not have something right. The frequency is set on Nav1
    > correct. In the cockpit, you hear morse code beeping. But I was 12
    > miles from the runway and neither DME1 or 2 showed anything.
    > What else am I doing wrong?
    > Thank you

    Are you sure that particular ILS HAS DME??? Is that the correct Morse code
    ID?? What does the approach plate say about DME and Morse ID???

    Paul
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    I want to say "Thank You" to BOTH of you for your help.
    I was using the frequeny for the runway-Not the VOR/DME.
    This was a true learning process for me.
    Again, Thanks to both of you for your time.

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 11:23:37 -0500, "Paul Riley"
    <Falcon63624@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >"Scooterdog" <jon-simek@hot.rr.com> wrote in message
    >news:f8ep81dga0te9uk193gu788ssn1kv2naug@4ax.com...
    >>I still do not have something right. The frequency is set on Nav1
    >> correct. In the cockpit, you hear morse code beeping. But I was 12
    >> miles from the runway and neither DME1 or 2 showed anything.
    >> What else am I doing wrong?
    >> Thank you
    >
    >Are you sure that particular ILS HAS DME??? Is that the correct Morse code
    >ID?? What does the approach plate say about DME and Morse ID???
    >
    >Paul
    >
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Here's a website that has helped many of us the last couple of years.
    Lots of good information on navigation can be found there.
    http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ .

    Trip

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Scooterdog" <jon-simek@hot.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:917q811qg82f9i54sehqed9ohk67g6056q@4ax.com...
    >I want to say "Thank You" to BOTH of you for your help.
    > I was using the frequeny for the runway-Not the VOR/DME.
    > This was a true learning process for me.
    > Again, Thanks to both of you for your time.
    >
    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 11:23:37 -0500, "Paul Riley"
    > <Falcon63624@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"Scooterdog" <jon-simek@hot.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>news:f8ep81dga0te9uk193gu788ssn1kv2naug@4ax.com...
    >>>I still do not have something right. The frequency is set on Nav1
    >>> correct. In the cockpit, you hear morse code beeping. But I was 12
    >>> miles from the runway and neither DME1 or 2 showed anything.
    >>> What else am I doing wrong?
    >>> Thank you
    >>
    >>Are you sure that particular ILS HAS DME??? Is that the correct Morse code
    >>ID?? What does the approach plate say about DME and Morse ID???
    >>
    >>Paul
    >>
    >
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Scooterdog" <jon-simek@hot.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:dg5o81duoinmcmju7f4fiabms7otfpp62e@4ax.com...
    > Being a newcomer to FS 9, how does one know when
    > he or she is say 5 miles from landing on the runway
    > beside "Requesting Airport Direction"?
    > Trying to properly land 737.
    > Thank you
    use the range rings on the GPS......maybe by FS12 it will be real as it
    gets.
Ask a new question

Read More

Games Microsoft Video Games