The New Celeron of Dual Cores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Anybody seen any reviews of that PentiumD 805? I notice Newegg just dropped the price. It's dirt cheap, but the problem is it runs on the 533 bus... You can prolly overclock it to 3.2 or 3.4, but still I'm wondering how much the slower FSB will further handicap the setup...

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Wow, They actually released the 805! For a long time it was thought to not make it to the US. God am I pleased to see this beauty. Behold, the $150 dual core that should run at 3.3 ghz on the 666 fsb.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Anybody seen any reviews of that PentiumD 805? I notice Newegg just dropped the price. It's dirt cheap, but the problem is it runs on the 533 bus... You can prolly overclock it to 3.2 or 3.4, but still I'm wondering how much the slower FSB will further handicap the setup...

This CPU is the acclaimed "Dual-Core Overclockers CPU", it's a defected Pentium D 830 IIRC where the CPU couldn't handle a 800MHz FSB in Fabrication so they renamed it the 805. This CPU should be able to OC to about 3.4 to 3.6GHz. As long as it stays 10-15% below the 800MHz FSB, it should be stable.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
Your right. It's my understanding that all processors under the fastest of a peticular model are defective to some degree. 4800+ being perfect, 4600+ a little lower in quality and so one, same for intel.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Your right. It's my understanding that all processors under the fastest of a peticular model are defective to some degree. 4800+ being perfect, 4600+ a little lower in quality and so one, same for intel.

Nah, not to that degree. Intel and AMD make chips in slower speed so everybody can benefit from newer technology. But chips like the 805, some other Intel and AMD Chips like maybe a 3500+ starting out to be a 3700+ but a sector of the L2 Cache became damaged, they would disable half and sell it as a full functional 3500+. But AMD does make 3500+'s on purpose and Intel makes 820's, 650's, etc. On purpose, the 4600+ is not a defect but it is a CPU AMD is making on purpose.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
i really dont care cause i think that amd might release a sempron x2 for 150 2x1.6ghz and 2x256hk cache i cant wait

dvdpiddy signin off for the night good night all :D

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You know for that money, I'm tempted to start my next project... See how far I could overclock it.

I wonder if the 805 has something to do with Intel having difficulty selling the Smithfields. Lots of bad press about their relative slowness and heat production. In fact, I believe some of the early reports had the 820 not running well on some boards.

At any rate, I find that price real attractive for a dual core chip!

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
You know for that money, I'm tempted to start my next project... See how far I could overclock it.

I wonder if the 805 has something to do with Intel having difficulty selling the Smithfields. Lots of bad press about their relative slowness and heat production. In fact, I believe some of the early reports had the 820 not running well on some boards.

At any rate, I find that price real attractive for a dual core chip!

Read my first post, guarantee you won't get passed 3.7GHz with it.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
id disagree because! the x800gto is basically a crippled x850 or some faster card right?... x800 having 12 pipes and the other 4 locked because they didnt pass all the tests, but if u unlock them theres some rate of success, so i bet if he gets lucky he could break 3.7... but just curious, are u talking about ocing 3.6 on each core? cause thats pretty fast... anyone know how that would compare to the p4 3.4 dual core/amd x2 4400?

BTW, anyone notice that dvd posts are ALL fanboy related and have nothing to do with the topic, i go on to read a thread and randomly see his posts, no joke this is about 70% of the threads i read... ill stop from ranting, but anyone who owns the 805 run some benchmarks at stock and oc'd so we can see how it compares to the more expensive dual cores...

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
id disagree because! the x800gto is basically a crippled x850 or some faster card right?... x800 having 12 pipes and the other 4 locked because they didnt pass all the tests, but if u unlock them theres some rate of success, so i bet if he gets lucky he could break 3.7... but just curious, are u talking about ocing 3.6 on each core? cause thats pretty fast... anyone know how that would compare to the p4 3.4 dual core/amd x2 4400?

BTW, anyone notice that dvd posts are ALL fanboy related and have nothing to do with the topic, i go on to read a thread and randomly see his posts, no joke this is about 70% of the threads i read... ill stop from ranting, but anyone who owns the 805 run some benchmarks at stock and oc'd so we can see how it compares to the more expensive dual cores...

What the f*ck are you talking about? We're talking about the Intel Pentium D 805 PROCESSOR, not an X800 ATI Video Card.

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I'm looking for similar info regarding the OC possibilities. I posted in the OC section of this forum regarding the PD 805, but I guess I should of looked here first. If it OC's even to a 190 FSB like the celeron D 2.66 does, it's benchmarks should easily best the 820, 830 and perhaps even the Extremely Expensive Edition. According to Xbit lab's benchmarks, the Celeron D 2.66 @ 3.8Ghz OC'ed, actually performed equal to the 3.2 P4's. Not sure how it would stack up against the new presler cores with the 2Mb L2 cache's but that is another testing consideration for whoever choses to professionally test/benchmark the new 805.

I would like to know where Mike got his quote, "Dual-Core Overclockers CPU" and his statement that the 805's were defective 820's/830's as it might be interesting reading. Only time will tell until someone posts their fortune/misfortune with the 805.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I'm looking for similar info regarding the OC possibilities. I posted in the OC section of this forum regarding the PD 805, but I guess I should of looked here first. If it OC's even to a 190 FSB like the celeron D 2.66 does, it's benchmarks should easily best the 820, 830 and perhaps even the Extremely Expensive Edition. According to Xbit lab's benchmarks, the Celeron D 2.66 @ 3.8Ghz OC'ed, actually performed equal to the 3.2 P4's. Not sure how it would stack up against the new presler cores with the 2Mb L2 cache's but that is another testing consideration for whoever choses to professionally test/benchmark the new 805.

I would like to know where Mike got his quote, "Dual-Core Overclockers CPU" and his statement that the 805's were defective 820's/830's as it might be interesting reading. Only time will tell until someone posts their fortune/misfortune with the 805.

I called it the "Dual-Core Overclockers CPU" because it is the prime candidate for overclocking, I heard a few people and sites calling it this. I read on these forums by a fellow poster that the 805's were defective 830's.

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I have no doubt it will yield some interesting if not incredible results when OC'ed but I wouldn't bank on it performing better than the new presler core 920/930 OC'ed. It will depend strictly on it's OC %. Check this out if your interested. http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=452447&P=4
Bang for the buck factor will most likely be higher than the more expensive 920 but that may also change after the projected price drop coming in April. Your probably right regarding the defective nature of the 805's FSB but I hate to trust general opinion without documentation. Would be very interesting if it OC's past 800FSB, huh? :)

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Celery's REALLY a PoS? :eek: No more so than a comparable Sempron.
Check this out, it's for real.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/celeron-d_7.html

Back when the article came out I couldn't believe it and built the same system myself and it was 100% true. I even got a 195 FSB=3.9Ghz aircooled! I've since moved on to bigger and better things but that rig went to a family member who is STILL using it OC'ed @ 190-3.8Ghz aircooled,daily! Stable and rock solid. Never heard of a sempron performing that well OC'ed but perhaps it might. It only cost $87. for the retail box version Celeron 2.66Ghz back then. Money well spent for anyone on a budget. We're all entiltled to our opinions for general babble & ignorant fanboy purposes but benchmarks are where the truth is and superceeds ALL opinion, humble or otherwise.

Now I'm seriously considering giving the 805 a try to see how well it'll do but I may wait to see a review somewhere first. THG would be nice or even Xbit Labs. The only other consideration may be if Intel releases a 905 using the presler cores and whether they (805 & 905?)really are crippled 820/830 & 920/930 chips. Definitley worth using though for a budget build.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, I'm running the NEW CELERON OF CELERONS, a Celeron D 2.13 at 3.2GHz and stock voltage. It's slower at some things than my P4 2.6C, but what the heck, I put it in to play with it and just haven't gotten around to taking it back out.

Status
Not open for further replies.