Sign in with
Your question

Fist new Gaming Comp (Cont.)

Last response: in Systems
March 3, 2006 1:42:44 AM

Ok, after reading all the replyes to my first post; I changed around some of the hardwere that was sugested to be better performance while still staying within my price range, and as like befor, I would like to make shure, befor I buy the hardware I have selected, if all my selections will be compatable so I can just easly asemble and go; and if there is anything that I may be missing weather it be a cooling fan or a screw kit (this is my very fist home built comp so I want to make shure I have EVERYTHING I need for asembly). Keep in mind Im not going for a super extreme gaming comp with every Bell and Whistle (If that where the case Id buy a pre build alienware :wink: ), but I did want to leave room for desent improvment later when the need arises. So this is what I have so for on the shipping list:

:arrow: Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor :wink:

:arrow: Motherboard: ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX AMD

:arrow: Ram: OCZ Gold Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ5002048ELGE-K

:arrow: Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA NCQ 3Gb/s ST3160812AS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

:arrow: Video Card: eVGA 256-P2-N529-AX Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

:arrow: Power Supply: Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply

:arrow: Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS SB0350 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

:arrow: Case: Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Well thats if for the hardwhere 8) , though I did have just a few more questions. :? First off I was wondering if there was a real big diffrence between the eVGA 256-P2-N529-AX Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card that I have selected and the eVGA 256-P2-N527-AX Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card wich is $50 cheaper, is it worth spending the exstra $ in the long run for future upgrading or would it be just the same with the N527. :?: And second, I was looking at the ASPIRE X-Navigator ATXA9NW-BK/500 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply, would this case be a better choise then the one above, it includs a 500W power suply so I would save almost $100 or would I need a 550W power supply for my setup, and If the case is compatable with my hardwere but its better to get a 550W power supply, could I swap out the power supply in this case with the Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply I have above. :?: I hope I havent burdened anyone by asking alot of questions, like i said this is my fist home built comp and I want to make shure I dont screw up 8O . I would apreciate any help I can get and look forward to the replies I hope to recive. Thank you :D 

More about : fist gaming comp cont

March 3, 2006 2:15:18 AM

I would still opt for a faster hard drive :) 

Can’t speak to too much else (I like your setup though) except maybe the power. It is almost always better to get a separate power supply rather than going with an ‘all in one’ solution because it’s the ‘quality’ of the PSU that counts rather than the actual raw (and theoretical limits) data given in specs. I’m running much more equipment on my Liberty PSU yet it is only speced at 500w (I am running at the edge at around 489w when pushing my rig).
March 3, 2006 2:31:49 AM

Are you going to OC? If not PC 4000 is useless. Buy PC3200 instead.
Related resources
March 3, 2006 3:00:33 AM

And if your overclocking the the opty 170 or 175. Much higher overclocks better chips ect.. and if you dont need the new comp right now wait a week and the 7900 comes out 3/9. It will drop the prices on the 7800 gtx or if you want to get a 7900 for what the 7800 gtx costs now and get a bit more power out of it.
March 3, 2006 3:28:21 AM

Nice rig you got there.
Quote:
Are you going to OC? If not PC 4000 is useless. Buy PC3200 instead.

I agree with guru here. Even if you do do some minor OCing, I would still go with a DDR400 instead of a DDR500.
Quote:
It is almost always better to get a separate power supply rather than going with an ‘all in one’ solution because it’s the ‘quality’ of the PSU that counts rather than the actual raw (and theoretical limits) data given in specs.

This is true also, the power supply is one thing that you don't want to go cheap on. A dependable and reliable power supply is almost like the foundation of a good stable system. You can buy the best cpu, gpu, mobo, and ram out there and by a crappy power supply and it might not even boot up. Or you could buy a reliable and dependable power supply and maybe shave off a few dollars on the other components and your system should run smooth as butter. I hope this helps 8)
March 3, 2006 3:45:13 AM

I agree with the above posters on the Opteron chips--that is, if you're overclocking. Since this is a gaming rig, I also recommend a faster hard drive. The 10,000rpm 74gb WD should be good to suffice--you'll need the faster rpm's sooner than you'll need the extra space. If you need to, later on you can spring for an additional 100-250gb 7,200rpm hd.

I have that Antec PSU and can say nothing but good things about it. Only one gripe--cable management! Wires EVERYWHERE. Sort those out before hooking everything up, or your case will look like a bowl of spaghetti like mine.

I also have a Creative Audigy2 ZS like yours, slightly different model. Good card, but be forewarned--if your case has front panel audio hookups, they will NOT connect to this sound card. Creative wants you to throw down extra bread for their premium setup, which includes a panel that takes up one of your 5.25" bays. This really disappointed me when I did my build, but I should've done my research.

That mobo is good, but I gotta tell you, I'm partial to my EPoX 9NPA+ SLI, which has most of the features you'd want from this board at almost $100 less. But if you've got the money to spend and you're really keen on this ASUS board, it's a good choice.
!