Help, Computer restarts constantly...

bluescreenofdeath

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I had my custom built PC for about three years now. Recently, the computer will restart without notice. It all started when I was working on a graphic project. The computer since then has been crashing more often. I have replaced the power supply unit because I thought that may be the problem,and restored default BIOS settings. I have tested my hardware using PC Doctor Version 2.2 and the CPU and Memory test fine. Also, the Harddrives are new. Anyone else have any ideas?

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Windows restarts automatically when you have a system failure. It may be a hardware failure, but often this behavior is a software problem. You should download and install all the latest drivers for your machine. If your BIOS version is old, you might want to update that as well.

You can turn off the automatic restarting feature of Windows by going into the Advanced tab of System Properties, click on "settings" under Startup and Recovery and uncheck the box to Automically restart on a system failure. That will allow you to see the "blue screen of death" that signals that your computer has stopped working. It's pretty cryptic, but it'll give you SOME idea as to what the computer is dieing from.

You can also check the system log to see if the computer is recording a specific event leading to your restarts. Do this by going into "Control Panel" and "Administrative tools" and click on "Event Viewer". See what it says is happening.

audiolover

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
To investigate the problem better you should disable the option to "automaticallt restart after a problem".
You will find this option in controlpanel-system-advanced-start and repair options (as I do not have an English Windows version these names might be a bit different but you will find it). You will find an option for "an automatic restart after a problem has occured".
If you disable this item then the next time the problem occurs your pc will not restart but give you a "blue screen of death" instead. In this BSD you will find an error message, GOOGLE the message and you might find out which piece of hardware or software is causing the problem.

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
hmm your video card could have finnaly started its descent to death. usually signs are constant crashing, game lockups(reboots), funny windows graphics. try what scout said, and if you have a temp moniter in bios go check it out, i 2nd the system specs.

bluescreenofdeath

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
My system specs

MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR
AMD Athlon XP 2700+
1 gig (512x2) Kingston RAM
AGP x1600Pro (recently upgraded after system failure started)
2 160gig HD
430 Watt ThermalTake PSU (upgraded after system failure started)
NEC DVD/CD Burner

System was cleaned after crashes started. BIOS and MBM assure me my computer is not overheating 47C when running Games. I think I saw a program run called minidump when you CTRL+Delete that runs when the system starts crashing(when it locks up), but it mostly restarts without warning? I notice too I can hear my other hard drive spin down before a crash happens. Does this help you at all?

bluescreenofdeath

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Well, thanks for all your help and suggestions. I do believe; however, the problem is the motherboard. I have tested all other components in a different computer and they work perfectly. So I just ordered a new board. Again, thanks for all the help and suggestions. :D

ecosoft

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Dude:

Hold up on the mobo order until your are POSITIVE that you are not harboring some creepy virus ... I had a similar situation about a year or so ago ... thought it was hdwe, but turned out to be a virus from Romania.