Real life B747 almost lands gear up

Within the recent thread about a B757 leaving the gear down long after
departure, there was at least one post that implied that mistakes in
the "heavy" cockpit never happen.

As if on cue, on May 16th at Newark Airport in the US (a large, busy
airport in north-eastern New Jersey), the Newark tower controller
spotted an Air India B747 on short final with its gear up.

Here is the brief radio transcript of the incident:

http://www.natca.org/mediacenter/ALEasternRegionTranscript.msp

This page has the actual recording of the minor incident. Click on the
"Eastern Region" link to hear it:

http://www.natca.org/mediacenter/ALTapes.msp

While the exchange itself seemed anti-climatic, the importance of that
brief call should not be understated. :)

--
Peter

Lorain:

> The awards were on May 16th, not the incident.

Whoops. Sorry about that.

--
Peter

Bob McKellar wrote:
> http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/188536-1.html
>
> Another (long) story about an "almost" gear up 747 landing.

In it he says:

I also looked for the glide slope, now just starting to come in, and we
were nicely above it, descending about 2,500 fpm, and out of 5,000 feet.

2500fpm? Isn't that a bit fast???

John

--
To reply, remove "die.spammers" from address

That rate of descent is OK. Just be sure to level it out a bit before
touchdown :) . There could be a number of reasons for that rate at that
altitude - ATC requirement, outlying high terrain, noise abatment, pilot
requirement (screwup), etc. There are miles to go at 5000 (usually) so still
time left to get her settled down.

Trip

"The Man Behind The Curtain (formerly The Lindbergh Baby)"
<johngrabowski1@die.spammersearthlink.net> wrote in message
> Bob McKellar wrote:
>> http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/188536-1.html
>>
>> Another (long) story about an "almost" gear up 747 landing.
>
> In it he says:
>
> I also looked for the glide slope, now just starting to come in, and we
> were nicely above it, descending about 2,500 fpm, and out of 5,000 feet.
>
> 2500fpm? Isn't that a bit fast???
>

> John
>
> --
> To reply, remove "die.spammers" from address
>

> Von Herzen, moge es wieder zu Herzen gehen. --Beethoven

Back in 1987 (gosh! almost twenty years ago!) I was on business in Islamabad
and had it on good authority from a Boeing accident investigator that a
Pakistan International crew actually belly landed a 747 at Islamabad
International! Apparently, according to the Boeing man, the aircraft was
salvageable except that as the inflatable bags borrowed from Kuwait to raise
the a/craft were too small the PIA "engineers" decided to jack the a/craft
up the final few feet by operating the landing gear. It was that which
damaged the main spar beyond repair so writing off the 747. The aviation
authority investigation revealed from the cockpit voice recorder that on
final approach all three crew members were arguing about one of their girl
friends! :0))

Iain

"Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Within the recent thread about a B757 leaving the gear down long after
> departure, there was at least one post that implied that mistakes in
> the "heavy" cockpit never happen.
>
> As if on cue, on May 16th at Newark Airport in the US (a large, busy
> airport in north-eastern New Jersey), the Newark tower controller
> spotted an Air India B747 on short final with its gear up.
>
> Here is the brief radio transcript of the incident:
>
> http://www.natca.org/mediacenter/ALEasternRegionTranscript.msp
>
> This page has the actual recording of the minor incident. Click on the
> "Eastern Region" link to hear it:
>
> http://www.natca.org/mediacenter/ALTapes.msp
>
> While the exchange itself seemed anti-climatic, the importance of that
> brief call should not be understated. :)
>

> --
> Peter

Arthur

I duck everytime I see a PIA airliner fly over my house. Of course, that's
a stupid reaction since the aircraft is on long final and about 15,000 feet
up, but why take a chance?

Arthur

"Iain Smith" <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Back in 1987 (gosh! almost twenty years ago!) I was on business in
> Islamabad and had it on good authority from a Boeing accident investigator
> that a Pakistan International crew actually belly landed a 747 at
> Islamabad International! Apparently, according to the Boeing man, the
> aircraft was salvageable except that as the inflatable bags borrowed from
> Kuwait to raise the a/craft were too small the PIA "engineers" decided to
> jack the a/craft up the final few feet by operating the landing gear. It
> was that which damaged the main spar beyond repair so writing off the 747.
> The aviation authority investigation revealed from the cockpit voice
> recorder that on final approach all three crew members were arguing about
> one of their girl friends! :0))
>
> Iain
>
> "Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Within the recent thread about a B757 leaving the gear down long after
>> departure, there was at least one post that implied that mistakes in
>> the "heavy" cockpit never happen.
>>
>> As if on cue, on May 16th at Newark Airport in the US (a large, busy
>> airport in north-eastern New Jersey), the Newark tower controller
>> spotted an Air India B747 on short final with its gear up.
>>
>> Here is the brief radio transcript of the incident:
>>
>> http://www.natca.org/mediacenter/ALEasternRegionTranscript.msp
>>
>> This page has the actual recording of the minor incident. Click on the
>> "Eastern Region" link to hear it:
>>
>> http://www.natca.org/mediacenter/ALTapes.msp
>>
>> While the exchange itself seemed anti-climatic, the importance of that
>> brief call should not be understated. :)
>>

>> --
>> Peter

"Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message

> As if on cue, on May 16th at Newark Airport in the US (a large, busy
> airport in north-eastern New Jersey), the Newark tower controller
> spotted an Air India B747 on short final with its gear up.

The awards were on May 16th, not the incident.

http://www.natca.org/mediacenter/ALEastern1.msp

L.

dallas

"charlie"
> Dittamo keyed the mike: "Air India 145, check gear down. Gear appears up."

Is the tower required to report incidents to the FAA for investigation. Can
we assume the PIC lost his job over this?

Dallas

Trip Lane wrote:
> That rate of descent is OK. Just be sure to level it out a bit before
> touchdown :) . There could be a number of reasons for that rate at that
> altitude - ATC requirement, outlying high terrain, noise abatment, pilot
> requirement (screwup), etc. There are miles to go at 5000 (usually) so still
> time left to get her settled down.

I was just afraid ears would be popping and stomachs would be sinking
and my passengers would be scrambling for the air sick bags.

John

--
To reply, remove "die.spammers" from address