Tags:
  • Gtx
  • Graphics Cards
  • Geforce
  • Nvidia
  • Product
Last response: in News comments
September 19, 2012 3:13:26 AM

There is another GTX655, the gap between 660non-Ti and 650 non-Ti is too wide to be fill with just 1 product.
Score
a c 86 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 19, 2012 3:16:24 AM

About time they start aiming for the sweet spot with Kepler. Don't understand why both AMD and Nvidia have been leaving this big hole in the middle of their lineups this year.
Score
Related resources
September 19, 2012 3:26:34 AM

AMD should release the 7790 to fill the gap between 7770 and 7850.. But 8000 Series is getting closer...

Score
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 3:30:43 AM

YES!!! This is exactly the price point that I'm looking for.
Score
September 19, 2012 3:52:34 AM

Still running my 320mb 8800gts card here I am starting to think my card is getting old they almost already made it back to the "8" series cards again.
Score
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 4:04:07 AM

It's at a currently mostly ignored price point, but it has 1GiB of VRAM and it has the same core configuration as the 660... Seriously, 1GiB on a new card that is intended to fit into the 6870/560 market? Nvidia could have dropped capacity to 1.5GiB instead of 1GiB.
Score
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 4:09:10 AM

Ooh look at that, too bad nVidia if you had done this sooner I might not have bought my 7770, but you snooze you loose.
Score
September 19, 2012 4:13:01 AM

exactly @blazorthon, with the speed of 650Ti GK106, it does match very well with 1.5GB VRAM, cutting 512MB RAM and sell that card @ $119~129 would have much better than @ $149.

for 650TI, 1.5GB would have been ideal.
Score
September 19, 2012 4:17:01 AM

assasin32Still running my 320mb 8800gts card here I am starting to think my card is getting old they almost already made it back to the "8" series cards again.

Interesting.

I tend to upgrade at a faster rate.

Geforce 2 ,then
Geforce 5, Then
Geforce 9
Geforce 4xx,next will be
Geforce 7xx in 2013.
Score
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 4:19:38 AM

Tomfreakexactly @blazorthon, with the speed of 650Ti GK106, it does match very well with 1.5GB VRAM, cutting 512MB RAM and sell that card @ $119~129 would have much better than @ $149.for 650TI, 1.5GB would have been ideal.

Unfortunately, Nvidia never seems interested in using an ideal amount of VRAM :( 
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 4:25:28 AM

FINALLY! I've been waiting for the 650 Ti to be released for my budget backup gaming build. I only play lowend old games on it so there is no need to spend 220-500 dollars on a video card. This card is in the perfect price to performance.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 4:47:25 AM

$150 is pretty much as high as I am comfortable going for a GPU since I am not serious enough about gaming to justify spending any more money than that. I'm still using my HD5770 and might carry it over to my next PC.
Score
September 19, 2012 5:32:03 AM

assasin32Still running my 320mb 8800gts card here I am starting to think my card is getting old they almost already made it back to the "8" series cards again.

Same here. agree 100%. but why woudn't they? what's the demand for faster cards? Latest PC games are busy milking out huge console money with sequels & franchises based on 5-year old engines as long as people are buying. Even though the PC versions are poorly optimized, they still run fine on 8800GT or similar. Skyrim = Oblivion = fallouts. Crysis 2 = 1 (probably less, in fact). Ass-Creed 3 = rev = bro = 2 = 1. Unreal Engine 3 = pretty much every game (WOW!) = batman = mass effect = gears of war = MOH = Bioshock = Rainbow6-V ...
Score
September 19, 2012 5:41:56 AM

blazorthonUnfortunately, Nvidia never seems interested in using an ideal amount of VRAM
blame the idiot casual consumer. 1/2GB seems to look more "normal" than any other VRAM configuration

Score
September 19, 2012 5:45:19 AM

s997863Same here. agree 100%. but why woudn't they? what's the demand for faster cards? Latest PC games are busy milking out huge console money with sequels & franchises based on 5-year old engines as long as people are buying. Even though the PC versions are poorly optimized, they still run fine on 8800GT or similar. Skyrim = Oblivion = fallouts. Crysis 2 = 1 (probably less, in fact). Ass-Creed 3 = rev = bro = 2 = 1. Unreal Engine 3 = pretty much every game (WOW!) = batman = mass effect = gears of war = MOH = Bioshock = Rainbow6-V ...
4yrs ago, I almost bought 9600GT, but when I saw 9800GT is only $20-30 more. I opt it. I happily using it now, no plan to upgrade until the new card go below $100.
Score
September 19, 2012 7:14:39 AM

I had a good laugh at your comment....i'm still laughing lol.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 11:36:16 AM

SakkuraAbout time they start aiming for the sweet spot with Kepler. Don't understand why both AMD and Nvidia have been leaving this big hole in the middle of their lineups this year.

Probably production/yield issues...
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 19, 2012 12:09:41 PM

I might consider if it is much faster than any gtx460/560/Ti after factoring in the clocks. If the memory clocks are not good and the margins are small then I will likely won't buy it but if nvidia decided to use ddr3 I won't buy it period.
Score
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 12:13:24 PM

nforce4maxI might consider if it is much faster than any gtx460/560/Ti after factoring in the clocks. If the memory clocks are not good and the margins are small then I will likely won't buy it but if nvidia decided to use ddr3 I won't buy it period.

It's almost definitely using GDDR5 if even the GTX 650 is using GDDR5. I'd be more worried about the width of the memory interface and the mere 1GiB of memory capacity.
Score
a c 179 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 19, 2012 12:24:46 PM

TomfreakThere is another GTX655, the gap between 660non-Ti and 650 non-Ti is too wide to be fill with just 1 product.

Nvidia was never very concentrated on the mid to low range cards. I believe the GTX655 if it gets released is an OEM card. AMD dominates low to mid range generally. Whereas Nvidia dominates high range.
Score
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 12:28:06 PM

NovuakeNvidia was never very concentrated on the mid to low range cards. I believe the GTX655 if it gets released is an OEM card. AMD dominates low to mid range generally. Whereas Nvidia dominates high range.

Not necessarily. Even last generation, excluding the far overpriced GTX 580, AMD had good competition for Nvidia. In the previous generation, this was still true and it is true this generation to an even greater extent.
Score
a c 179 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 19, 2012 12:28:35 PM

s997863Same here. agree 100%. but why woudn't they? what's the demand for faster cards? Latest PC games are busy milking out huge console money with sequels & franchises based on 5-year old engines as long as people are buying. Even though the PC versions are poorly optimized, they still run fine on 8800GT or similar. Skyrim = Oblivion = fallouts. Crysis 2 = 1 (probably less, in fact). Ass-Creed 3 = rev = bro = 2 = 1. Unreal Engine 3 = pretty much every game (WOW!) = batman = mass effect = gears of war = MOH = Bioshock = Rainbow6-V ...

So true, but you must not be gaming on an HD display, thats where the difference comes in. Any lower ress and 5 Gen cards back can still run it.
Score
a c 179 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 19, 2012 12:30:17 PM

blazorthonNvidia is dominating the high end? I have to disagree. The only high-end card of theirs that AMD doesn't have an excellent competitor for at this time is the GTX 690 and that's hardly relevant.

I am not referring to performance, i am referring to sales(OEM and retail). The marketing concentration from Nvidia is concentrated on Mid to high end.
Score
September 19, 2012 12:37:56 PM

makes no difference to me, I'm still skipping Kepler.
GTX 6 series anyways.
Score
September 19, 2012 12:41:07 PM

lol @650Ti
Score
September 19, 2012 1:00:06 PM

NovuakeNvidia was never very concentrated on the mid to low range cards. I believe the GTX655 if it gets released is an OEM card. AMD dominates low to mid range generally. Whereas Nvidia dominates high range.
Don't know if you have been paying attention during this generation, but AMD dominates all across the board.
Score
a c 179 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 19, 2012 1:05:00 PM

zootedDon't know if you have been paying attention during this generation, but AMD dominates all across the board.

Uhm?? Fanboy much...

If you saw my second reply then you would not be saying this.

"I am not referring to performance, i am referring to sales(OEM and retail). The marketing concentration from Nvidia is concentrated on Mid to high end."

As for domination from AMD? Hmmm... Read this :
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
Score
September 19, 2012 1:19:50 PM

NovuakeUhm?? Fanboy much...If you saw my second reply then you would not be saying this."I am not referring to performance, i am referring to sales(OEM and retail). The marketing concentration from Nvidia is concentrated on Mid to high end."As for domination from AMD? Hmmm... Read this : http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] ,3107.html

Probably not the best thing to link. I see an AMD card at every price point sans the 670.
Score
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 1:21:11 PM

NovuakeUhm?? Fanboy much...If you saw my second reply then you would not be saying this."I am not referring to performance, i am referring to sales(OEM and retail). The marketing concentration from Nvidia is concentrated on Mid to high end."As for domination from AMD? Hmmm... Read this : http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] ,3107.html

AMD had about ten wins against Nvidia's four wins (two of which were a draw and one of which was the GTX 690 because AMD didn't want to bother making an ~$1K that might cost more in R&D and manufacturing than they'd get back in profits). I wouldn't call AMD dominating Nvidia either, but at least for the best gaming graphics cards for the money articles, AMD is winning overall (although as you said earlier, AMD is probably losing in sales in the high-end anyway).
Score
a c 179 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 19, 2012 1:22:31 PM

spleenbegoneProbably not the best thing to link. I see an AMD card at every price point sans the 670.

Thats my point, there are representatives from both AMD and Nvidia...I am not an Nvidia or AMD fanboy, I buy what I need for what purpose at the right price.
Score
a c 179 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 19, 2012 1:27:35 PM

blazorthonAMD had about ten wins against Nvidia's four wins (two of which were a draw and one of which was the GTX 690 because AMD didn't want to bother making an ~$1K that might cost more in R&D and manufacturing than they'd get back in profits). I wouldn't call AMD dominating Nvidia either, but at least for the best gaming graphics cards for the money articles, AMD is winning overall (although as you said earlier, AMD is probably losing in sales in the high-end anyway).

Exactly... THank you for clearing this up for the fanboy rabble. lol

Like you read my mind...
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 1:30:27 PM

Finally a "mid-range" card being launched. There has been a need of an HD 7790 or HD 7830 for quite some time from AMD. Not only is there too huge of a price gap between the sweet-spot from $130 to $190, but the performance gap is just about as large between the 7770 and 7850. Glad to at least see someone besides the consumer recognizes this.
Score
September 19, 2012 1:33:20 PM

9800GT/GTX460/560 has all been selling extremely well @ these price tag. Now why would Nvidia ignore this segment?

the current pricing of 660 non-TI is more expensive than the $149-199 price tag. Then the performance+ price gap between the 660non-Ti & 650non-Ti is sooo big. you must be insane to think Nvidia gonna allow AMD to dominate this area alone. 1 Product 650Ti is not enough to fill this big gap. 2 is more like the ideal thing for Nvidia.

I would also assume AMD will also come out something between 7850/7770. the gap between these 2 is also too big
Score
September 19, 2012 1:41:20 PM

I've really been wanting a GTX 6xx. But I have a feeling that come Black Friday the 7850 will be close to $150 seeing that it is under $189 with rebate now. We will see what NVIDIA offers at a similar price come Dec. But it's hard to refuse the 7850 if it hits that price.
Score
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 1:41:46 PM

Tomfreak9800GT/GTX460/560 has all been selling extremely well @ these price tag. Now why would Nvidia ignore this segment? the current pricing of 660 non-TI is more expensive than the $149-199 price tag. Then the performance+ price gap between the 660non-Ti & 650non-Ti is sooo big. you must be insane to think Nvidia gonna allow AMD to dominate this area alone. 1 Product 650Ti is not enough to fill this big gap. 2 is more like the ideal thing for Nvidia. I would also assume AMD will also come out something between 7850/7770. the gap between these 2 is also too big

Those aren't exactly lower end cards and are more comparable to the the 660 in the function that they fit into in this generation.

It is unlikely that there will be another card from Nvidia in this price range except maybe in the OEM models. A retail model in this range other than the 650 Ti is very unlikely.

I agree in that the gap is too large, but it is unlikely that AMD will release another card here within the Radeon 7000 series. AMD has not only made a public, official statement (several times) saying that they won't do it, but doing so would require a third tier card and those tend to not go too well for AMD, especially given that the 7850's binning is already 25% short in block count of the 7870 as well as 14% lower in clock frequency. Besides, the highly factory overclocked 7770s (some are over 20% faster than reference) seem to fill the role fairly well anyway.
Score
September 19, 2012 1:42:56 PM

I've really been wanting a GTX 6xx. But I have a feeling that come Black Friday the 7850 will be close to $150 seeing that it is under $189 with rebate now. We will see what NVIDIA offers at a similar price come Dec. But it's hard to refuse the 7850 if it hits that price.
Score
September 19, 2012 1:46:44 PM

The mid to low range cards are the previous generation cards. They can still make money on these without the manufacturing cost of the new products.
Score
September 19, 2012 3:25:56 PM

Its a nice price range for a low end budget build. Great for the average user.
Score
September 19, 2012 5:33:13 PM

no external exhaust makes it worthless in my book. might as well build a fire in your case, it would produce less heat
Score
September 19, 2012 5:37:16 PM

Tomfreakblame the idiot casual consumer. 1/2GB seems to look more "normal" than any other VRAM configuration

They must have picked up on this notion. My current 260gtx (216 core) comes with 896MB memory. Talk about an odd configuration. Sadly it's like 20MB shy of turning on high shaders in Max Payne 3 with all other options on high too.
Score
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 5:42:34 PM

f-14no external exhaust makes it worthless in my book. might as well build a fire in your case, it would produce less heat

High heat production isn't the problem. The problem would just be getting it out of the case (if that's even problematic at all).
Score
September 19, 2012 6:40:48 PM

Waiting for AMD 8850 for $199! :D  (if its true)
Score
September 19, 2012 8:13:46 PM

Still rocking my 9800GT at 1900x1200! But boy do i need a new card lol (whole new computer actually)
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 8:51:20 PM

With holiday sales and the 8xxx series coming up soon, wouldn't be surprised to see the 7850 for $150 and 7870 for $180. Hopefully the 8xxx series will be a very big jump in performance. By the looks of the leaked 8xxx chart a few days ago, it seems that the 8770 will be just as good as the 7850.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 9:35:42 PM

I've been in the Computer business awhile and in wholesale nVidia out sells AMD/ATI 20 to 1 easy. Some gamers may buy AMD over nVidia, however 95% of businesses prefer nVidia, period. It goes back to the history of ATI and the horrible driver issues they always had. Businesses still have a lot a fear about facing those issues today. AMD has improved their drivers, but nVidia is still better at drivers updates and releases. I've had customer bring back the new 7000s series cards and swear they'll never buy another AMD because of drivers issues. Personally I don't care what I sell its all green to me. In my own computer I use nVidia, they just work, I've tried ATI/AMD several times and I always feel like, ah the drivers are weak. They are improving, and someday they may be on par with nVidia at least I hope so otherwise AMD is going the way of the Dodo.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 12:42:12 AM

littleleoI've been in the Computer business awhile and in wholesale nVidia out sells AMD/ATI 20 to 1 easy. Some gamers may buy AMD over nVidia, however 95% of businesses prefer nVidia, period. It goes back to the history of ATI and the horrible driver issues they always had. Businesses still have a lot a fear about facing those issues today. AMD has improved their drivers, but nVidia is still better at drivers updates and releases. I've had customer bring back the new 7000s series cards and swear they'll never buy another AMD because of drivers issues. Personally I don't care what I sell its all green to me. In my own computer I use nVidia, they just work, I've tried ATI/AMD several times and I always feel like, ah the drivers are weak. They are improving, and someday they may be on par with nVidia at least I hope so otherwise AMD is going the way of the Dodo.

20:1 you say,
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
This must be a gamer only thing I guess. In my time, I've owned (discrete) maybe 10 ATI cards, 6 Nvidia, and 2 3Dfx cards. As an end user's perspective, they've all had their quirks and issues. Everyone has had either a bad driver update that likes to fry/brick a card, use of inferior solder that deteriorates and leaves a card useless, overheating and excessive power consumption issues, drivers that flat-out fail to work properly for gaming, I could keep going. You paint a picture as if Nvidia is mightier than they are, keep in mind the known-term of "the mighty green machine" refers to Nvidia's hard push to retail through marketing, handpicking review samples for tech sites, TWIMTBP, etc. - its a work of art. They put a lot of financial backing into these programs and it really pays off for them really well. Right now I am on a Radeon streak of 6 cards dating back to the HD 3000 series, my last Geforce was an 8800GT (bricked due to the solder fiasco, but so was my 8600m), this works for me and as I last heard none of these cards are giving any major issues - and they're all still running. I'm sure something will pop up sooner or later and make me look somewhere else again, but I have a hard time believing that your sales numbers of 20:1 and 95% business use of Nvidia isn't highly local, because nationally/worldwide it isn't the case.
Score
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 1:03:43 AM

littleleoI've been in the Computer business awhile and in wholesale nVidia out sells AMD/ATI 20 to 1 easy. Some gamers may buy AMD over nVidia, however 95% of businesses prefer nVidia, period. It goes back to the history of ATI and the horrible driver issues they always had. Businesses still have a lot a fear about facing those issues today. AMD has improved their drivers, but nVidia is still better at drivers updates and releases. I've had customer bring back the new 7000s series cards and swear they'll never buy another AMD because of drivers issues. Personally I don't care what I sell its all green to me. In my own computer I use nVidia, they just work, I've tried ATI/AMD several times and I always feel like, ah the drivers are weak. They are improving, and someday they may be on par with nVidia at least I hope so otherwise AMD is going the way of the Dodo.

Don't forget to install the WHQL 196.75 drivers on your next Nvidia card.
Score
September 20, 2012 1:41:59 AM

blazorthonThose aren't exactly lower end cards and are more comparable to the the 660 in the function that they fit into in this generation.It is unlikely that there will be another card from Nvidia in this price range except maybe in the OEM models. A retail model in this range other than the 650 Ti is very unlikely.I agree in that the gap is too large, but it is unlikely that AMD will release another card here within the Radeon 7000 series. AMD has not only made a public, official statement (several times) saying that they won't do it, but doing so would require a third tier card and those tend to not go too well for AMD, especially given that the 7850's binning is already 25% short in block count of the 7870 as well as 14% lower in clock frequency. Besides, the highly factory overclocked 7770s (some are over 20% faster than reference) seem to fill the role fairly well anyway.
they have done it on 6800, how would they say no to 7800. Dont forget 7850 does not have ROP being chopped. 28nm are not as mature as 40nm. 6800 have some chips that have defective ROP, AMD release it as 6790. Now why would a 7800 ROP are perfectly fine? 7770 super clock edition are only as fast as 6850. 7850 is @ slightly above 6950 performance area. Who is gonna fill the 6870 performance? There is also a full 80$ price gap there.

660 non-TI is probably the most expensive mid ranger ever. They have not fit the role of those 9800GT/460/560 roles yet.
Score
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 1:52:57 AM

Tomfreakthey have done it on 6800, how would they say no to 7800. Dont forget 7850 does not have ROP being chopped. 28nm are not as mature as 40nm. 6800 have some chips that have defective ROP, AMD release it as 6790. Now why would a 7800 ROP are perfectly fine? 7770 super clock edition are only as fast as 6850. 7850 is @ slightly above 6950 performance area. Who is gonna fill the 6870 performance? There is also a full 80$ price gap there. 660 non-TI is probably the most expensive mid ranger ever. They have not fit the role of those 9800GT/460/560 roles yet.

The 6790 was not just a card with disabled ROPs. It had very high power consumption relative to the 6850 and the 6770, so it obviously had terrible binning. The 7850 and 7870 have no such binning issues regardless of their 28nm process' maturity.

The reference 7770 has already met the 6850. The highly overclocked models compete with the 6870.
The 660 performs hardly any worse than the 660 Ti (especially when overclocking is considered), so it's priced where it should be considering that.

Yes, there is a gap and it should be filled. However, looking at the past doesn't matter if you ignore how things are right now. The chances of AMD releasing another GCN GPU-based card from the Radeon 7000 series are slim to none. They will probably address this in the Radeon 8000 generation. Maybe AMD has been lying all of these months about not making a Radeon 7790 or 7830, but regardless of what they say, it simply might not make sense when they can instead use pretty much all non-useless Pitcairn GPUs in 7870s and 7850s. If anything, the 7850 will probably drop into this price range.
Score
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!