Would upgrade be significant?

dlantz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I'm currently running an Athlon 64 3400+ with 2 gigs ram and an ATI x800 xtpe. If I wanted to upgrade my gpu, would I get a significant boost, or would my cpu bottleneck it? And can I get a rough idea of what % bump I'd get from upgrading? (Budget is around the $400 range, so probably could get a 7800 gt at best I'm thinking.)

Thanks

id leave it until the 7900GTX and Intels Conroe come out and see the prices of them and competing products fall, but your system - seriously, its up to scratch really - the boost would cost too much for such little gain.

Sakaris

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I agree with Apache_lives on this one, you've got a pretty capable system as is. Assuming you have a socket 939 processor and PCIe graphics I'd wait a few months, when conroe rolls around and the 7900 becomes commercially available we should see prices drop a bit on not quite bleeding edge hardware. If you're playing newer games like F.E.A.R. or like jacking up your antialiasing settings you should see a considerable improvement with a 7800 gt over what you have now, I just think its a little too expensive to upgrade at the moment IMO.

I miss the days when you could find yourself a killer graphics card on ebay for around a hundred bucks. :roll:

twall

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2005
I had the same problem as you did. My video card wa Radeon 9600 Pro, so I upgraded to 6600 GT. I guessed i would use that for another year, year and a half, and i still am guessing that, then i will upgrade to, whatever.

But you already have x850xt pe. Only thing you could upgrade from that would be 7800 GS OC, or something, and it wouldn't worth it.

If you are unsatisfied with your graphics, first upgrade your mobo to a pci x one.

Sakaris

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
It depends, there are x850 xt PE's on PCIe as well as AGP. If he has a PCIe card he could upgrade to whatever single card solution he'd want at this point. I have a 9600 pro AGP and an athlon 64 3000+ socket 754 myself, so I'm waiting it out til I can get a new motherboard, processor and graphics card in one fell swoop.

so I guess the question is, whats your motherboard dlantz?