Sign in with
Your question

Fist New Gaming Comp (Cont.) Third times a charm

Last response: in Systems
March 3, 2006 5:34:06 AM

Ok, after reading all the replies to my second post; I changed around some of the hardwere that was sugested to be better performing, and as like befor, I would like to make shure, befor I buy the hardware I have selected, if all my selections will be compatable so I can just easly asemble and go; and if there is anything that I may be missing. Keep in mind Im not going for a super extreme gaming comp with every Bell and Whistle (If that where the case Id buy a pre build alienware :wink: ), but I did want to leave room for desent improvment later when the need arises. So this is what I have so for on the shipping list:

:arrow: Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor :wink:

:arrow: Motherboard: ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX AMD

:arrow: Ram: OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Platinum System Memory

:arrow: Heard Drive: Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150

:arrow: Video Card: eVGA 256-P2-N529-AX Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
:!: I may just wait a week or two for the 7900 wich I here is coming out. Would that be better for this setup?

:arrow: Power Supply: Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply

:arrow: Case: ASPIRE X-CRUISE -BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower

:?: Sound Card: Im stumped on a sound card at the moment and am taking sugestions, Im not a BIG fan of the sound card, but what I am looking for is a desent card with an Optical Cable output if posible that is also good for gaming without geting to pricy. Prefably $150 or below. I have lots of music saved on my HD that I will be using as the second HD and I like to run my music through my reciver. So any sugestions are greatly apreciated.

Well thats if for the hardwhere 8) , though I did have just a few more questions. :? I was just wondering if anyone out there, by just taking a quick glance at my set up, could tell me what are the OCing abilitys of this setup; Im not planing on doing any serious OCing, but I was just curious. Like i said this is my fist home built comp and I want to make shure I dont screw up 8O . I would apreciate any help I can get and look forward to the replies I hope to recive. Thank you :D 
March 3, 2006 6:38:58 AM

lol to me that is a pretty super extreme gaming comp :D  everything looks up to par and are you going to be using SLI? if not i highly suggest you find another mobo, yes it is very good and has very good reviews but its not worth the price(unless you just dont care). Soundblaster audigy 2 is always good. you could wait for the 7900 to come out(if you plan to buy it, plan to spend much out the ass) but if your still eyeing the 7800GT, prices should go down after the 7900 launch. Peace.
March 3, 2006 7:36:26 AM

Yeh I would say the asus motherboard is overkill especially considering its price.

I would prob go for the x1900xt as well the 7900 prob will not beat it and it will last you the longest possible time of the current cards.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 3, 2006 4:01:06 PM

I do plan on going SLI, justy not at the moment I wanted to leave room for upgrades later, hence the ASUS A8N32-Delux, but if you know one that would be better suited thats a bit cheaper plz let me know.
March 4, 2006 2:03:26 PM

Quote:
I do plan on going SLI, justy not at the moment I wanted to leave room for upgrades later, hence the ASUS A8N32-Delux, but if you know one that would be better suited thats a bit cheaper plz let me know.

NewEgg is offering a eVGA video card for $349 (256MB 7800GT) that comes with a free eVGA SLI motherboard with the same chipset as the Asus board. This might be worth taking a look at.

Video Card on NewEgg

If you want to stick with Asus you can also go with this:
A8N-SLI Deluxe This saves you $60, and the only big difference between the A8N and the A8N-32 is the 32 has 2 x16 PCI-E slots vs x8.. (not a huge difference by any means, its still x16 until you install 2 cards)

Actually for the money on CPU you might be better off using an Opteron 165 or 170 CPU. They are clocked slightly slower (1.8/2.0) vs the 2.2GHz of the 4200+, but they come with twice the L2 cache (1MB per CPU vs only 512).

Opteron 165

Opteron 170

--Duck
a b B Homebuilt system
March 5, 2006 12:32:36 PM

"NewEgg is offering a eVGA video card for $349 (256MB 7800GT) that comes with a free eVGA SLI motherboard with the same chipset as the Asus board. This might be worth taking a look at.
"

In light of other vendors selling 7800GT cards for as low as $250 on sale, I really don't consider the free mb a deal, but merely a combo to force you to choose the evga SLI mainboard....

Now if there were two 7800GTs and the mb for $500, I'd reconsider! :-)
!