Flying cars at last!

Dallas wrote:

> 350+ MPH - up to 28 miles per gallon - Ceiling FL30

I would suggest searching the rec.aviation.* newsgroups, reverse date
sort, for keywords "MOLLER SKYCAR" for some very illuminating reading.

--
Peter

Arthur

Yeah.....but is the stereo system any good?

Arthur

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Dallas wrote:

> Just like the Jetsons...
>
> 350+ MPH - up to 28 miles per gallon - Ceiling FL30
>
> http://www.moller.com/skycar

This guy's been promising flying cars for a long time now.

There still aren't any.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you!

AFAIK none of his vehicles have actually operated out of ground effect.
Some people who know more aerodynamics than I do have said that they'll
never actually get out of ground effect.

Brian.

will it be a chick magnet?

Vern

"Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Yeah.....but is the stereo system any good?
>
> Arthur
>
> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
> >
> > Just like the Jetsons...
> >
> > 350+ MPH - up to 28 miles per gallon - Ceiling FL30
> >
> > http://www.moller.com/skycar/
> >

> > Dallas

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"The_Rock" <sweetvee1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> will it be a chick magnet?
>
> Vern

Yes, it'll pull them in a real treat if they stand in front of the fans.

Steve

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"The_Rock" <sweetvee1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> will it be a chick magnet?

More likely it will be a Homeland Security magnet, notably if you try to fly
over Washington DC or NYC or any US city. If a tiny Cessna 150 can cause a
mass panic on the ground and people scurrying like ants shepherded by
shouting authorities with combat shotguns, imagine what havoc flying cars
will cause. :)

Mike

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

MiChAeL wrote:

> "The_Rock" <sweetvee1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>will it be a chick magnet?
>>

> More likely it will be a Homeland Security magnet, notably if you try to fly
> over Washington DC or NYC or any US city. If a tiny Cessna 150 can cause a
> mass panic on the ground and people scurrying like ants shepherded by
> shouting authorities with combat shotguns, imagine what havoc flying cars
> will cause. :)
>
> Mike

Not to mention the ability to drive, as a car, all the way to central DC
and then be able to take off and fly from there.

--

boB,
Master_Caution_70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

dallas

"Brian Burger"
> I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you!

Don't worry.. I'm not holding my breath. :)

The whole thing has the smell of scam on it... 350 mph... give me a
break!

I bet the whole idea is to scam little old ladies out of their retirement
money.

Dallas

it will be hard for him to scam ... he's been on wings channel, discovery
channel, and other specialty programs .... to much visibility to scam ...

> "Brian Burger"
> > I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you!
>
> Don't worry.. I'm not holding my breath. :)
>
> The whole thing has the smell of scam on it... 350 mph... give me a
> break!
>
> I bet the whole idea is to scam little old ladies out of their retirement
> money.
>
> Dallas

Not to worry guys - we won't see that any time soon.
And it's not because of the availablility of flying cars - just
imagine those nuts you see on the road every day taking to the air.
Heaven help us ...

Drag racing in the sky ......

What would be needed is computer controlled guideways for hands off
operation. Just enter your destination and press 'go' ;-)

-=tom=-

On Thu, 19 May 2005 18:54:22 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> Just like the Jetsons...
>
> 350+ MPH - up to 28 miles per gallon - Ceiling FL30
>
> http://www.moller.com/skycar/

It's a bird!
It's a plane!

It's....an atrocity!

I wouldn't get in that thing if my life depended on it.
It looks like a failed experiment from the 50's!

Still...it's a good way to get rid of mother-in-laws. Clean and clear. :)

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(...travelling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy!)

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Marcel Kuijper" <zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 19 May 2005 18:54:22 GMT, Dallas wrote:
>
>> Just like the Jetsons...
>>
>> 350+ MPH - up to 28 miles per gallon - Ceiling FL30
>>
>> http://www.moller.com/skycar/
>
> It's a bird!
> It's a plane!
>
> It's....an atrocity!

To me, a nice basic ultralight is a realistic alternative to a "flying car,"
which has forever been trying to get off the ground and has for the most
part only seen the front covers of Popular Mechanics since the 1950's. If it
doesn't have efficient wings or a gliding backup, I wouldn't want to be in
it. If it fails 200 feet up before transition to horizontal flight a
ballistic chute would barely make it out of the pack before the Moller noses
in like a lawn dart. Better a short takeoff roll than a zero speed VTOL
failure. The concept should be kept simple, as in say folding wings or
helicopter / autogyrolike rotor blades mounted on a lightweight highway
driveable car body. If the Moller does make it, it would likely only be a
millionaire's toy anyways, subject to all the high costs of regular
aircraft. Plus, it seems more like an exotic form of airplane with its
undercarriage than a car per se. One small wheel in a pothole and ..:) With
a 35mph limited highway speed it won't be much of a highway cruiser.

I would have thought that a submarine car like James Bond's wd be more
feasable.
I am always suspicious of any product that is supposed to do two or more
different jobs. You get the hairbrush that unfolds into a bicycle, or the
binoculars that turn into a camp bed. Naaaaaa not for me thanks :)

Cheers,

Quilly

An individual reply goes into my spam filter

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sun, 22 May 2005 10:27:33 -0300, "MiChAeL" <baaaaa@out-there.net>
wrote:

>"Marcel Kuijper" <zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 19 May 2005 18:54:22 GMT, Dallas wrote:
>>
>>> Just like the Jetsons...
>>>
>>> 350+ MPH - up to 28 miles per gallon - Ceiling FL30
>>>
>>> http://www.moller.com/skycar/

This car has surfaced about once a year for the last 20 or so, or is
that 50.
So far, it's been nothing more than hype and a sinkhole for investors
money. It has done tethered flight,

However, by the time they add enough redundancy to take care of an
engine failure and then get type acceptance, that will be one very
expensive buggy... IF they ever get it working.

On top of that, "if a miracle happened" and they could make them safe
and inexpensive AND easy to fly AND get the FAA certification you
would see a new type of traffic control.

For one, you can not land any kind of aircraft in most cities except
at an airport or designated landing pad. In many states landing on the
road (intentionally except in an emergency) is not an option either.

Most drivers have enough of a problem with two dimensions, now add a
third. The control would have to be truely automated and that would
be expensive and it would be a liability nightmare.

For a pilot it would be a fantastic piece of equipment albeit
expensive IF they ever make it work and safely. Like cars, gas is the
least expensive part of the cost of operation. Most drivers just
don't realize it.

So, for now it's a great thing to fanaticize about, but completely
impractical and were it made operational today, it could be as much as
20 years before ATC would be able to handle the traffic.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com