can't yet see laserjet 3100

I'm helping a friend out with a laserjet 3100 that he was using for
faxing but didn't have cabled up to his computer. I snagged the
following adapter,
http://www.provantage.com/buy-7cbtc04u-mc36m-c36f-parallel-adapter-ieee-1284-b-cable-cables-go-adapters-09440-shopping.htm

stuck it on a parallel cable, and leashed the e-machine to the
Laserjet. I saw no printer.. detected jack squat.. I've had great
luck with XP just detecting everything I've thrown at it, so I'm
assuming I have either a bad printer (in terms of it's parallel
connectivity), or perhaps a bad cable or adapter.

So now, going through my list of possible problems, I'm thinking:

1) What are the settings I need on the PC side for the printer port?
Anything special? ECP/(whatever the other ones are)? Port settings -
enable legacy plug and play detection? Anything special I need to do
to get this ball rolling?

2) I know there were various flavors of IEEE 1284 cables. Some
properly do BiDi.. some don't work at all.. Not sure if the one I
grabbed from my box of parts meets the specs.. What are the guidelines
there?

3) Anything to mess with on the printer side?

I'm considering snagging a straight cable without the adapter, like
this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3668&item=6730769350&rd=1
to see if I have better luck.
Any "gotchas" I should know about that I'm not seeing here?

RE: (3) Anything to mess with on the printer side..

I'm thinking of stuff like.. printer firmware or possible comm
settings that somebody may have messed up via accessing settings from
menu setup type buttons. Any factory defaults to restore that might
get the ball rolling from the printer side?

"hupjack" <hupjack@excite.com> wrote:
snip
>I'm helping a friend out with a laserjet 3100 that he was using for
>faxing but didn't have cabled up to his computer. I snagged the
>following adapter,
>http://www.provantage.com/buy-7cbtc04u-mc36m-c36f-parallel-adapter-ieee-1284-b-cable-cables-go-adapters-09440-shopping.htm
>
>stuck it on a parallel cable, and leashed the e-machine to the
>Laserjet. I saw no printer.. detected jack squat.. I've had great
>luck with XP just detecting everything I've thrown at it, so I'm
>assuming I have either a bad printer (in terms of it's parallel
>connectivity), or perhaps a bad cable or adapter.

I have a 3100 running on XP without problem. But, you need to install the
latest driver from the HP site for the 3100 into XP prior to connecting the
printer. Then XP will detect the printer. It's getting harder and harder
to keep this old warhorse running with each change of the OS :(.
Charlie
Charliec

the problem there for me turned out that hp didn't have the drivers for
download for that printer.. looks like they make you buy a cd. I
found them on the net elsewhere though... got it working

where did you find them?? can you send the link please?

"hupjack" <hupjack@excite.com> wrote in message
> the problem there for me turned out that hp didn't have the drivers for
> download for that printer.. looks like they make you buy a cd. I
> found them on the net elsewhere though... got it working

bunch of them here:
http://www.windowsxp-drivers.com/companies/15/456.htm

I snagged one of these two.. might be the exact same.. who knows..
http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=78526
http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=84602

that was all from a google search of "laserjet 3100 drivers xp"

S.N. wrote:
> where did you find them?? can you send the link please?
>
> "hupjack" <hupjack@excite.com> wrote in message
> > the problem there for me turned out that hp didn't have the drivers
for
> > download for that printer.. looks like they make you buy a cd. I
> > found them on the net elsewhere though... got it working

Thank you!!

> bunch of them here:
> http://www.windowsxp-drivers.com/companies/15/456.htm
>
> I snagged one of these two.. might be the exact same.. who knows..
> http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=78526
> http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=84602
>
> that was all from a google search of "laserjet 3100 drivers xp"
>

> S.N. wrote:
> > where did you find them?? can you send the link please?
> >
> > "hupjack" <hupjack@excite.com> wrote in message
> > > the problem there for me turned out that hp didn't have the drivers
> for
> > > download for that printer.. looks like they make you buy a cd. I
> > > found them on the net elsewhere though... got it working

I tried these.....XP keeps saying that the drivers are not digitally signed
and then will not complete the installation.