Athlon FX = unlocked multiplier

Briguy131

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I know that the Athlon FX 60 has a unlocked multiplier, but is it the same for all the Athlon FX's?
The thing I really want to know is when the FX’s for the Socket AM2 come out will there multipliers be unlocked or not? Thanks for the help.

By the way I did try to search for this but could not find anything.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
All current FX chips are unlocked.

No idea about the AM2 thing, but I would be suprised if they were locked. It's a large part of the demand for them (as small as it is).

It's not going to lose them money after all.... since it's the most expensive line anyhow.

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Ya I would agree with the previous post that the big draw to the FX is the unlocked mulitplier so it makes perfect since to assume that if it aint broke don't fix it approach should be used.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I know that the Athlon FX 60 has a unlocked multiplier, but is it the same for all the Athlon FX's?
The thing I really want to know is when the FX’s for the Socket AM2 come out will there multipliers be unlocked or not? Thanks for the help.

By the way I did try to search for this but could not find anything.

All past, current, and future AMD64 FX processors have had, do have, and will always have an Unlocked Multiplier.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

RocketRobin

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
This question might be moot for a lot of folks.
Many 'daily driver' overclockers will optimise the system buss first, utilising fast RAM with low latency. In this case, even the stock multiplier might be faster than what the individual CPU can handle. So, the CPU multiplier is often run at an even lower value than stock setting, but with a much higher than stock CPU frequency. This usually results in a very fast, quiet and electrically efficient rig.
Of course, for those attempting a world record benchmark, run insane core voltages, have sufficient ventilation in their lab for the extensive deployment of free liquid nitrogen and a generous supply of dry motherboards, then the gloves are off.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Yup, all FX CPUs have unlocked multipliers, and that's why they're so damn expensive.

And because they dominate :).

actually i believe that the opteron CPU's OC higher...

I wasn't referring to overclockability, but simply saying the FX's pwn, and they do ;). Opties have locked Multi's though, FX's have unlocked, :p.