Flying the Dash 8 Q300

I have noticed when flying the Dash 8 Q300 using auto pilot that above
20,000 feet the plane flies with about a 3 degree pitch. Is this the way it
flies in real life or is this just a peculiar thing with the software. Just
curious.
Jack

"Jackson K McAfee" <mcafeej@digital.net> skrev i melding
> I have noticed when flying the Dash 8 Q300 using auto pilot that above
> 20,000 feet the plane flies with about a 3 degree pitch. Is this the way
it
> flies in real life or is this just a peculiar thing with the software.
Just
> curious.
> Jack

Pretty much like in real life, differs slightly with weight of course. I`ve
seen as much as 5 degrees pitch up during cruise over FL 200.

CF

What are the flight dynamics that make this necessary. It seems to me that
it reduces the cruising speed somewhat, creates additional drag which leads
to lower fuel efficiency. And yet the Dash 8 is touted for its fuel
efficiency. How does this work out? Just curious.
Jack

"Jackson K McAfee" <mcafeej@digital.net> wrote in message
> What are the flight dynamics that make this necessary. It seems to me that
> it reduces the cruising speed somewhat, creates additional drag which
> leads to lower fuel efficiency. And yet the Dash 8 is touted for its fuel
> efficiency. How does this work out? Just curious.
> Jack
> "Clamer Meltzer" <clamer.meltzer@c2i.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jackson K McAfee" <mcafeej@digital.net> skrev i melding
>>> I have noticed when flying the Dash 8 Q300 using auto pilot that above
>>> 20,000 feet the plane flies with about a 3 degree pitch. Is this the way
>> it
>>> flies in real life or is this just a peculiar thing with the software.
>> Just
>>> curious.
>>> Jack
>>
>> Pretty much like in real life, differs slightly with weight of course.
>> I`ve
>> seen as much as 5 degrees pitch up during cruise over FL 200.
>>
>> CF

IN a nutshell.... As you climb the atmospheric density decreases.... as that
density decreases the ability of a wing to produce lift decreases. There
are several ways to increas lift on a wing, you can increase speed, increase
wing surface area, or increase angle of attack. Increasing speed may not
be all that practical at that altitude...after all you want to stay fuel
effecient. Increasing surface area is valid in some instances (FLAPS), but
creates way to much drag to use in cruise (creates a fuel economy issue, as
well as structural integrity). The only real option left is to increase
AOA, has the least effect on fuel burn, and is most easilly implemented.

Relate that to nearly ANY aircraft flying... and you will almost always see
a measurable pitch up related between the wings/relative wind. MOST
airplanes have an inbuilt angle (called the angle of incidence) to insure a
positive AOA when sitting still and parked on the ramp (or going down the
runway for that matter), and this does help keep the nose slightly lower in
cruise, but will still usually result in a nose high attitude.

Another thing to consider... in large aircraft a notable percentage of lift
does not come from the differential pressure on the wings (AKA bernoulli's
principle), but by Newtons 3rd law stating that for every action there is an
equal and opposite reaction. As airflow impacts the bottom of the
wing.fuselage.whatever it gets deflected downward, resulting in a force
equal to the deflictive force pushing in the opposite direction of the
airplane, usually UP, sometimes with a sligthly aft component. By keeping a
slightly higher nose up attitude more of "Newtons lift" can come into play.

Thanks for taking the time to give a lengthly explanation of what is going
on when a plane has some positive pitch at high altitudes. Every since I
got FS 2004 I have been learning something about the science of flying
almost every day. Thanks again.
Jack