Actiontec GT701-WG Lockups

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.vpn,comp.dcom.xdsl (More info?)

I have an Actiontec GT701-WG DSL Router that I got from Qwest in the last
few days. Behind this unit, I have a Linksys BEFVP41 VPN Router. I have
the Actiontec configured with the DMZ forwarding all incoming traffic to the
Linksys Router.

The Actiontec has been locking up on me a lot. It seems to be happening
when I establish more than one simultaneous IPSEC tunnel from the Linksys
router to multiple other Linksys VPN routers at remote locations. If I have
two tunnels open, the Actiontec has been locking up every 5 minutes.

When it locks up, nothing works. I can't ping the unit, connect to
wireless, etc.....

I am running the latest firmware (QW03-3.60.1.0.5.5-GT701-WG) that Qwest has
available.

Does this sound like a firmware issue or bad hardware? (Note: I replaced
the Actiontec with a CISCO 678 that I had lying around, which has been
working like a champ).

Thanks for the feedback,
--
Mike Schumann

Mike Schumann wrote:
> I have an Actiontec GT701-WG DSL Router that I got from Qwest in the last
> few days. Behind this unit, I have a Linksys BEFVP41 VPN Router. I have
> the Actiontec configured with the DMZ forwarding all incoming traffic to the
> Linksys Router.
>
> The Actiontec has been locking up on me a lot. It seems to be happening
> when I establish more than one simultaneous IPSEC tunnel from the Linksys
> router to multiple other Linksys VPN routers at remote locations. If I have
> two tunnels open, the Actiontec has been locking up every 5 minutes.
>
> When it locks up, nothing works. I can't ping the unit, connect to
> wireless, etc.....
>
> I am running the latest firmware (QW03-3.60.1.0.5.5-GT701-WG) that Qwest has
> available.
>
> Does this sound like a firmware issue or bad hardware? (Note: I replaced
> the Actiontec with a CISCO 678 that I had lying around, which has been
> working like a champ).
>
> Thanks for the feedback,

Does it really matter if it's bad firmware or bad hardware? If you were
already to isolate the problem to this unit then just return it and get
something different. Why would you want a DSL Router when you have a
VPN router anyway? Get a boring old standard bridge device (aka modem)
with no fancy routing ability and let the VPN Router do the work.

--
WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.vpn,comp.dcom.xdsl (More info?)

That's my thinking exactly. The only reason I ended up with the Actiontec,
is that currently, that's what Qwest sends you.

Mike Schumann