X1800 XT 512: $299 - $350
X1800 XT 256: $299
X1800 XL 512: $299
X1800 XL 256: $249 - $299
X1800 GTO: $199 - $249
X1600 XT: $149
X1600 PRO: $109

Wow!

X1900 XT for $479 to compete with the upcoming $500 7900 GTX...

X1800 XT 256 for $299 to compete with the upcoming $299 7900 GT...

And the bottom end X1600 PRO for $109 to compete with the 6600 GT and upcoming 7600!

That's some serious competition for Nvidia, top to bottom.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/200603030522...
March 3, 2006 2:58:39 PM

Great news for those lucky enough to get Radeon cards to work in their home built systems..I had a miserable week trying to get a Radeon 9800 AIW pro to work in my pc a while back..when I finally got it working it did nothing as promised. Swithed to Nvidia Geforce 6800 and it worked like a gem..Radeon burned me bad I feel and I dont think I will ever feel warm and fuzzy about installing one again.
March 3, 2006 3:25:56 PM

I've had the exact opposite experience...

GF 5900... Nuff said I guess...

But that left a bad taste in my mouth.

To each has their prefs, I have a 9800 Pro, and it's clocked pretty hard...

Runs FEAR at medium... @ 1024 I'm happy :D 
Related resources
March 3, 2006 3:35:38 PM

Quote:
Great news for those lucky enough to get Radeon cards to work in their home built systems..I had a miserable week trying to get a Radeon 9800 AIW pro to work in my pc a while back..when I finally got it working it did nothing as promised. Swithed to Nvidia Geforce 6800 and it worked like a gem..Radeon burned me bad I feel and I dont think I will ever feel warm and fuzzy about installing one again.

No offense, but are you sure you were doing it right? I have installed numerous radeon and nvida cards in home built systems, invluding the AIW 9800 Pro I am currently running and have never had any major probelms what werent a result of defective parts.
March 3, 2006 4:20:40 PM

I can't speak for the initial poster or my own personal experiences but in reference to the AIW cards, I've seen little evidence of defects in the hardware but a lot of issues with the accompanying software - I'm into video editing and have closely examined every AIW product released in the last 4 years or so and every one has demonstrated these issues...but more concerning for me was the lack of support buyers were reporting after experiencing issues. No doubting the quality and versatility of the products tho!
I can't bash ATI too hard though, I'm currently using a 6800GS AGP and that proved to be the most troublesome upgrade I've ever had....it took me maybe 4 or 5 nights to get that thing working thanks to major driver and compatibility issues....2 months later there hasn't been a single driver update for this card (and there is still no WHQL certified driver for these cards!). So, with a future switch to PCI-E on the cards (and for so many others out there!) I have to say that ATI has put itself in a really strong position in my eyes. If nothing more I hope these price drops give Nvidia the much required kick up the arse - I think that after 2 years in the ascendancy they have become overconfident. Progress on the ATI mobo chipsets suddenly looks really promising too!!! Isn't competition great.
March 3, 2006 4:22:18 PM

[/sigh]Too poor to buy. :( 
March 3, 2006 4:45:58 PM

good to see prices coming back down, for the last few years the cost of graphic cards as been increasing, the top end cards 2-3 years ago where about £300 now there coming in at £450-£500.

think thats out priced a great numbers of gamers who want the best but now can't justify the price.... hopefully the doller prices will mean a decrease in the pound price ?
March 3, 2006 4:53:39 PM

I've got a 9600 AIW and it got put in without any issues at all.
I think what leaves a bad taste is people's mouths is the accompanying software that comes with it... it really sucks.
But that's not really ATI's fault, except for the decision to include it.

All in all my AIW is awesome! But people probably don't want to use the accompanying video editing software.
March 3, 2006 4:56:34 PM

Opposite experience for me too. My X1800 XL All-in-wonder is by far the best card I have ever owned. Overclocks like the dickens... 210 Mhz OVER stock, and stable as a rock!

I expect to make it to 9000 3dMarks once I properly start overclocking my processor...

I have a 4-year old 9700 PRO in a secondary machine, and it STILL plays new games very well.

My 6800 Ultra was an awesome card, too.

I tend to belive that if people have a problem with any card, it's bad luck (every manufacturer makes a dud once in a while) or they don't know how to set up their system properly.
March 3, 2006 4:58:38 PM

Quote:
I've got a 9600 AIW and it got put in without any issues at all.
I think what leaves a bad taste is people's mouths is the accompanying software that comes with it... it really sucks.
But that's not really ATI's fault, except for the decision to include it.

All in all my AIW is awesome! But people probably don't want to use the accompanying video editing software.

I have to agree, I have 2 AIW cards, and I don't use anyt of the software, since it is pretty much useless.
March 3, 2006 5:03:19 PM

The worst part for me was when I tried using the Pinnacle Studio 8 that came with mine... Horrendously crashy... especially when it was 95% complete with rendering!!?!? argghhh! :D 
March 3, 2006 5:08:21 PM

Yeah. I think that may be due to the fact that it is a lighter edition specivically for vid cards. I know some people that use the full edition and like it. I don't really like it though.
March 3, 2006 5:30:32 PM

It was okay, but it needed work. I think the regular edition would be much more stable - part of me thinks that I got a beta edition or something.
I don't like it much either - the only thing I really liked was the scene detection.

Anyways kind of off topic :p 
March 3, 2006 5:39:10 PM

True. too bad they aren't slashing prices on their other cards. I am currently debating between a few cards in the $200 range, most likely an x1600 series (for shader model 3), or an x850 series for more pipelines.
March 3, 2006 6:13:49 PM

Hey,

I am pretty sure I was doing it right. Installed it on my system..didn't work. Upgraded the PSU..didn't work :(  Read folks saying my MOBO wasn't a good match for AIW 9800 ( Radeon tech support said it was fine )
Upgraded my MOBO..needed to upgrade RAM at that point..might as well upgrade CPU then ( crying ) finally get AIW to post with computer..and find out the TV tuner was worthless..signal so snowy it looked like I was in a blizzard!! I was getting plenty of signal through the line my cable co said..even bought a booster..after rebuilding a whole pc around this card..
that was the final straw..returned it to newegg who charged me a restock fee on what may have been a defective card..i'll never know

I am not a Radeon hater! I just really felt the power of AIW was way overhyped..read MANY folks who had equally horrible experiences with AIW on Cnet..I know geneally folks who have bad expereinces write reviews..

Radeon must be doing a lot right..but their tech support in Canada which I paid for was terrible and ultimately they lost a customer. NewEgg too!

Again..not a Radeon Hater!!!..I was in love with that card before getting it and advised my dad to get one on his Dell afterwards. On a system fully tested with that card!

I am sure folks have similar experiences with nVidia..great to see Prices coming down..these cards are getting WAAAAYY too expensive!
March 3, 2006 6:21:33 PM

Yeah - I personally feel that anyone who has the privilage to buy a gcard in the USA are 10 times better off than us here in South Africa. Even if the prices did drop, we'd still be about 30% above dollar prices...

How does $1000.00 for a XTX grab you?
March 3, 2006 6:26:16 PM

Gosh,

As bad as I hear some aspects of living in SA are..paying that much for a graphic card is absurd..you should move right now..if you love Radeon I would advise Canada so when you call tech support you aren't paying international phone rates :)  ( just kidding )
March 3, 2006 6:27:33 PM

Quote:
or an x850 series for more pipelines.

The X850 XT *has* been slashed to below $200 for the PCI-express version on newegg.

That's an amazing price for a card that is still quite powerful.
March 3, 2006 6:30:44 PM

Quote:
then ( crying ) finally get AIW to post with computer..and find out the TV tuner was worthless..signal so snowy it looked like I was in a blizzard!!

Crappy experience there, sorry to hear it.

Although it *was* two generations of hardware ago... that's something to keep in mind. If people had the same attitude about Nvidia, nobody'd be buying their cards either because of the horrendous FX series.

Everybody makes mistakes, but you can't blacklist a chip designer forever if they get their act together.
March 3, 2006 6:33:59 PM

Here in SA, the kids bite the dogs... Hell, the Rottweilers don't even walk alone, they walk in packs... :D 

Just joking. SA is not as bad as the media portrays us. We just suffer alot with pricing of overseas technology and the lack of Broadband at affordable rates. I'm posting via Dialup... :cry:  Oh well, it was the XTX (read the sig - should've been a XT) or broad band....
March 3, 2006 6:36:08 PM

Yeah..it doesnt get much worse than mine..I would imagine its atypical..
Big lesson I learned..keep your tv tuner and graphics card seperate..

Does Radeon still make an AIW type card? I got the impression like one writer said..some of my probelms were software related..I believe that too.
March 3, 2006 6:44:32 PM

Quote:
Does Radeon still make an AIW type card?

They do indeed! The X1800 XL in my sig in an AIW.

Strangely enough, AIW's are now the cards to get for cheap performance. The X1900 AIW is the cheapest X1900 available, and offeres the best bang for the buck to anyone who'se willing to overclock it.

Not like the old days when AIW cards called for a $150 premium.
March 3, 2006 8:10:38 PM

Quote:

The X850 XT *has* been slashed to below $200 for the PCI-express version on newegg.

That's an amazing price for a card that is still quite powerful.

I saw it for under $200. being cheap, I was hpoing for a little more. :D 
March 3, 2006 8:33:26 PM

Hehe, well... IMHO the card is worth $220 or so... really, there's no better card until you pay $275 or more for a 7800 GT.
March 3, 2006 8:53:45 PM

Thats true. Like I said, I am just cheap/poor.

I am trying to upgrade my 3800+ and I am thinking of:
Radeon X850 XT (or a 512MB card maybe)
Opteron 170
Asrock Dual SATA-2 mobo (for the AGP and PCI-I slots, to keep my AIW 9800 Pro)
Maybe a 2GB pair of RAM to replace my 4x512 setup.

If I didn't just put down $750 on taking my wife to Aruba for my business, this would be a lot easier.
March 3, 2006 9:12:34 PM

cleeve about ur x1800xl, do u think it could be faster than an x1800xt? i saw the price, and it has 512 memory, i play some cod2 and the 512 memory would help... so is the x1800xt 256 and the x1800xl comparable in speeds at stock and overclocked?
March 3, 2006 10:51:38 PM

At identical speeds, the X1800 XL is actually faster because of the tight memory timings.

An X1800 XL at 650core/700 mem will match or beat an X1800 XT at 650 core/750 mem.
March 3, 2006 10:56:31 PM

w00t, i may get an x1800xl if i get the moneys...
March 4, 2006 12:42:04 AM

I thought the HiS X1800XT had 1.2ns GDDR3 Memory.
My card easily runs 690Mhz core/1600MHz memory usually just under 70C.
Have tested it up to 725/1670 stable no artifacts
March 4, 2006 12:44:15 AM

Actually, seems I read the XT had 1.1ns GDDR3 memory, not 1.2ns.
March 4, 2006 12:56:27 AM

if u could find the time and have the kindness in ur heart, could u enlighten me on the 1.1ns/1.2ns ratings? is that just a speed the memory can be rated at? also does ns stand for nanosecond? as u can see im confused.
March 4, 2006 12:58:55 AM

ns = nanosecond and I was referring to the memory spec rating the graphics memory is designed to run at. The lower the quicker it can access.
March 4, 2006 1:00:59 AM

and the quicker it can access = higher speeds? if thats right i think i get it :p  w00t! im a g33k! :lol: 
March 4, 2006 1:10:16 AM

It's a shame ati left a bad taste in my mouth and I use a nvidia based board. If it wasn't for these two factors, I would get an ati in a heartbeat.
March 4, 2006 1:14:37 AM

ud rather have integrated over an ati card? :lol:  u can still run an ati card on nforce chipset... and what did ati do that was bad? let me guess! ur 9800/9700 was DOA? ive owned 3 (yea im kinda young) ati cards and 0 nvidias, had no problems with the ati... id switch to nvidia if i needed a new card... i thought u could xfire in a nforce chipset? i swear some1 said that, but either way 2 cards in 1 system is overkill anyways... unless you DEMAND 100 fps in fear
March 4, 2006 3:56:43 AM

Well, the first ati card I got was the 9200se, put it on my via board.. bleh ms word screwed up and everything else with it. Second card i got was a 9800pro, used on a msi board and bleh.. no go again, games crashed randomly and it sometimes didn't show. A DOA bascially. The next card I got was the 5900 and it ran fine with my board I would still use it but I up'd to pcie so I can't. Btw, I tested the cards on my via chipset based board and my msi based board and both were screwy.. made by sapphire oem for the 9200se.

Yes I know, integrated sucks but i'm saving some money now to get a 7800gt or the newer 7900gt or whatever dx10 card is comming out. Ati solutions are nice if made by ati but, I rather have a nvidia board coupled with a nvidia solution. I just feel better with a nvid with nvid stuff.
March 4, 2006 4:27:12 AM

the problem is u used via chipset :lol:  ati cards in my experience are nothing but gold.. maybe for ur next one try an ati... i heard a lot about quality issues with older cards, but i never experienced any of those (with a 9200 9600 and x700)... i guess thats what makes fanboys, badluck :/  even though u dont seem to be a fanboy, at least not a loud annoyign one.
March 4, 2006 4:57:49 AM

Don't get me wrong though, i'm very much opposed to fanboys and I have no intention on being one (even though my last post sounded quite fanboyish). It's just I trust nvidia more so than ati at the moment in terms of my next upgrade for my computer as I run a nforce based chipset. It's the fact that I would have to return a card and loose money on restocking fees and whatever gargon they throw at the consumers and that really turns me off to get something different from whatever that currently works. If I had a ati based board I would definetly get an ati solution or whatever works best with the chipset.
March 4, 2006 5:56:04 AM

Does using a Nforce board with a ATi card influence the performance negatively? I've never had the chance to see a Nvidia board with an ATI card before.
March 4, 2006 6:11:04 AM

Quote:
Does using a Nforce board with a ATi card influence the performance negatively? I've never had the chance to see a Nvidia board with an ATI card before.

No, I use NForce3 with a 9800 Pro with no trouble and many others do to. I've seen article about the temptation being there for NVidia to make it so, but I also think that is borderline illegal (monopolistic a la Skype) if it can be proven.

Besides, if that were so, I doubt we'd be seing X1900XTX's beating all the NVidia cards on NForce4 boards.
March 4, 2006 6:14:15 AM

nah, its equal for all chipsets... for the most part. nvidia would never make a profit if they crippled ati's perforamnce when using ati cards in there chipset, theyd lose a good 30% of there customers... id say the nforce is the best chipset now... but the ati express chipset is up and comming, i still love nforce chipset tohugh :p 
March 4, 2006 6:18:30 AM

Quote:
nah, its equal for all chipsets... for the most part. nvidia would never make a profit if they crippled ati's perforamnce when using ati cards in there chipset, theyd lose a good 30% of there customers... id say the nforce is the best chipset now... but the ati express chipset is up and comming, i still love nforce chipset tohugh :p 

ULI makes good chipsets too, or does that count as nvidia/nforce now??
March 4, 2006 7:38:25 AM

Quote:
I've had an 8500 and 8500DV AIW running on my Nforce 2 board (My GF's comp now) with nothing but fantastic results.

I went looking for an ATI card, and ended up getting a 7800 GT because at the time it looked like a better value. Did I make a mistake in not going 1800XL? Maybe, maybe not, but I'm quite happy with my purchase.

I like the ATI software setup better, but the Nvidia one isn't too bad. Image quality is no longer much of an issue (ATI used to blow Nvidia away on most cards), and ATI used to be much better than Nvidia on a noise/cooling needed issue. The only issue I know of is ATI AGP cards on a VIA chipset, and that's VIA's fault for leaving a registry entry open that they weren't supposed to.
March 4, 2006 1:22:20 PM

Between 7800GT and 1800XL i'd say GT - for pure performance and bang for buck. And as far as Nvidia is concerned, they are okay. Also had a bad experience when I was alot noobier than now and got a FX5600 256mb... MAN, that card sucked... That was a rude awakening with pixel pipelines...
March 4, 2006 1:50:56 PM

The 7800GTs are actually very nice cards. Yeah they're no X1900s, but for under 300$ perform very well. One of my cards can run F.E.A.R. on 1280x960 with 2XMSAA and 16XAF over 50FPS.
March 4, 2006 5:20:20 PM

I think I will stick with the sub $170 X850XT. Yeah, it misses Shader Model 3, but it performs almost as well as the big boys in many benchmarks, and it costs about half.
!