INTEL CUTS FORECAST AS DEMAND, MARKET SHARE SLIPS

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
According to this article from Bloomberg, Intel is having a hard time competing with AMD.

``Intel is stacking up very poorly against Advanced Micro,' said Rick Whittington, a research director at Caris & Co. He cut his rating to ``underperform' from ``neutral' today. ``Intel has been sleeping for about seven years now and they thought they had AMD on the ropes.'

Read the whole thing here:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=au70rbyfuj7o&refer=top_world_news

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Actually, I like this article a bit better.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/03/intel_q1_2006_update/

Again, I don't care for the enquirers way of writing articles. Makes me think of being at the special olympics for writers.

In conclusion, another shot in the foot for Intel. If they want to stay afloat, they better concentrate on their products.

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
In conclusion, another shot in the foot for Intel. If they want to stay afloat, they better concentrate on their products.

Don't think you need to worry about them staying afloat just yet.......after all how many years ago was it that people were wondering just how long AMD could "stay afloat" and now look. See how fortunes can change with some good hard work? For me I am glad to see Intel get slapped in the face with this. For too long they have been bullying oems to use intel and now finally people are beginning to see the light and not all of Intel's bullsh#t

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I agree. As I have said on here before, I have seen a few analysts that say that their mobile division is currently the only one turning a profit. (Though a lot of that would be due to the R&D investment of an entriely new chip design).

Maybe if they continue to slide, they will open their eyes and stop being so damn stubborn. How long did it take them to admit GHz wasn't they way to go? I wonder how long before they give in and use HyperTransport??

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I agree. As I have said on here before, I have seen a few analysts that say that their mobile division is currently the only one turning a profit. (Though a lot of that would be due to the R&D investment of an entriely new chip design).

Maybe if they continue to slide, they will open their eyes and stop being so damn stubborn. How long did it take them to admit GHz wasn't they way to go? I wonder how long before they give in and use HyperTransport??

They're never going to use HTT, they're going with their CSI-HTT-Wannabe approach, but it's expected to perform on par or below that of HTT.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I know they won't I just think they should. They are too accustomed to being the market leader to accept anyone else's, especially AMD or IBM's, innovations.

Ratbait

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Ah its not who builds the best chip thats caused this. Intel did admit that AMD took an estimated point (1) out of their market share but that in itself did not cause this number.

There is a slowing of PC purchases world wide that is the culprit. Intel being #1 supplier is first to get the bullet. There will be a trickle down effect in which all manufacturers will get the pinch, AMD included.

Out of all those manufacturers who do you think is better insulated to absorb such a down turn?

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
That doesn't really make sense, since AMD's growth has been so large lately. They have posted record sales in each of the last (4?) quarters, which seems to belie your statements.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
That doesn't really make sense, since AMD's growth has been so large lately. They have posted record sales in each of the last (4?) quarters, which seems to belie your statements.

I think he's one of the just-joined-TomzForumz people who needs to sound like he's smart so he can get respect :roll:. Lord knows there's alot of those lately 8O.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006

I think he's one of the just-joined-TomzForumz people who needs to sound like he's smart so he can get respect :roll:. Lord knows there's alot of those lately 8O.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time hey mike wanna take him down?

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

....Jesus Christ Piddy

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005

Careful their Piddy, hes a mafioso from New Jersey.

Ratbait

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006

I thought this was an open discussion about Intel's numbers and AMD's numbers? Thought this was what this thread was about. Mind explaining what I said wrong?

And so WTF is it of your business that I just joined? You treat all people new or old that way?

And DVD I still see you typing with one hand. Must be tiny, use tweezers next time.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

I thought this was an open discussion about Intel's numbers and AMD's numbers? Thought this was what this thread was about. Mind explaining what I said wrong?

And so WTF is it of your business that I just joined? You treat all people new or old that way?

And DVD I still see you typing with one hand. Must be tiny, use tweezers next time.

Due to the severe influx in quantities of influencial marginially exponentially greater than.... <=== See that, that's you, that's what you sound like :p

Ratbait

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Mike, maybe my English is foreign to you. But I did write it in an 8th grade prose which I'm sure you could understand.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Mike, maybe my English is foreign to you. But I did write it in an 8th grade prose which I'm sure you could understand.

Dude, check out this, I have red spots on my T-Shirt cuz I ate a bag of frozen strawberries and wiped it on my shirt, you think it's stained? I hope not...I like this T-Shirt, it's all white and stuff.... actually it's white and red and stuff right now... :?.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005

Well, since we are having an open discussion forum, and I have already given you evidence to disprove what you said originally, here is some more:

"AMD's surge can be seen most strongly in the U.S. retail market, which accounts for about 9 percent of global PC shipments. In the first seven weeks of 2006, AMD's share in desktops in that area climbed to 81.5 percent, while Intel's has slid to 18.5 percent, Baker said. That's almost a complete reversal of their typical relative positions. In notebooks, Intel's share has declined to 63 percent, even though Baker and others generally agree that Intel enjoys a technological advantage in laptops.
The retail PC market itself is holding steady, Baker noted. "Overall volume is OK through the first six to eight weeks of the year. We're still growing in double digits in notebooks and single digits in desktops," he said." The full article can be seen here

That seems like a bit more than 1 point in a market that is hardly slumping.

Your thoughts??

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I disagree. AMD has capitalized on Intels faults and marketing schemes. They did this just by putting out a good product and in all reality, word of mouth. AMD has bitten into Intels market share and will more than likely, continue to do so.

Ratbait

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I agree with what you said. AMD market share has increased. What I am saying is that the overall industry is slowing. PC sales are slowing. Which means slow CPU sales, slow GPU sales, HD sales, etc.

Who is the first to bite the bullet when that happens? Intel.

Because AMD is not as large marketwise as Intel, and when the industry says its going to happen how badly will it hit AMD? If numbers are correct it should be identical to Intels percentage wise, if not less do to market share.

Which means as industry people say, Intel will reduce prices. Can AMD compete? I would certainly like to see the F62 price fall or any of the X2's. And I think alot here would like to see that too.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I agree with what you said. AMD market share has increased. What I am saying is that the overall industry is slowing. PC sales are slowing. Which means slow CPU sales, slow GPU sales, HD sales, etc.

Who is the first to bite the bullet when that happens? Intel.

Because AMD is not as large marketwise as Intel, and when the industry says its going to happen how badly will it hit AMD? If numbers are correct it should be identical to Intels percentage wise, if not less do to market share.

Which means as industry people say, Intel will reduce prices. Can AMD compete? I would certainly like to see the F62 price fall or any of the X2's. And I think alot here would like to see that too.

Going by real logic, AMD should be the one to "bite the bullet" first. If there are declines in sales as you claim, than AMD should be taking a major hit since they supposedly don't have high sales anyways. Intel, with all the money they have and dominance, they shouldn't be taking a hit as large as AMD. BTW: Still waiting for your response on my Strawberry Shirt dilemma.

Ratbait

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
What you want a bibb?

Now comes the tricky part, if AMD bites it bad, and reduces prices, can they keep up with the stampede that will happen?

Like the rush for X360 will there be enough to go around?