Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Starting with the system specs:

Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
CPU= Socket 939 Athlon 64 3000+
RAM= 1 Gb (512x2) Corsair Value PC-3200
VGA= Saphire ATI X800GT
HDD= Maxtor SATA 200GB

Other random components installed like front bay media card reader and 2 CD/DVD drives, pretty sure these have nothing to do with the issue.

The install went off without a hitch, all drivers installed, bios is properly configured and windows recognizes all components as it should. The machine is up and running beautifully but when I tried to update to Service Pack 2 it locked up about 3/4 through the installation. I did a hard reboot and tried to remove SP2 and start over again but the computer locked up again.

This is my first build with the NForce 4 chipset so I am a little unfamiliar with it and am wondering if maybe there is some kind of compatibility issue between it and SP2. Any advice would be helpful.

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
As far as it being a compatabilty issue, I highly doubt it. I am running SP2 on my newly build rig at home. The only difference is that my SP2 is slipstreamed into my installation CD.

How were you installing it? Were you using windows update? Or did you download it seperately? I don't really know what to tell you just yet, but I really don't think that it's an issue with the chipset.

Banusflakes

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Thanks for the reply. I played around with the ram voltages and got it to work fine. CPU Stability Test 6.0 ran for a good long time with no hard lock and I made sure to do a little gaming on it to be extra sure that there were no issues. I gave the machine to the owner on Saturday and he's been very pleased with it.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
This is my first build with the NForce 4 chipset so I am a little unfamiliar with it and am wondering if maybe there is some kind of compatibility issue between it and SP2. Any advice would be helpful.

Even though you are not using an IDE hard drive, make sure the IDE drivers you are using are from MS. The nVidia ones suck.